The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Overkill Presentation (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
Here is a presentation I came up with for Overkill. You can find the trick on Paul Harris's Stars of Magic Vol. 1. The presentation idea is inspired by Andy's presentation advice over at thejerx.com. I put the odd card as the 24th card down instead of at 21 since St. John's Day takes place on June 23.

The Estonian Bonfire Ritual

“I read this the other day and found it fascinating. Apparently, as a way of celebrating the midsummer solstice in Estonia, they build up these huge bonfires in the middle of the town square and then light them as dusk arrives. The purpose behind it is a centuries-old tradition of sun worship dating back to the 12th century, but the way they choose which citizen is given the honor of lighting the blaze that year is even more interesting.

Apparently, when Christianity swept through the country in the early 16th century, the duke, a recent convert, changed the holiday from a pagan ritual meant to celebrate and worship nature, to a Christian holiday called St. John’s Day. However, the populace hated this and in true subtle subversity, created this process to choose which “true” Estonian would light the fire that year.

At the time, the duke was insisting that all the important local government people in the various towns wear these little pins of a cross inside a church doorway to signify their allegiance to both himself and to God. So, to keep the pagan tradition of nature worship that the day initially signified these officials gathered up all their pins and put them in a little bag. Except, they took one of pins, covered it in red clay and baked it. They then dropped that red pin into the bag as a symbol of the sun. These officials would then gather together in secret and name a small number. Each person would then draw that number of pins out one at a time. If they drew the red pin on the final number then that official would have the honor of lighting the bonfire for St. John’s day while also preserving the pagan tradition.

Today, Estonians still celebrate St. John’s day, but the pins no longer exist and the tradition has lapsed. However, some families still pay homage to this process by building small bonfires in their back yards, but instead of using the pins, they use cards to determine which family member receives the honor of lighting the blaze. Supposedly, finding the red card also means a year of luck and happiness for that person, but I don't know about that, sounds like an old wives tale to me.”

Go into the trick proper, but instead of creating a question mark, create a 23 cards sun

I don't think you really need any sort of closing line beyond, "Oh snap, that's crazy", but you could say something like "Wow, well, I don't have any bonfires around here, but let's test out that stupid lucky thing" and then go into some kind of trick using luck as the premise.
qualysoft
View Profile
New user
Presidente Prudente/SP - Brasil
93 Posts

Profile of qualysoft
Nice! Thanks!
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
You got it qualysoft.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Overkill Presentation (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL