The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marc Spelmann at BGT - FANTASTIC (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2018, mindpunisher wrote:
I doubt hes worried about being seen as a genuine psychic.

He's most certainly not worried about that. I would suppose, however, that he has a clear inner dialogue about which mental ability he's demonstrating for entertainment purposes.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2606 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
This was a performance for the ages. It was profound. It put thngs in perspective.

Those who are nitpicking trivialities (such as which abilities were being demonstrated) are, in their own way, helping to make Marc's point. These are the silly little things that concern us until life comes along, kicks us in the stomach, and shows us what really matters. Pay close attention to what Marc said:

"Now, if I told you that I knew this exact outcome yesterday, a week ago, or a month ago, you'd say, 'Well, that would have to be magic.' Some people would. But it's not real magic. It's interesting. Intriguing. Maybe clever. Some might even say 'amazing.' But it's not real magic. See, for me, 'real magic' changed two years ago. This, to me, is real magic..."
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2018, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Those who are nitpicking trivialities (such as which abilities were being demonstrated) are, in their own way, helping to make Marc's point.

Or rather having a conversation about a specific point... nitpicking trivialities?
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1106 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Always been a fan and admirer of Marc’s. Was so proud to see him represent us so well. Best to you, sir!
T.I.T.E.!
http://reddevilmentalism.blogspot.com

F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2606 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2018, truman wrote:
Quote:
Those who are nitpicking trivialities (such as which abilities were being demonstrated) are, in their own way, helping to make Marc's point.

Or rather having a conversation about a specific point... nitpicking trivialities?

Yes. Nitpicking trivialities.

There are more important things in life than magic tricks.

That was kind of the point.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
Yes. Nitpicking trivialities.

There are more important things in life than magic tricks.

That was kind of the point.

We're in a forum dedicated to the "general discussion of mentalism." Discouraging that discussion to teach life lessons instead doesn't seem to be in the spirit of where this conversation is taking place.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6117 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
This isn't a general discussion though. Its a discussion about a very specific and unique act perfect for BGT. I don't think it discourages anyone to talk about any aspect of Mentalism as all areas have been covered. I think it makes us look deeper at why this worked for BGT. Everybody's post in this thread is valid. People can take what they want and leave what they don't from any one of them.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1245 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2018, Mr. Dural wrote:
A strong emotional hook to tie in unrelated effects.

Unfortunately, when you search youtube you have a few jerks revealing how it was done. To add insult to injury, they even monetized their videos. sigh.

All I can say to those jerks is they failed to catch the real magic. This presentation is not about tricks and methods, it's about actual magic that touches the soul and imparts a very real reaction that strikes to the core of what it is to be human. I've seen lots of magic, some good and some bad, but I don't believe I've ever seen any that brought me to tears the way Marc did. Real magic for sure, and you can't learn that from a youtube video.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11834 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Smile
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1350 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On May 7, 2018, Adam Reynolds wrote:
For me mentalism is all about plausibility. My interpretation of the act is that Marc's baby has powers of precognition and Marc is just the facilitator of that power. So in his next performance he needs to maintain his role, otherwise his persona isn't plausibile and he loses credibility. Looking forward to seeing what direction he takes.

I think you are wrong

[IMO]

As he couldn't have used the word magic [and not mentalism] more often

I would hope he leaves the baby out of the semi - so it's fresh for the final

Especially as he used the baby for TV show apperances since BGT
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2426 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
We discuss many things here and certainly here is the exact place to discuss them.

Then we have a act doing their act on a National TV show: His goal is not to do mentalism to the letter as only people like us know (or care) what that is. The performers goal was to entertain and I think we can all agree that he achieved that.

I have also found that most of the greatest entertainers in magic and mentalism don't hang around on forums, trying to work out if they should use the word mentalisin or magic and how many times they should use them. No they are out just doing what they do and that is entertaining people. Lay people who don't even understand that there may be a difference between Magic, Mental Magic and Mentalism. Basically because they really don't care.

Many years ago I set up a karaoke and I decided to be the best around and above the rest in equipment and how it was run. Basically the audience couldn't care less about any of that and just went out for the evening to enjoy themselves. Some of the lower karaoke set ups were absolute rubbish, but they provided that entertainment that was wanted. I had to learn very fast to forget all the high-brow stuff that the audience couldn't care less about and given them what they wanted: Entertainment.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Geeraff12
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
57 Posts

Profile of Geeraff12
Couldn’t agree more Shrubsole. I loved it. Well done Mark. Intrigued as to what he does next.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marc Spelmann at BGT - FANTASTIC (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL