The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do we need role models? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Early this morning Dr. Stephen Hawking Passed away. According to doctors he lived about 45 years than he had a right to given his illness. He made wonderful contributions to my field of teaching... Physics.

Sadly he was the last of my real role models either in Science or Magic.

Sir Isaac: long gone
Dr. Albert Einstein (happy birthday btw) gone 5 years before my birth
Dr. Richard Feynman: Left us in 1988
Stephen Hawking now gone.

I got to see him "speak" live once. It was a thrill. Anyway, I no longer have anyone to look up to and aspire to in y life. Is that OK? I guess it has to be. I think of people who are currently working hard in Physics... They are fine learned people who do good work, but somehow never achieved role model status in my life.

Kind of weird huh?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Wheeler, Thorne, Dyson, Aspect, .., there are people ... Kaku? Science is happening.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Certainly, there are many fine scientists doing fine research and work out there. Some are finding success too. Kip Thorne who you mentioned was just awarded the Nobel prize. I've read his work; he is very good. This is just my opinion, but something set Hawking apart from the rest. There are many great scientists, but only a handful that can go one step beyond to think of what has not been thought before. Again, this is just my own opinion and feeling.

Thanks for the response.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do we need role models? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL