We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best coin size for learning (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Oakland, CA.
43 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Just got a copy of Bobo’s and Roth’s coin books and am excited to start learning some coin sleights and tricks.

Question: is there an advantage to learn/practice with half dollars vs quarters?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

D
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1234 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
It depends on the size of your hands. I'd suggest starting with the largest size you can comfortably CP and work down. I can CP any sized coin, but I find it much easier with a large one (English penny), especially for a stack. The BP is also easier with a larger coin.

Barry
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Oakland, CA.
43 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Thanks Barry.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
I think you'll find this helpful from none other than Kainoa Harbottle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzzecGZoU7g
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8049 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Welcome to The Café, ds... Smile

You've got yourself some good starts already in picking up Bobo's and Roth...you can't go wrong there. Smile

While quarters are OK to work with, I'd suggest to begin your practicing with half dollar size coins. Eventually, you can stretch it up a bit and play with the larger dollar size, like Morgans and Ikes. Smile

There's some things that's nice to do with smaller coins, but in general, smaller can also be a bit too small visually for spectators and for your own better manipulation. So, the bigger half dollar coins are easier to see, and give you more surface to comfortably better handle. I'm sure you'll be fine with it. Smile

Learn and practice the sleights first, and then the simpler tricks will help teach you the way. Take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions here as you can see already, there is a lot of good advice to be had. Smile

Good journey to you. Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Oakland, CA.
43 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Warren, thank you so much for the video link. Very informative

Mb217, thank you for the welcome. Super excited to get back to my 2nd love and start exploring coin magic. Will focus on sleights first! Smile
thib69530
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of thib69530
Hello dschmunis,

In my opinion the better size for learning is every size! When you learn some moves, do it with everything you have in your wallet and beyond : halves, quarter, nickel, dime, dollar, poker chips, beer cap, washer, ... everything that look round and flat, doesn’t matter the size, the weight, the texture... When you will be able to naturally CP all of this from larger things to the smaller coins you can do miracles for sure.
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Oakland, CA.
43 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Thx thib69530 good tip! Smile
EasyK
View Profile
New user
The secret is in one of my
77 Posts

Profile of EasyK
I don't agree.. I think it will be ALOT harder to learn every vanishes and every concealments etc with every size at the start. It's hard enough to learn with just one size.. After learning with one size in one hand, try the same size in your other hand and a new size in the hand your comfortable palming with. (CP specially)

And watch DVDs as well, then you can see how the different sleights are done a bit better than the drawings in Bobo's. The Metal series by Eric Jones goes well with Modern Coin Magic. First DVD covers vanishes, concealments etc.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy it, and don't get frustrated, because it is a rough start, but when you finally starts to see some results, it's totally worth it. Smile
'My brain is the key that sets me free.'
- Harry Houdini
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Quote:
On May 13, 2018, EasyK wrote:
I don't agree.. I think it will be ALOT harder to learn every vanishes and every concealments etc with every size at the start. It's hard enough to learn with just one size.. After learning with one size in one hand, try the same size in your other hand and a new size in the hand your comfortable palming with. (CP specially) .........

Maybe I am reading too much into your comment above, but it seems you may be implying there are many sizes of coin to master. In my ten short years of studying this wonderful art I've found the vast majority of magicians use 30mm or 38mm -ish coins, ie. Kennedy Halves and Morgans (or their equivalents in other countries).

Speaking just for myself, when I started out I worked for a few weeks with one size, then switched to the other. I would (and still do) have coin(s) in my hands most of my waking hours, constantly working to improve. By being 'bilingual' coin-wise, pretty much any trick is an option, e.g. try doing a Hanging Coins with silver dollars!

Sorry to ramble, need more coffee... thanks for reading.
John Oaks
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of John Oaks
Yes, nice video, right to the topic.
Have a Magical Day!
------

I really didn't know how to explain it.
So I told them the truth, and they fell for it!
EasyK
View Profile
New user
The secret is in one of my
77 Posts

Profile of EasyK
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, CarpetShark wrote:
Quote:
On May 13, 2018, EasyK wrote:
I don't agree.. I think it will be ALOT harder to learn every vanishes and every concealments etc with every size at the start. It's hard enough to learn with just one size.. After learning with one size in one hand, try the same size in your other hand and a new size in the hand your comfortable palming with. (CP specially) .........

Maybe I am reading too much into your comment above, but it seems you may be implying there are many sizes of coin to master. In my ten short years of studying this wonderful art I've found the vast majority of magicians use 30mm or 38mm -ish coins, ie. Kennedy Halves and Morgans (or their equivalents in other countries).

Speaking just for myself, when I started out I worked for a few weeks with one size, then switched to the other. I would (and still do) have coin(s) in my hands most of my waking hours, constantly working to improve. By being 'bilingual' coin-wise, pretty much any trick is an option, e.g. try doing a Hanging Coins with silver dollars!

Sorry to ramble, need more coffee... thanks for reading.

I actually had a longer comment, but I deleted some of it because I felt I was just rambling.

But I agree with what you are saying. And that's almost what I meant. I started with ONE coin size (dollar), and when I felt comfortable with that in CP, I switched hands, and had a Half Dollar in the comfortable hand, and the Dollar in the "new" hand. But I disagree with using every coin size and corks and all other round objects at the very beginning of learning.

// K
'My brain is the key that sets me free.'
- Harry Houdini
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
New user
El Paso TX
88 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
The QUESTION should be:
What size for seated table work . . or. . . for STAGE/ Standing work ?
Standing implies that you are "entertaining" and maybe a "Magician" and therefore use trick coins.
Standing also is somewhat dangerous for coin workers where a coin might fall to the concrete or tile floor, denting the edge of the coin.
Seated is safer for your coins.
That said. . . I only do SEATED which means, close up to 1 to 4 other people.
And Half Dollars SCREAM . ."Trick coins" because they are not in anyone's normal pocket change.
To be "believable" and carry their thoughts thru the entire trick, to the end effect . . . it has to look impromptu. Natural and real, so I only use quarters for those reasons.
If you are Standing . . then it looks like "Entertainment and trickery" and to be physically seen, you'd have to use Half dollars or 1 dollar coins.
If you look like an "Ordinary person" and not a magician . . and do an effect with a common Quarter, it's pure sorcery, pure magic.
100% surprise.
Rather than, "He's a MAGICIAN, so get ready for all of the trick coins . . . etc."
"He's gonna trick us."
"I don't believe a thing he is doing."
"I better watch both of his hands."
SIZE of the coin(s) would be dictated by HOW are you going to use them and present them.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2531 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I'm not really sure spectators are screaming trick coins, but if a half dollar screams, then a Morgan would more so. I use halves, I can use Morgans/dollar coins but I have smaller hands and just feel the dollar coins look large for my hand. So it's what you want to feel comfortable with and what style, seated, standing, etc.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of Conus
Different size coins lend themselves to different type of sleights.

• Half Dollars are a comfortable size for learning most sleights.
  • The size of Mexican Pesos up until mid- to later-1960's were midway between a half dollar and a silver dollar.
  • Larger coins are more visible, but 'can be' more difficult to manipulate cleanly.
  • Smaller coins in circulation have advantages because you can generally borrow them on the spot, and you can use different sleights with them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best coin size for learning (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.43 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL