The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » NFW - how is it holding up? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Special user
Reviewer EndersGame
867 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
NFW was released around 15 years ago now.

How is it holding up? Are people still using it regularly?

And how does it stack up against more recent packet trick releases? It used to be THE packet trick of choice for many - is that still the case, or has material come out since that has relegated it to the background?

I haven't really kept up with the more popular packet tricks over the last 10 years of so, but I don't seem to notice NFW mentioned as often as it used to be.

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==

Want me to write a review of your playing cards or magic? Contact me via Private Message.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
4166 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Richard Sanders released "ACE" a couple years ago. Basically same effect with better made gaff. NFW was a knockoff of an older Sanders effect that used either 5's or 10's called "Supercards" or something like that. The dvd with "ACE" has some fresh ideas and alternate moves.

So... both and/or all of the above hold up very well to this day. I know I use it a lot and get great reactions.
Cancer Sux

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13397 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've always liked NFW. It's still a great effect. But then Penguin Magic released ""No Joke" which is the same ending but it's much more direct as it eliminates the turning over of the jokers, and goes directly into the jokers changing into aces while the spectators hands are covering them. So you might say it eliminates all the fluff.

I like it a lot and have been using it in lieu of NFW.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
EndersGame
View Profile
Special user
Reviewer EndersGame
867 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
No Joke is just a different handling and uses the same gaffs as NFW, is that right?

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==

Want me to write a review of your playing cards or magic? Contact me via Private Message.
ebackes88
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of ebackes88
Nfw is awesome,I use it all the time https://youtu.be/-wCVjW6chk8
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
674 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13397 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2018, EndersGame wrote:
No Joke is just a different handling and uses the same gaffs as NFW, is that right?

Correct. Quite ingenious, though.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1511 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2018, daffydoug wrote:
I've always liked NFW. It's still a great effect. But then Penguin Magic released ""No Joke" which is the same ending but it's much more direct as it eliminates the turning over of the jokers, and goes directly into the jokers changing into aces while the spectators hands are covering them. So you might say it eliminates all the fluff.

I like it a lot and have been using it in lieu of NFW.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Pen......ORM=VIRE
Remember, slightly less than two present of all UFO sightings turn out to be actual extraterrestrial craft.
Borrow three wide brimmed felt hats from the audience.
Dr. Harlan Tarbell
FrankFindley
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Peter Pellikaan has taken the plot in reverse and added one further step with his How is this possible? trick.

https://youtu.be/0TX_xr4IeeE

Of course, this version is only for table magic. It is available directly from him: https://www.pellikaancardmagic.com
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
674 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I bumped up MB's old post about NFW- what a great trick thread. just sayin.
deanr201
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of deanr201
This was one of the first packet tricks I purchased. back when I was much younger. I think after finding out the method and seeing the gaffs I thought "Meh" but I have started using it again and the response is great! plus It packs nice and small.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16788 Posts

Profile of joseph
The cards wore out after 3,000 uses.. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
2140 Posts

Profile of todsky
One of the only packet tricks I still use regularly. I came up with an alternate handling for it: some day I’ll put it on video and share it here.
TODSKY'S MAGIC SHOP: www.magicstore.ca
We carry Murphy's Magic, Ellusionist products, Bizarre Magick, etc.
EndersGame
View Profile
Special user
Reviewer EndersGame
867 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Someone earlier in this thread recommended ACE by Richard Sanders as an improvement on NFW by Gary Freed.

I'd love to hear some comments from others on the Richard Sanders effect - would you recommend purchasing this instead of NFW?

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
4166 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Since I was the one, I will give you some of my reasons.
ACE has a dvd rather than xeroxed instructions, easier to follow
More variations are taught
Gimmick is made better IMO (plus gimmick only refills available from Richards site) at a lower price.
(Or, if you prefer, if your gimmick wears out over a ton of use, you can replace with NFW type gimmick) I have found two alternative ways to fix up a gimmick (since I gaff my own in Phoenix back) One (I am pretty sure) is the same as Richard uses and the other is as simple but works better than the NFW item used.
Cancer Sux

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » NFW - how is it holding up? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL