We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Liber Vagatorum (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TH10111
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of TH10111
The Liber Vagatorum is one of the oldest publications that references specific card cheating techniques, which appear in a single sentence.
Although there is an english translation, I wasn't convinced by it's accuracy, so I've had a go myself.

I've documented my thoughts in a blog post: https://th10111.wordpress.com/2018/03/17/liber-vagatorum/
However, I do not speak German so I expect there are some errors.

I thought a few people here may find it interesting and may even be able to contribute towards a more definitive translation.

TH
hcs
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
304 Posts

Profile of hcs
Joner - gambler
beseflerey - cheating
brieff - card / deck
mit abheben einem dem andern - cutting on the right place in collusion
boglein - tiny arc / crimp
spies - pike (infantry weapon)
cheat with boglein and spies - cheating with bridge and jog
mit dem gefetzten brieff - stripped cards
ubern boden - (dealing) from the bottom of the deck
mit dem andres teil, uber schrank - with/to the other,from the top of the deck (dealing normal).

Hans-Christian (native German)
Low Vision Marking System * Melencolia - a balanced 4x4 magic square. I love the method because of its simplicity. Even better: Once learned the method is impossible to forget and you can do it under fire!
http://www.lybrary.com/melencolia-p-921956.html or at ozmd@solka.de

Euphoria - an associative 4x4 magic square for any magic sum and any cell for the lowest or highest number selected by a spectator, using a sequence of 16 numbers and skipping only one single number in the case of a doubly-even or odd total!
hcs
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
304 Posts

Profile of hcs
Mit dem gefetzten brieff - (generally) treated cards (from "fetzen" with the slang meaning of "arbeiten" - to work)
Low Vision Marking System * Melencolia - a balanced 4x4 magic square. I love the method because of its simplicity. Even better: Once learned the method is impossible to forget and you can do it under fire!

Euphoria - an associative 4x4 magic square for any magic sum and any cell for the lowest or highest number selected by a spectator, using a sequence of 16 numbers and skipping only one single number in the case of a doubly-even or odd total!
hcs
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
304 Posts

Profile of hcs
Mit dem gefetzten brieff, ubern boden, - a marked by means of a thumb-tack or a special prick card (literally "a marked by an injury on the back card")
mit dem andres teil, uber schrank - playing in collusion (literally "with the other part (player) over cross"

Hans-Christian Solka

MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2418 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2018, hcs wrote:
Joner - gambler
beseflerey - cheating
brieff - card / deck
mit abheben einem dem andern - cutting on the right place in collusion
boglein - tiny arc / crimp
spies - pike (infantry weapon)
cheat with boglein and spies - cheating with bridge and jog
mit dem gefetzten brieff - stripped cards
ubern boden - (dealing) from the bottom of the deck
mit dem andres teil, uber schrank - with/to the other,from the top of the deck (dealing normal).

Hans-Christian (native German)

Where appears the word "dealing" in the text? You rightly put it into brackets!
Remarkable is Dr. Volkmann's indication about the Pfortzheimer Ausgabe of the Liber in his MAGIE-Series "Geschichte der Zauberkunst"!
hcs
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
304 Posts

Profile of hcs
Dr. Volkmann's indication about the Pfortzheimer Ausgabe of the Liber in his MAGIE-Series "Geschichte der Zauberkunst"!
See Magie (1940)7

Click here to view/download attached file.

TH10111
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of TH10111
Hey Hans-Christian,

Thank you for your input.

I think you have confirmed a lot of my translation.

It seems that the Liber Vagatorum was probably one of the earliest publications mentioning many of these techniques.
I'm surprised it's not spoken about more...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Liber Vagatorum (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL