The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Jacob's Ladder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Maclean
View Profile
New user
Denver, Colorado
6 Posts

Profile of Maclean
This is a nice little toy that I made up a few years ago.
It is built on a 115,00 volt neon sign transformer.
The antenna are 4' long and made of 5/8" solid cold roll steel.
On top of each is a 1" steel ball bearing. - These had to be heated in a coal forge until glowing hot and allowed to slowly cool. This annealed the hard steel and allowed me to drill a hole for fitting.
The under each green fiberglass insulator is a sleeve and set screw arrangement for adjusting the distance at the base of the antenna.
You're probably looking at this and thinking "Holy crap! With all the exposed, live electrical connections - That thing is Dangerous!"
Well, you would be correct gentle reader.
That is why I have a strict policy that only responsible children 8 years and older can play with it ;-)

Mac

I'm new at posting here so hopefully I understand how photos are done.

Click here to view attached image.
Maclean
View Profile
New user
Denver, Colorado
6 Posts

Profile of Maclean
Here's one in action

Click here to view attached image.
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Jacob's ladders are fascinating to watch as the sparks climb between the antennas. Have you also found a way to incorporate this in a magic trick/performance?
Maclean
View Profile
New user
Denver, Colorado
6 Posts

Profile of Maclean
I'm not ready for performance- right now I'm studying and honing my skills while using friends and family as test subjects ;-)
It would be great in the back ground for a mad scientist act or maybe in an act to summon spirits "because the dimming life forces of the passed are drawn to the electric current to recharge their vigor"
I built this just on a whim and was able to sell it fairly quickly- whether it's used for for performance or it just sits in his living room looking cool - I just don't know...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Very intelligent of you, as you are skilled enough to make such a unique principle of mad scientist science.

In magic, Jacob's ladder is very different, it is a rolled newspaper production that turns into a newspaper ladder reaching high into the air.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Jacob's Ladder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL