The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Performing For Cashiers (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Just wondering if anybody here has ever stunned a store clerk or cashier by performing an effect while paying for your purchases?

If so, what effects worked best?

How did you take into account angles, as when you are standing in line ANYBODY can walk up next to you as they wait to make THEIR purchase.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Actually I never tried it, often tempted, still tempted ! to use Don Allen's "Coat Hanger from coin purse"
I think it would be surprisingly funny!
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
One I've done is to show them a small tool that I claimed to have found in the parking lot, but then when I squeeze it, it turns into a Kennedy half dollar, and then another squeeze and it turns into a Chinese coin, which they can examine. A couple of false transfers and a gaffed Chinatown coin set are all you need. Angles are great on this one.

Second one I've done are some finger ring and rope tricks out of Jay Sankeys Devils tail. Angles there are very good as well. My presentation is that I bought the rope (or ring there) and it seems to be defective (or at least weird).

Third one is Holy Moly from Jay sankey. Angles there are tougher, you cant have any one behind you. But response is excellent.

I prefer performing for clerks that are out in the store stocking etc, versus the cashiers. I wont start any of this magic if there are other customers in line behind me. I don't want to hold them up.

Often times their reaction is very good. Some will thank you for showing them the trick and will often times say that I made their day. One lady told me that in two years of working there, that was the first time anyone showed her a magic trick.

Store clerks are my favorite test audience for new pocket ticks that I'm working on.
Supersmooth_ Magic
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Supersmooth_ Magic
Extreme Burn - but some may take it the wrong way! So depends which type of store/cashier Smile

Also show a coin between finger and thumb in a french drop/spellbound position, holding a coin with a lower denomination like a 5 cent or 1p and when you palm a quarter or £2 pound coin (any coin with a higher value) - do a spellbound move/french drop as you give it out to the cashier and it magically' changes - It's a nice, easy to do visual and magical and of course you will then have enough money to pay for your pint of milk or newspaper then!

Also another good one - The muscle pass works well and has done for me Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Have you been able to master the muscle pass???
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Dear Daffydoug,
Try: Danny Korem's Tactile Healer
https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/book/475
Sincerely,
miistermagico
Supersmooth_ Magic
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Supersmooth_ Magic
Bill switches are good esp for paying the cashier!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Oh wow! Never knew Korem wrote a book. I saw him perform in person. The man's a magical genius!
RMV
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of RMV
If you are signing something, the opening phase of Greg Wilson’s pointless would be quick and fun.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Good idea. But *sigh* I had Greg's pointless, and lost the "point." Easy to lose or fall out of your pocket. It was a wonderful effect, but not cheap. If it's still on the market, I'm tempted to drop the bucks and buy another one.
RMV
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of RMV
I worry about losing the point of that trick all the time! I’m thinking about getting a reserve. I carry this with me a lot. I once carried a rocky raccoon into a store. When a clerk told me I couldn’t have a live animal....well...I killed it. That was 35 years ago and still makes me laugh. Glad they didn’t call security.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Lol!

I loved Greg's effect. I practiced it till I could do it in my sleep. Then I promptly lost the whole point of the trick.

The problem was that the point always got stuck in the cap if I carried it in my pocket. I would pull it out to perform, and horrors! There would be no point on it! So I carefully stuffed tissue paper in the cap so that it pushed against the m______t. But that of course made it somewhat loose, which is why I lost it so easily. It's like I couldn't win for losing.

Open to any suggestions!
byronblaq1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of byronblaq1
Bill switches.

Blows them away when done nonchalantly.

B.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thought about it a lot. Really have. But a plethora of choices to choose from! Which one do you recommend?
RMV
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of RMV
I haven’t had trouble with mine sticking in the cap. Because the cap is available cheap, I would think trying to find a larger cap, since it has to come off before the pen comes into play. Will play with that and see.

As for bill swithch, I learned the one I do from Ammar, classic renditions. Use a Kennedy mismade bill.
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
Quote:
On May 21, 2018, RMV wrote:
I worry about losing the point of that trick all the time! I’m thinking about getting a reserve. I carry this with me a lot. I once carried a rocky raccoon into a store. When a clerk told me I couldn’t have a live animal....well...I killed it. That was 35 years ago and still makes me laugh. Glad they didn’t call security.

Love it. I gotta get a Rocky Racoon just to do that. I want to add it to my parlor show anyway.
troy thornton
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of troy thornton
Extreme burn to pay for something blows them away. nothing better then showing 5 one dollar bills and letting the clerk clearly see that. and the items cost say 11 bucks, you say is this enough? tell them hold on a second BAM! then hand them one of your twentys.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Great idea!
ofrmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of ofrmagic
Insta-Change (U.S. 10) by Nicholas Einhorn it has give me great reactions when trying to pay the cashier with a receipt. Then do the change in front of them.
Magikgym
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Magikgym
If they serve coffee to go....mojoe 2.0 by John Kennedy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Performing For Cashiers (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL