The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Painting a multiplying billiard balls set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yarden_Aviv
View Profile
New user
Israel
27 Posts

Profile of Yarden_Aviv
Hi everyone!
I’m planning on putting together a multiplying billiard balls act.
I really want the billiard balls to look like real snooker balls but from an online search I figured such thing doesn’t exist (at least on the market)
So I was thinking about purchasing a 2” JL Lukas ball set or the Bond Lee 2” set and paint it to look like genuin snooker balls.
Does anyone have any experience with it? Tips he can share? Is it even possible to do so? Will the coat of paint interrupt with the working of the shell?

Would love to hear your advice,

Yarden.
The new closer to your Ambitious Card routine: Transcend
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20863 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You cannot paint the JL or Lukas balls, they are silicon, paint will not stick to them. You have to use wood balls, and you dip them, not spray or brush the paint. See the books on the process. You can buy wooden balls at many sizes on the internet craft websites for $2 U.S. currency. If you want snooker balls, just buy them from a snooker table dealer. You don't have to use a shell. There are numerous published non-shell versions available.

Question: How is a real snooker ball look any different from 10 feet away, then a multiplying ball set?

The advantage of the shell, is they there are so many magical looking effects that can be done, then without.

I suggest you do some searching, and educate yourself, do you know JL, makes a magnetic half ball set. So get a real snooker ball and cut it in half. You cannot dig out the ball, as a shell is usually about 1/8 inch larger then manipulation balls.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Yarden_Aviv
View Profile
New user
Israel
27 Posts

Profile of Yarden_Aviv
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
You cannot paint the JL or Lukas balls, they are silicon, paint will not stick to them. You have to use wood balls, and you dip them, not spray or brush the paint. See the books on the process. You can buy wooden balls at many sizes on the internet craft websites for $2 U.S. currency. If you want snooker balls, just buy them from a snooker table dealer. You don't have to use a shell. There are numerous published non-shell versions available.

Question: How is a real snooker ball look any different from 10 feet away, then a multiplying ball set?

The advantage of the shell, is they there are so many magical looking effects that can be done, then without.

I suggest you do some searching, and educate yourself, do you know JL, makes a magnetic half ball set. So get a real snooker ball and cut it in half. You cannot dig out the ball, as a shell is usually about 1/8 inch larger then manipulation balls.

Thank you so much for your answer Bill!
I thought about using a regular multiplying billiard balls but I didn’t like their bright colors.
Snooker balls and darker and have a white circle with a number on them (which is not difficult to add to a regular set but then again, I need the right colors)
And about the regular snooker balls, I’m afraid they’ll be too heavy to manipulate.

But you did give me an idea! I can buy a normal set of white 2” multiplying balls and make my own wooden snooker balls and just use the white shell since it looks the same as a real white snooker ball.

What do you think?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20863 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It depends if you go to a paint store and get them to match the color and texture exactly. What do you mean by "normal white balls", normal means wooden. Silicon is relatively new material, only been around for a short when compared to the wooden balls.

Yarden_Aviv
View Profile
New user
Israel
27 Posts

Profile of Yarden_Aviv
I mean that a white ball from a multiplying billiard balls set looks exactly the same as a regular white snooker ball since they both don’t have numbers on them.
Not sure I understand what you mean by matching the colors and texture exactly, what do I need to match it for? The shell.
What I intended to do is purchase a set of multiplying billiard balls and just use the white shell to represent the white snooker ball. All the other balls I’ll make myself from wooden balls so I don’t think it’ll matter if the texture isn’t the same as the shell.

BTW, I searched the net for painting by dipping and didn’t find anything that could help..
Will you agree to point me to the source you talked about? Just so I could get an idea of what the process looks like?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20863 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Louis Ganson books.

I believe Geoffrey Buckingham wrote about dipping as well.

My library is not available currently, so I cannot get to my books.

It seems you do not know the difference between Silicon rubber material billiard balls and hard snooker balls. I cannot explain the difference to you, as properties of such materials is not my area of expertise.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Painting a multiplying billiard balls set (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL