We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Forcing a number from 0-5 (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fuzzbass
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of fuzzbass
Hope you don’t mind me picking your brains, but I’m a bit stuck on a solution to an effect I’m trying to create.

The first part of the effect uses the BFD (Digital Force Bag) App on the iPhone. This is a forcing app that asks a spectator for a random number and then forces an item on a list for that number.

The idea is to use DFB with two lists of UK Football teams to generate two “random” teams to play in a fictional match. I can easily force the two teams, either with two separate lists, or a list combining ready arranged matches. Having two separate lists will enable me to have two spectators to “compete” against each other.

What I am having trouble with is coming up with a method to generate the two “forced scores”. The finale of the effect will be to produce a printed photo showing both the two forced teams and the two forced scorelines.

I know I could use the George Sands Prime Number Force to generate a number between 1 and 5, but ideally I would like to incorporate the possibility of a to nill (0) scoreline, i.e 3-0. Unfortunately the George Sands method won’t work for 6 numbers.

What I am asking is:

Do you know of an alternative method I can use to force a number between 0 and 5, twice (once for each spectator)?

Steve Hansey

George Sands Prime Number Force

Get an Ace through Five, mix them and get the number you want to force on top.

Get them to give you any number lower than 5, transfer that many cards from top to bottom.

Turn over the top card, keep repeating the process with the same number until you only have one card left face down.

It will be the one you arranged on the top.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
One option may be to use dice:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=612908

Bascally, by connecting dots on the six you end up with a die from zero to five. Spectators understand this easily. If you use a sure shot die cup you ask the spectator to choose the starting number placing it uppermost. Then you casually shake it to 'randomize'.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Had a few more thoughts.

The dice approach is nice in that you could use two dice at once making it a competition, You say you are going to shake the cup vigorously five times and they each get to choose which number to start. This makes it a competion between the two teams.

A similar idea would be to use five coins under a cloth. One spectator's team is head, the other tails. Each takes a turn flipping coins under the cloth. Then the cloth is removed and the heads and tails are counted to see the score, for example 1 heads vs 4 tails. Of course you control this using d***** s**** coins.

Another approach would be to use a clear bag with slips of different combinations of outcomes on them which a spectator chooses. You can even have different color slips (one for each team) and have them pull out several and choose to keep one of each color.

The nice thing about making it a more 'head to head' game is that it gives a reason why the app isn't being used.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1060 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Wiggle your (5) fingers and ask the spectator to say STOP.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
https://plus.google.com/+CardMakerBerndMauckschGermany/posts
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
437 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Fuzzbass, You could use a force credited to Edward Victor ("More Magic of the Hands"-1938)

Take a look at these lists a friend of mine created for a routine he developed. His effect retells a story of a vintage dog race, years ago. Each separate card has Jumping Jack as the forced choice. His trick uses 6 cards, you would only need to use 5 and print the winning team instead of a dog.

https://i.imgur.com/0HPwjyG.jpg

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2788 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Phill Smith - Quinta
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1767 Posts

Profile of SIX
Woody Aragon does a finger force, which is in his A Book In English (also in Semi-Automatic Volume 10, I think?). I believe you can use that method to force them different numbers, Personally, in order to make that approach work I would have the two individuals stand back to back, this way you can tell them each to grab a finger as a starting point. (Each would have a different finger as a starting point, hence the back to back.) Now you can give them the same exact instructions and end up with the forced fingers.

Hope this helps.

-Six
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
If you're using the DFB app to select your teams, I think ideally you would select a final score in a way that is congruent to how you picked the teams. If you use a list on your phone to choose teams, to me at least, it would seem odd to involve other props (other than something like fingers) to determine a score. So since you're already using the phone for team selection, maybe you use some variation of the Toxic Force with your phone's calculator to get to a score?
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
PS: Not sure why this post is in the forum for Mem Deck work. You may get more advice posting it in Inner Thoughts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Forcing a number from 0-5 (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL