The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best Quality of Linking Rings. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I did a search on this but couldn't pull anything.

I am looking to purchase some top quality linking rings for parlour and stage. Where should I look for some decent rings and what brand?

Thank you.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Appreciate your search for me.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
If you are going to be doing a lot of shows with them I would suggest the magnetic locking titanium rings. Not sure who makes them but they are indeed about the best on the market. They don't dent, scratch, fade, or kink up in any way. You can throw them off a building; since they are titanium they are very, very damage resistant. They are indeed high dollar though. Last time I saw them they were about 375.00 for the 3 ring set, and about 500.00 for the full 8 ring set.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
The absolute best rings on the market are Joe Porper's, in my opinion. His rings are works of art. They are also very expensive, but since you said you wanted top quality, maybe that isn't an issue. Hope this helps!

PS: Chris- Maybe Joe made those rings? Sounds like his kind of thing.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Go with Porper or Owens (both Southern Cal).
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Well, I will have to start saving up. They are pricey, but a good investment I think.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I would go for the Owen 10-inch. Get the set of 8. To my knowledge Porper only makes a three ring set. In addition he makes the spinning/locker and the split ring set. These are from $300 to $700 for just two rings.

look at http://www.owenmagic.com

and

http://www.porpercreations.com

Then decide.

Note: Chris Capehart suggest the cheap rings, as he bangs the H out of his and replaces 'em often. His move (the crash) works better with a cheaper flexible ring.

But, I think the Owen or Porper's are better.

OH, just realized... I have a spare set of Porpers for sale (3 rings)... PM me if interested. $145 plus shipping.

Wrong link. Try www.porperoriginals.com.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have a set of three Owen 12 inch rings I have used for many years. They are quite durable and extremely well made. They are tubular stainless steel.

If you get them, I strongly recommend NOT polishing them, but letting them acquire a natural dullness. This may sound completely contrary to everything you might believe. But when I explained this to Gertrude Smith, she understood perfectly.

I had returned the key because I had damaged it, and it needed to be repaired -- my fault, not theirs. I called to get the cost of the repair and she said, "Do you want me to polish the ring? I looks pretty beat up."

I said, "Lord no! Never."

And I told her why. I had been at a magic convention where I had watched several performers do the rings. From any distance at all, all the rings were totally invisible. All you could see were two points of light reflecting off each ring. All, that is, except for one set of rings that had a dull finish. At stage distances they looked fine, and were visible for their entire circumference.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
While you are saving up for the Supeme set, go here for your practice set.

http://www.klamm-magic.com/cgi-bin/web_s......cart_id=

He has been supplying rings to magicians for a very long time.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
12 inch Owens will last forever. Cheaper rings will have a weld seam that detracts from the visual appearance. The aluminum rings have easier and more invisible locking keys but they sound tinny and besides you don't need a locking key.
Clayton Cavaness
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
56 Posts

Profile of Clayton Cavaness
I have had a set of the brand name "True Tone" since 1973. They still look and sound great.

I don't know who makes them. Maybe someone else might know of this brand?
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
Jay Marshall suggusted that I have a set replated and polished by a plater. I made a friend with the plater, and he triple plated and polished( very important) a cheap set for 50.00. The finish is fantastic and durable. Leave it to Jay, he always has the best advice!
It's Fun to be Fooled
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Thanks for the advice Mark. That sounds like a viable option.

I was speaking with a friend of mine and he said something pretty wise. "Does the audience know you are using 300-400 dollar Owen rings?"

That got me thinking.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
"True Tone" made by Enardoe.

The late Fred Rickard made the Merv Taylor "Orb Eternal" rings, then went to work for Owen and made them for Les until he died. Now Alan Zagorski makes them.

Joe Porper's new Mini Ghost Rings are awesome, and his larger "spinning" and "Split" ring sets are frightening.

As soon as his computer virus is fixed, go to http://www.porpercreations.com and see them.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ChinaMan
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of ChinaMan
Joe porper's web-site is back!
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
Wow, thanks Pete, for mentioning the Merv Taylor "Orb Eternal" rings. I have a full set of 8 of those stainless rings in the 8 inch size, and I love them. I've tried many times to find reference to them on the web. I was beginning to think nobody else had ever heard of them. Smile

Greg
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Does anyone know where I could find an orignal set of OHO rings by Okito? It is a two ring set with one 4 inch ring and one 6 inch ring.

Thanks,

Bob
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
The Porper Rings are the best rings I've seen ...
Four Jokers Magician
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Four Jokers Magician
Ninja rings are a must. I couldn't believe what Shoot Ogawa does with them on his Ninja Ring DVD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best Quality of Linking Rings. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL