The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Perfect Bottom Deal (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Hey arnold.... are those the cards I sent way back??
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
MasterGrip
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of MasterGrip
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2018, Rachmaninov wrote:
Guys you are tough ! I would like to see your bottom deal or indicate us some links of good ones. Finger small movements are impossible to remove : the card have to pass over them one way or another !

Can you lecture us more on what is and isn't possible with Bottom Dealing while asking where to learn the move, please?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Sorry master grip, I don’t understand your question. What do you mean exactly ?
Taylor Haws
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Taylor Haws
Jason's bottom deal seems pretty good to me. there are a lot of interesting subtleties that go into it and it is certainly years better than mine. so please understand that I'm not attacking his bottom deal, but his claim to have a perfect bottom deal.
even if his bottom deal was on the level of that of Steve forte, Richard turner, Jason England, or Darwin Ortiz, I would still laugh at his claim to have a perfect bottom deal.
in Jason England's 1-on-1, he grabs air a couple of times.(although this was probably because he was trying to talk and deal at the same time) I even once saw Steve forte miss the bottom card. obviously they are extraordinary cardmen, but even they are not perfect, and neither are their bottom deals. same goes for Richard turner and Darwin Ortiz. then this guy named Jason Ladayne comes along with a bottom deal that is far inferior to that of the people I mentioned above claiming to do it perfectly, but then only filming it in low lighting from the best possible angles without sound. its honestly kind of funny.
Michael Basic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
13 Posts

Profile of Michael Basic
What I don't understand is...why do magicians always think we should do things like laymen? If we handle cards professionally, it shouldn't seem odd that the way we hold them, deal them, count them, move them, etc. is different than someone who doesn't. If my grip as a magician is different than the grip of a laymen, it should be chalked up to the fact that my handling of cards is on a whole other level than that of my spectators. My goal when performing card magic is to have my spectator not see the sleights so that they cannot fathom how the effect happened...however I handle the cards to make that happen is how I handle the cards. The only spectators who are worried about our dealing grips are other magicians.
Taylor Haws
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Taylor Haws
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, Michael Basic wrote:
What I don't understand is...why do magicians always think we should do things like laymen? If we handle cards professionally, it shouldn't seem odd that the way we hold them, deal them, count them, move them, etc. is different than someone who doesn't. If my grip as a magician is different than the grip of a laymen, it should be chalked up to the fact that my handling of cards is on a whole other level than that of my spectators. My goal when performing card magic is to have my spectator not see the sleights so that they cannot fathom how the effect happened...however I handle the cards to make that happen is how I handle the cards. The only spectators who are worried about our dealing grips are other magicians.

I agree with this in a magic context. nobody denies that his BD is fine for tricks and demonstrations and most laymen won't notice the grip. however, if he was at the card table actually trying to cheat, chances are that somebody would at least notice something strange, and that is the last thing you want when trying to cheat at cards. besides, he claims to have a perfect bottom deal, since when does perfect mean, "will fool most laymen"?
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, Michael Basic wrote:

A very small number of American magicians pay 100% of their bills by performing for lay audiences. That small group doesn't publish much -- publishing events like The Magic of Johnny Thompson are a big deal. The vast majority of magicians -- even if they are good -- need to supplement their income by selling products to the amateur magic community. This means either creating, publishing, or teaching. If you want amateurs to spend money on you, it's better to be seen as having an advanced skill level, beyond the reach of Joe Averageperson. Among other things, that usually means, "Don't hold the deck in a weird way."
Michael Basic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
13 Posts

Profile of Michael Basic
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, AaronSterling wrote:
A very small number of American magicians pay 100% of their bills by performing for lay audiences. That small group doesn't publish much -- publishing events like The Magic of Johnny Thompson are a big deal. The vast majority of magicians -- even if they are good -- need to supplement their income by selling products to the amateur magic community. This means either creating, publishing, or teaching. If you want amateurs to spend money on you, it's better to be seen as having an advanced skill level, beyond the reach of Joe Averageperson. Among other things, that usually means, "Don't hold the deck in a weird way."

Fair enough...I can definitely agree with that sentiment. I guess my post would have been better in response to one of the myriad of threads on the Café about this sort of thing in the context of performing for laymen. My post was also not a defense of the OPs claim of a perfect bottom. It's equally silly to make such a claim about your own level of skill. Personally, I'd rather be so good at something that someone else calls it perfect.
Taylor Haws
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Taylor Haws
A very small number of American magicians pay 100% of their bills by performing for lay audiences. That small group doesn't publish much -- publishing events like The Magic of Johnny Thompson are a big deal. The vast majority of magicians -- even if they are good -- need to supplement their income by selling products to the amateur magic community. This means either creating, publishing, or teaching. If you want amateurs to spend money on you, it's better to be seen as having an advanced skill level, beyond the reach of Joe Averageperson. Among other things, that usually means, "Don't hold the deck in a weird way." [/quote]

this is true to a certain extent. magicians do make money by selling products by appearing very skillful. but the mechanics grip and full grip bottom deal were not invented by magicians. in fact, it was magicians who popularized the erdnase method of bottom dealing.
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2018, Taylor Haws wrote:
the mechanics grip and full grip bottom deal were not invented by magicians. in fact, it was magicians who popularized the erdnase method of bottom dealing.

Are you claiming that Expert at the Card Table is something other than a book of legerdemain?
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, Taylor Haws wrote:
in Jason England's 1-on-1, he grabs air a couple of times.(although this was probably because he was trying to talk and deal at the same time)

It's not because of trying to talk and deal at the same time. It's because I was trying to do the best possible bottom deal I could for the camera. To do that requires relaxing and trying to maintain a near-perfect rhythm while holding the deck as softly as possible. If you achieve all of that, your bottom deal will look great. The problem is that your likelihood of missing goes up. If I was performing a trick or routine where I had to nail the bottom, I'd probably tighten up a bit and make sure that I got it. It wouldn't be the prettiest bottom I'm capable of, but it would be more surefire.

Jason

PS: A similar thing happens when you're riffle stacking. The best riffle stacking techniques involve reducing the hesitation before/during the holdbacks to as little as possible and also not looking at your hands. Unfortunately, while those are the techniques that look the best, they also increase your miss frequency since they're so hard to do.
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Taylor Haws
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Taylor Haws
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2018, AaronSterling wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2018, Taylor Haws wrote:
the mechanics grip and full grip bottom deal were not invented by magicians. in fact, it was magicians who popularized the erdnase method of bottom dealing.

Are you claiming that Expert at the Card Table is something other than a book of legerdemain?

most experts will tell you that Erdnase was not a serious card cheat, but simply a magician who was interested in card cheating. besides, that was over a hundred years ago. what was good back then may not still hold up. back then, cards were of a quality such that you needed to have a good grip of the cards in order to deal off the bottom. we do not have that restriction anymore, so there is almost no reason to use erdnase grip.
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Taylor Haws: It sounds as though I agree with you then, and I just didn't understand your last post. Or maybe your post would have benefited from one more sentence!
Taylor Haws
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Taylor Haws
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2018, JasonEngland wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, Taylor Haws wrote:
in Jason England's 1-on-1, he grabs air a couple of times.(although this was probably because he was trying to talk and deal at the same time)

It's not because of trying to talk and deal at the same time. It's because I was trying to do the best possible bottom deal I could for the camera. To do that requires relaxing and trying to maintain a near-perfect rhythm while holding the deck as softly as possible. If you achieve all of that, your bottom deal will look great. The problem is that your likelihood of missing goes up. If I was performing a trick or routine where I had to nail the bottom, I'd probably tighten up a bit and make sure that I got it. It wouldn't be the prettiest bottom I'm capable of, but it would be more surefire.

Jason

PS: A similar thing happens when you're riffle stacking. The best riffle stacking techniques involve reducing the hesitation before/during the holdbacks to as little as possible and also not looking at your hands. Unfortunately, while those are the techniques that look the best, they also increase your miss frequency since they're so hard to do.

thanks Jason, I'm a huge fan of your work.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1669 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Quote:
most experts will tell you that Erdnase was not a serious card cheat, but simply a magician who was interested in card cheating. besides, that was over a hundred years ago. what was good back then may not still hold up.

I'm not sure most experts on Erdnase would agree with this definitive statement. We still don't know who he was, let alone whether he was a magician or card cheat (or both). In fact, the book may have been written by more than one author.

As far as the techniques go, I think they're still relevant 100 years on. So do many others.

Marty
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Mr. England - I am working on the BD using your video as my main resource. I think that all the grips that use the diagonal pressure points don't work for me due to the particular shape/contours of my hand. The second half of your video has been very helpful in this regard as you give alternatives to the "standard" grips. Thanks!
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2018, rnaviaux wrote:
Mr. England - I am working on the BD using your video as my main resource. I think that all the grips that use the diagonal pressure points don't work for me due to the particular shape/contours of my hand. The second half of your video has been very helpful in this regard as you give alternatives to the "standard" grips. Thanks!

If you decided that after a year or so of constant struggle, then you may be right. If you decided that after only a few weeks or a few months of struggle, then you're probably wrong. Only a competent coach could tell you for sure if you abandoned the better technique too soon.

Regardless, I'm happy that something in my video was helpful to you.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
If anyone has the opportunity to get a private lesson with Mr. England I wholeheartedly recommend you doing just that. Within the first sentence Jason was able to clarify the trouble I had with the bottom deal and what I needed to do to get a grip on it. (pun intended) Everything after that was just icing on the cake.

Also I am re-watching Mr. England's Bottom Deal video available on Theory 11 (No, I don't work for them or for any magic dealer for that matter.) and understanding that when he says "x, y and z" then that is exactly what he means. It's pretty much all there.
Taylor Haws
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Taylor Haws
True, Jason England is a beast.
Thomas Gilroy
View Profile
New user
Ireland
70 Posts

Profile of Thomas Gilroy
Honestly, I also felt Jason Ladanye's video came off as arrogant and self-aggrandizing. Moreover, he has barely commented in this thread beyond the original post, which gives me the impression that his post was purely for self-promotion. Considering how he publicly called out Daniel Madison for his "better than Erdnase" comments, it also comes off as a little hypocritical.

I don't mean to attribute these motivations or traits to Jason personally, I don't know him, and he seems to be well-liked. This is just how this video and thread has impressed upon me in this instance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Perfect Bottom Deal (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL