The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wilting Magic Wand by Strixmagic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
367 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Is this a new gag wand? Never seen it before and looks VERY funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IpigDNlE4k

I guess it could be used for example directly after the breakaway wand.

A German dealer sells the wand for 59 Euro.

Has anybody any experiences with it?

The website of Strixmagix writes:

"A brilliant alternative to the classic breakaway wand!!

The beauty of this magic wand is that, even though it is gimmicked, you can safely show it and use it as a normal magic wand to perform all your magic!

Wilting Magic Wand is a great tool that can not be missed in your magic gear!

Suit to all occasions, indispensable for comic magic, family shows or kid's shows.

It will add a touch of comedy and laugh to your show!

Presentation:

Use your Wilting Wand safely during your show.

Call a spectator or child to help you. Tell him you will do an extraordinary magic and to do this will serve your magic wand.

Give him the wand.

It will remain rigid even in his hands.

Only when the spectator will raise his wand to the sky it will broke halfway refusing to do magic, between laughter and general hilarity

Take the wand, make it normal again. Shake it to the air, move it horizontally, raise it vertically, it seems to be back in place. Give the wand to the spec. Once again when he raises it, this will wilt again!

No external gimmicks, nothing to palm, nothing tu pull or push
Selfcontained

Get an elegant 47 cm long high quality wand that is specially made up.
Wood and alluminium, hand made one by one in Italy"

http://strixmagic.it/en/bacchette/6441-w......gic.html
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Hmmm....my question would be just how sturdy it would be?
My first thought is it seems like there would be a lot of wear-and-tear at the breaking point of the wand!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Jonty
View Profile
Regular user
England, UK
167 Posts

Profile of Jonty
Looks very similar to the wand made by Warren Stephens, as used by Terry Herbert in one of his kid show videos. It was out of production for many years but I believe Practical Magic in the UK are selling it again. Its called Wobble Wand and is £40
Jonty the Magician
Children's Entertainer in West Yorkshire

www.magicadabra.co.uk
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4152 Posts

Profile of RNK
Yes, looks almost exactly like the Wobble Wand. I just got my Wobble Wand yesterday and really like it. The workings look to be exactly how the Wilting Wand works.

RNK
kcbeave
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
Has anyone ever used the wobble wand and the breakaway wand together?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7569 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2018, kcbeave wrote:
Has anyone ever used the wobble wand and the breakaway wand together?

Why would you want to???? --Same basic effect! I bought a brakawa wand about 1948. After THOUSANDS OF SHOWS, it finally wore out. (string broke) I bought a new one. I'm still using it, although I retired in 2008.

Warren Stephens was a good friend, but, some of his ideas were impractical!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7569 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 16, 2018, magicmanfrank wrote:
Hmmm....my question would be just how sturdy it would be?
My first thought is it seems like there would be a lot of wear-and-tear at the breaking point of the wand!

=Frank=

I agree Frank!
kcbeave
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
I was thinking because the wobble wand can be partially limp to very droopy and the drooping can be delayed by having the assistant hold it level and then raise it to wave it. where as the breakaway instantly falls to pieces the second you hand it to them. Similar but different visuals. It was just a thought.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7569 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi kc!

Sorry! I was a bit ABRUPT in my response. I really don't think that there is enough difference in the "breaking" or "drooping", and the mechanics which cause the droop, I believe, would cause wearing.

"My" brakawa wand doesn't doesn't "instantly" break. I place it on the boy's palm (I'm holding his wrist.) The ancient rule of "comedy three" is critical to any gag, and, especially with brakawa props. (Old clown talking!) I maintain "pressure" as I PLACE the wand so that he will grasp it at the center of the wand. Then, when I let go, the wand "breaks", I'm still holding his arm, so that the EFFECT is VISIBLE. I'm looking at the audience, as I let go of the wand, so I don't see it break. The audience laughs, so I look back at the boy, and the wand. I release his arm as I pick up the wand, and "spin it" simultaneously tightening the string. I grasp his arm again, as I say, "Oh! Hold it by the END!" I hand it to him so he holds it by the end, maintaining my hold on his arm. As I turn away to face the audience, it breaks again. On the laugh, I look at him and the wand, again. Letting go of his arm, I spin the wand again, tightening the string again, and, regrasping his arm, I hand him the wand, saying, "Hold it by MY end!" I let go, and face the audience for the third time, and, the wand breaks for the third time. The three "different ways" of holding the wand, BUILDS. In my routine, I toss the wand back into the prop case, and bring out another wand. "I have a spare wand!" This last wand is a "shooting" wand, It fires a .22 cal. blank. It STOPS THE SHOW! (Don't do this, unless you know my handling! The shooting wand could be DANGEROUS. I WROTE UP MY COMPLETE WAND AND BRAKAWA FAN ROUTINE IN MY BOOK. I get LAUGHS, AND APPLAUSE, AT THE END. ON TWO OCCASIONS, IN HIGH SCHOOLS, I GOT A STANDING OVATION ON THIS BIT! Too many "magicians" just hand the kid the PROP, and depend on the PROP, to get the laughs.

I hope that this detailed handling, helps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wilting Magic Wand by Strixmagic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL