The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kreskin at the Lion Theatre (Off-Broadway, NYC) (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1519 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2018, Amirá wrote:
If you want the ultimate hip performer, go somewhere else for sure. I saw Kreskin twice some months ago and I was prepared to see.. KRESKIN

He offers an old style, relaxed theatrical experience about HIM. I knew that before the show so I was prepared, and I had a terrific time.
Yes, he opens with his stories and sometimes he gets angry to the audience for some reasons. Still the show was fantastic, the mindreading was very entertaining and he found his check TWICE

Sad that most of the guys in here don't appreciate all the work that he did and he is doing in the preservation of classic Mentalism demonstration. Lets spread some love and support, even if some moments are not the best in your opinion.


I don't see one reply here that said this; "Sad that most of the guys in here don't appreciate all the work that he did and he is doing in the preservation of classic Mentalism demonstration." I do however see some replies stating this; "sometimes he gets angry to the audience for some reasons." I don't care who you are or what you've done, as a professional Mentalist, you DON'T do that. To defend it is to excuse it. You also DON'T do that.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
I have noticed that he has been a bigger presence ob Facebook promoting his shows. I wondered if there was a reason for that when I rarely saw him post before.

I enjoyed his show when I was in college and haven't seen him since. I'm happy to remember how much I liked it waaay back when.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
I'm fresh off of seeing Kreskin, and I must say that he brought his A-game last night. He was charming, humorous, and very entertaining. There were a few times that he was a tad cantankerous and gruff, but it came off to me as grandfatherly and endearingly quirky rather than genuine bad-temperedness. He asked one woman to show a card to the audience, and she set it down on a table instead. "Show it!" He asked a man to read something from a piece of paper, and the man read only the last word instead of the whole thing. "Read the full statement!" A man blurted out something that he was asked to only concentrate on. "If I call out something else that relates to you, please don't respond!" Smile

The pace was just right, and the audience was gasping with wonder throughout the show. He spoke for maybe 10 minutes at the beginning of the show about various predictions that he's made that came true. They related to current events, and it wasn't the 20-minute rambling discourse about decades-old talk show appearances that I've only read about. He joked about his age and made plenty of references about things he did a long time ago, but it was interesting and engaging. I wasn't hoping that he'd jump to the psychic fireworks during any part of the show that wasn't a mental effect (he calls them tests).

The final part of his show where he finds something that the audience has hidden while he's out of the room was full of suspense and drama till the last moment, and upon the successful conclusion, I was delighted to hear him exclaim, "Isn't that wild?" It was the only time he said it during the show.

Great, great show, and I'm thrilled that I had a chance to see it.
corindaman
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2018, truman wrote:
I'm fresh off of seeing Kreskin, and I must say that he brought his A-game last night. He was charming, humorous, and very entertaining. There were a few times that he was a tad cantankerous and gruff, but it came off to me as grandfatherly and endearingly quirky rather than genuine bad-temperedness. He asked one woman to show a card to the audience, and she set it down on a table instead. "Show it!" He asked a man to read something from a piece of paper, and the man read only the last word instead of the whole thing. "Read the full statement!" A man blurted out something that he was asked to only concentrate on. "If I call out something else that relates to you, please don't respond!" Smile

The pace was just right, and the audience was gasping with wonder throughout the show. He spoke for maybe 10 minutes at the beginning of the show about various predictions that he's made that came true. They related to current events, and it wasn't the 20-minute rambling discourse about decades-old talk show appearances that I've only read about. He joked about his age and made plenty of references about things he did a long time ago, but it was interesting and engaging. I wasn't hoping that he'd jump to the psychic fireworks during any part of the show that wasn't a mental effect (he calls them tests).

The final part of his show where he finds something that the audience has hidden while he's out of the room was full of suspense and drama till the last moment, and upon the successful conclusion, I was delighted to hear him exclaim, "Isn't that wild?" It was the only time he said it during the show.

Great, great show, and I'm thrilled that I had a chance to see it.


Maybe he has been reading his reviews?
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1067 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Great to hear, Truman. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience. Kreskin came to my home town a few years ago, and I really wish I had gone to see him.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1067 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
For those who may not have the opportunity to see him in person, here is an amazing deal on the Amazing Kreskin DVD set:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FB......F8&psc=1
Anton4
View Profile
New user
Rensselaer, NY
9 Posts

Profile of Anton4
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2018, truman wrote:

The final part of his show where he finds something that the audience has hidden while he's out of the room was full of suspense and drama till the last moment, and upon the successful conclusion, I was delighted to hear him exclaim, "Isn't that wild?" It was the only time he said it during the show.


I may have to go see him again just for this. I thought he always ended his show this way but unfortunately he didn’t do it when I saw him a couple years ago.
Goldfield
View Profile
Loyal user
Universe
222 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Truman, thank you for your positive review.
Kreskin is a Legend and I can only wish to be performing in my late 80s..
The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence. Nikola Tesla, Serbian Inventor
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1067 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2018, Peter Goldfield wrote:
Kreskin is a Legend and I can only wish to be performing in my late 80s..


We should all be so fortunate! That is pretty awesome.

Not related to mentalism, but I was watching some videos of Rich Little on Johnny Carson in the early 70s. Amazing talent. Then I saw he is still performing at the Flamingo in Vegas. At age 79. Wow.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2617 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I attended Derren Brown's first Sunday matinee when he performed here in New York last year. Kreskin was seated in the back row and one of Derren's Frisbees landed right in his lap! He quickly passed it to the person sitting next to him. Can you imagine if Kreskin had gone up on stage? Would that be wild? Smile
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1053 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
MG, that would have been awesome... and awesomely weird!! I've wanted to see Kreskin live for a long time, though I have heard that his show now is exactly the same as it was 40 years ago.

I once had drinks with a couple who had recently seen Kreskin, and the husband claimed to be a skeptic who was turned into a hardcore believer in psychic abilities after his show. The turning point for him? He said that Kreskin looked over the crowd and remarked, "Aaah, there is a skeptic in this audience." The guy told me, "I have no idea how he zeroed in on me like that, but I was blown away..."
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
It's nice to hear that the man is still working and that he still has it. I think as we get older , we have less tolerance for those who haven't done what we have and tend to resent those who think themselves wise beyond their years? I have sure been guilty of that but I try to see the glory even in those ignorant and revel in the enlightenment they get as time goes on.

Idk if that's was what happens to the Amazing but if so it's normal and understandable from my perspective anyway. Keep on keeping on Mr. Kreskin you made me want to know if it was real or not and I thank you for letting me know.
Learn to read and read to learn.

To hate those who hate is righteous.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17144 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2018, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
I attended Derren Brown's first Sunday matinee when he performed here in New York last year. Kreskin was seated in the back row and one of Derren's Frisbees landed right in his lap! He quickly passed it to the person sitting next to him. Can you imagine if Kreskin had gone up on stage? Would that be wild? Smile

I'd love a pic of that..
Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1738 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
After having performed straight magic for a few years, I saw Kreskin perform on a local TV station and the mentalism bug bit me. That was in 1970 or 71 when I was around 18 years old. He performed either Invisible or Brainwave Deck on that TV show. Soon after his performance I put away Zombie, Vanishing and Appearing Candles, and just about everything else related to magic and turned to mentalism. Thanks to Kreskin's influence, in the Spring of 1971 I auditioned for the well-known amusement park, Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH, with a mentalism act and was rewarded the job, performing over 600 shows that Summer.

I never saw him perform live until about 4 years ago. The turnout was sparse, but I thoroughly enjoyed the show, He spoke for 40 minutes before he performed one effect! But that's Kreskin! My only regret was that I wasn't able to meet him after the show to thank him for influencing me.

In 1971 when I worked at the park there seemed to be a small amount of mentalists performing in the States. That was a very good thing for me and one reason why I won the job. Those days are over. I'm not convinced that's a good thing. I know, spoken like a grumpy old man!

I hope Kreskin knocks it out of the park in every future show!

P.S. I did pick up straight magic again and enjoy bringing wonder, especially to children, but I love performing mentalism for adults!
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kreskin at the Lion Theatre (Off-Broadway, NYC) (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL