The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Top Change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Metius
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
175 Posts

Profile of Metius
While practicing the top change (changing the card you got into your right hand with the top of the deck in your left hand) I noted that cards make a little "flapping" sound when I turn the deck or when i
catch the top card even my moves seeming to be smooth and ok.
Is it normal or should I perfectionate the moving in the practice making it no sounding?

Thanks!
Eppure una volta avetti sette in latino...(G.Marziano)
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
Metius,

I'm sure we can't discuss method's here , I shall pm.
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
Metius
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
175 Posts

Profile of Metius
Yes,excuse me I wrongly posted this topic here, but it was my fault 'cause I confused the IE windows...Smile
Eppure una volta avetti sette in latino...(G.Marziano)
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
This sound is mentioned on Doc Eason's Bar Magic vol 1. He mentions another magician who makes an obscene amount of noise doing the move, but is never caught because his misdirection is so good. So I guess whether or not you get it down without sound is up to how good your misdirection skills are.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
The less sound and more misdirection the better. What is the name of the TC you use?
Johnnymysto
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
116 Posts

Profile of Johnnymysto
Misdirection is the key. Ask the specs a question when doing the move. Or, before doing the move, point with the first card. Do the move, then point with the deck as you finish it. All in one move, and they'll never see it.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Two points on misdirection when doing the top change that I see some less experienced magicians do.
NEVER look at your hands when you do it. Not even a glance. You should be able to do it with your eyes closed literally!
Speak. do not do it in silence or with even a break in your patter.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Too true. Something as simple as, "So where are you guys from?" with some good eye-contact should cover the move and the sound. Frankly, you may be a little too aware of the sound because you know what's happening. I honestly doubt the specs will even notice. We magicians tend to get pranoid over little things like this when really they are nothing to sweat.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
I'm sure there are lots of descriptions in various books. Ken Brooke's Magic - The Unique Years originally published by Supreme Magic Company is a great book that details the misdirection as you move your body which is important to cover the actual hands movement. Another good source I used was a trick-a-tape video by Patrick Page entirely on the Top Change.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Eugene Burger has a great effect, that is built around that one sleight - and the misdirection is perfect. Check out Mastering the Art of Magic.
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I do the TC and I'm in no ways a pro. but I do agree with Ries:
Quote:
Too true. Something as simple as, "So where are you guys from?" with some good eye-contact should cover the move and the sound. Frankly, you may be a little too aware of the sound because you know what's happening. I honestly doubt the specs will even notice. We magicians tend to get pranoid over little things like this when really they are nothing to sweat.

jUST feel the card. A light touch and take.

edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Top Change (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL