The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marc Spelmann at BGT - FANTASTIC (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8597 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, even this thread is quite in contrast to the other Café thread on this topic http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=36

I can't believe some of the perceptions included from many here. It is a very jaded Penny these days.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
16299 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Some of the time, critics are like eunuchs describing a blue movie...
NEW RELEASE - VALID-DICTION BOOKLET
www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
tomd
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of tomd
I've had many of my layman share this with me (to the point where I see the thumbnail, and have to interrupt them saying "seen it"). Selfishly, I think Marc made a bit of a fatal error when doing the reveals (minus Simon's). He should have had the clips play, and as the reveal happened on video, ask the judges to reveal their chosen thing after each clip. Most of my layman friends just presumed he had a bunch of videos prepared for when he knew the information. I know it's not the method, but having them sit there comfortably thinking they knew how it worked (when they didn't) is just as bad... well ok, I had to sit there listening to them talk down the trick, saying how easy it was to figure out. And it was painful. A lot of people I knew completely discredited for that reason.

I was so close to saying "Oh ffs, you are so wrong it's unreal! Let me explain why..". But I didn't! You owe me a beer Marc!

On a more serious note, considering this show is all about the performers personal stories and struggles, Marc nailed it. It was a beautiful magic act.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1192 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
None of the people that I talked to thought about multiple video because well...that would be nearly impossible with something like the rubix cube / booktest.

Sleepy
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I think it's [as a mentalist] it's a wonderful idea to have a routine that ppl will think it's done by 'x'

They will be so sure it's done by 'x'

It's obvious it was done by 'x'

... tick tock tick tock

Wait a minute to do that he would have needed millions of videos all cued up... hmm

If you don't do that - they might be thinking it was done by 'y'

And it really only could be done by 'y'...

When you did in fact do it by 'y'... argh
smike
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of smike
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2018, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
It wasn’t faux heartstring tugging stuff, the story behind that was completely true, many of us saw that unfold through Marc’s facebook posts at the time.

I'm not suggesting the story was fake, just the presentation of it. It really activates my almonds when sentimental stuff gets utilised like that on these talent shows. You know how on X Factor someone will say "My grandad was hit by a car, and it turned out he was on his way to the postbox to send in an X Factor application for me because he *voice breaks* believed in me so much."
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3091 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
This does not fall into that category at all. The use of Isabella had a practical element too because it set the timeline of the predictions due to the age that she was at each stage of the reveal. Much more powerful than simply a video saying “The date is X”.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
corindaman
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of corindaman
The only problem Marc will have is......... How do you top his first performance? I am really looking forward to seeing that!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
16841 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Loved it ... There seemed to be a lot of editing ... They may have unknowingly taken a bit of the sting out of the effect .. but it was still AMAZING .... As far as providing a false narrative of multiple video's .. Nothing wrong with that .. Within a few hours the stars will ask the production crew and find out that they just lost their best explanation!!!!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Absolutely beautiful, touching, REAL magic! Congratulations, Marc!

One for the old guys! It's never too late.

Bless you, man.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3133 Posts

Profile of takeachance
It was superb, and it's performances like this that catapult the art in the eyes of the general public to astonishing. They will talk about what they saw for years to come. Beautiful.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6106 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Actually the emotional heart tugging strings sort of fits in with BGT. It was a shrewd move to get through to the next round. The few people I know who seen it weren't impressed by the "tricks" and worked out quite a bit how it was done. I liked it from the point of view it made Marc human and likable which will probably go a long way to opening doors with the media. He is there to further his career after all. look at Ryland ( not sure how you spell his name) He was famous for crying his eyes out when he got through on xfactor. Absolutely terrible singer but now hosts so many tv shows must be a millionaire by now. ( and he is awful on all of them no talent)So if you want to further your career in the British media this was probably a wise move. I like Marc I hope it works out for him.

If you want a full giude on how to make it on BGT then this man has you covered Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdwjEk38Bc0
Mr. Dural
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
I think Marc tapped into real emotion which is a double edged sword. At first, like most, I was completely moved by the story - that's what good magic/mentalism should do. However, upon reflection, I can now see how pulling heartstrings by using such a situation to win or progress in a competition for self gain can be seen negatively.
truman
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2018, Maddies Ghost wrote:
What is the context for the ending?It isn't mind reading as the reveal is predetermined,there is no"i had a dream" no anything,so are we to assume it's psychic powers?

In terms of presentation, one option is that the baby has precognition or possibly the ability to influence the outcome of future events. That's a little far-fetched being that the substance of the predictions is completely trivial information, which is usually the dissatisfying feature of claiming to predict the future. People always wonder why the seer wouldn't buy a winning lottery ticket or warn people away from avoidable disasters.

Another option is that Spelmann has the ability to "provoke synchronicity" or to influence the judges to mirror the selections that the baby made in the past.

Beyond all that, of course, the real magic is having a healthy baby.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6106 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2018, truman wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2018, Maddies Ghost wrote:
What is the context for the ending?It isn't mind reading as the reveal is predetermined,there is no"i had a dream" no anything,so are we to assume it's psychic powers?

In terms of presentation, one option is that the baby has precognition or possibly the ability to influence the outcome of future events. That's a little far-fetched being that the substance of the predictions is completely trivial information, which is usually the dissatisfying feature of claiming to predict the future. People always wonder why the seer wouldn't buy a winning lottery ticket or warn people away from avoidable disasters.

Another option is that Spelmann has the ability to "provoke synchronicity" or to influence the judges to mirror the selections that the baby made in the past.

Beyond all that, of course, the real magic is having a healthy baby.

Anything can be seen negatively or positively that is the nature of reality. that's where the term "point of view" comes in. the public sees it as entertainment mostly. Only mentalists worry about demonstrating or trying to appear to demonstrate phenomena. Raw Mentalism doesn't really exist anymore on mainstream media. Marc is a good magician/mentalist. Well seasoned and professional. Yet he referred to his struggle to get enough work to the panel. I think Marc is focusing on making the most of this break. I don't see any negatives. But that's just "my point of view". Maybe I'm just a Mindreader but my guess is his priorities are to look after his family especially after what they have gone through. I doubt hes worried about being seen as a genuine psychic.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
2774 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Excellent!
Maddies Ghost
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Maddies Ghost
What next for his semi final routine ?Ashes on arm using his dead Grandmas ashes he recently interred,followed by video of him digging in the Cemetary and camera zooms in to the coffin lid and lo and behold on the plaque is the word Simon Cowell chose.
Mr. Dural
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
He could do something with his daughter that will continue the storyline. It would have to a lighter piece- if he goes for another tearjerker they will turn on him.
He could talk about the days of being a magician before he had a family and thread together some effects about looking for the real essence of magic - and all the choices somehow add up to his wife name...or something.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6106 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I would go towards blowing their minds with his best Mentalism. He's got a good platform now they like him. I think it would be a mistake to continue with the family thing. Do the thing no one is expecting. Be unpredictable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marc Spelmann at BGT - FANTASTIC (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL