The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » David Copperfield Trial Begins (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
One must slip "on" something, whereas one trips of their own negligence. I believe that is the distinction the person was going for. Don't know if I agree, just that it seems to be the point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Oh. I see. Lawyer/litigation particulars. Makes more sense, now. I can see why I was never fated to be a lawyer in this life.

Any updates on David's trial?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
922 Posts

Profile of mantel
Only this

https://youtu.be/VgRzkIjPu04

I hope the man is being honest, and not "bending" the truth like this guy.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new......ry-case/
RMV
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of RMV
The news story I saw seemed more interested in the reveal than the merits of the case. Now that the method has been revealed, I wonder if someone owns the rights to the method and will have some sort of civil recourse?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Against who and with what theory of the case?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
One must slip "on" something, whereas one trips of their own negligence.

There are many causes for tripping, of which one's own negligence is just one. While a lawyer can have victory with either, I'm inclined to believe that the distinction is being fought for the sake of the amount of any award which may or may not be awarded. I would consider that "fault of slipping" requires far more factual, tangible evidence than "fault of tripping".

I see only testimony in response to the prosecution, and none from the accuser. I'm hoping this is just a coincidence of the flow of the trial, and not a media bias.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Of course Tom. I was stating what I thought the position of the announcer was, not that I agreed with it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Part of David Copperfield's testimony can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVY7TVbmsAI

Three earlier streams of testimony can be found here:

https://livestream.com/wildabouttrial/events/8158079

The earliest one, marked "David Copperfield Trial Day 1 Part 2" is particularly interesting as it basically outlines DC's defense (it starts about the 8 minute mark).

Also found this which I have not yet viewed. It appears to be different testimony by Chris Kenner as he has a different suit on. Not sure without viewing if it is earlier or later than the testimony posted above.

https://wildabouttrial.com/live/david-co......-stream/
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
It is really hard to watch...
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
My favorite part is where Chris Kenner had to explain to the idiot lawyer how follow the leader works.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2018, Micheal Leath wrote:
My favorite part is where Chris Kenner had to explain to the idiot lawyer how follow the leader works.

He explained it for the record. If it is not on the record it dosn't exist.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2018, Micheal Leath wrote:

He explained it for the record. If it is not on the record it dosn't exist.

I get that, but it was kind of funny how it happened.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well I'm sorry if you get that then the lawyer is not an idiot. I was confused.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
Well I'm sorry if you get that then the lawyer is not an idiot. I was confused.

Yes, I think this lawyer sounds like an idiot. Did you see the exchange or are you just trying to bring some more negativity to a discussion like usual?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I saw the discussion, and live in reality where things are happening beyond video.

I happen to think that the plaintiff attorney is making a HUGE mistake by being so aggressive. I think Copperfield was coached (Smartly.) to act almost submissive and he pulls it off fantastic. I think he comes off as way more of a victim than the guy who fell. I think he plays well in court and is a great witness for the defence.

I'm sorry that others who have actual opinions are negative to you. I'm sorry just pointing out reality is negative to you. But lawyers must do things like point out the obvious. It is a poor lawyer who assumes too much knowledge on the part of a jury. I'm sorry this is negative.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
I saw the discussion, and live in reality where things are happening beyond video.

I happen to think that the plaintiff attorney is making a HUGE mistake by being so aggressive. I think Copperfield was coached (Smartly.) to act almost submissive and he pulls it off fantastic. I think he comes off as way more of a victim than the guy who fell. I think he plays well in court and is a great witness for the defense

Then we agree.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
But wait... There’s more
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/david-c......njuries/
They will allegedly be testifying for justice (not money).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:

I happen to think that the plaintiff attorney is making a HUGE mistake by being so aggressive. I think Copperfield was coached (Smartly.) to act almost submissive and he pulls it off fantastic. I think he comes off as way more of a victim than the guy who fell. I think he plays well in court and is a great witness for the defence.

I'm sorry that others who have actual opinions are negative to you. I'm sorry just pointing out reality is negative to you. But lawyers must do things like point out the obvious. It is a poor lawyer who assumes too much knowledge on the part of a jury. I'm sorry this is negative.

One other thing. Did you think I was talking about Copperfield's lawyer being the idiot? If so, I was talking about the plaintiff's lawyer. I think he is being too aggressive and comes across as an idiot to me.

At one point the plaintiff's lawyer made it seem as if everybody had to clearly see the person at the front of the line in order to get to where they were going. Kenner had to explain that all you really have to do is follow the person in front of you. If you watch the exchange it comes across kind of funny.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No. It comes across as being in a courtroom. Maybe you thought it was funny, I thought it was procedural.

I don't equate being aggressive with being an idiot. You were pretty aggressive at calling me negative and I don't think your an idiot.

It is a stylistic courtroom demeanor choice. I think it is a poor one.

I really think the way Copperfield comes across as a victim and not a slick magician type is brilliant coaching. At times he almost looks confused. (Which considering some of the questions might not be a stretch!). But he is really selling it as someone just fishing for deep pockets. A FAR better trick than the 13 audience members vanishing thing!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
"Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you God" Objection your honor please tell the witness to answer yes or no. How can you tell the whole truth when simply saying yes or no will only be part truth. I studied law for two years and I have to say I'm so glad I got out of that field early on. You think you have such protection with the law and although I will admit its the best in the world...it is flawed. I believe one flaw and its huge is the yes or no answers the attorneys ask for. They ask you for yes or no because they have questions based on your answer of yes or no to narrate a story of what THEY want the jury to believe...NOT the truth. I honestly believe the attorney should ask the question and the witness answers the question in their own words. Did you notice the attorney telling DC something to the effect that they were not going to get along very well if DC kept trying to explain what he was trying to say? The court should have admonished the attorney first off but DC attorney should have objected to the attorney trying to intimidate the witness. But we will see how it works out and I wish DC the very best.

Also anyone who has met David Copperfield knows he is a different person on stage. He does tend to be on the shy side and I know this court thing is very uncomfortable for him...not because of any wrong doing but simply he is out of his element in there.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » David Copperfield Trial Begins (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL