The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Story Deck Essentials (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
(I wasn't sure if this better belonged here or in the mem deck forum).

So, for fun I'm working on my own story routine a la Sam the Bellhop, and I was thinking what features made a story deck trick work well.

It seemed to me that the following ingredients should be in the mix:
Fast pace
Humour
Repetition of a catch phrase or key word
False shuffles and cuts
Audience Interaction
Some flourish revelations
Not looking so much at the cards

Is there anything I'm missing (that can be built into the routine)?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
There seem to be two fundamentally different types of story deck routines:

• "Sam the Bellhop" style routines where it is clear that the deck is configured so as to tell the preexisting story. The most amazing part about these types of stories is that the deck supports the story even with all of the shuffles and cuts throughout the routine.
  • Routines where it appears that the deck is truly randomized (with shuffles at the beginning, for example) but the story seems to be created off-the-cuff in response to the "random" cards. This type of routine doesn't necessarily benefit from additional shuffles mid-routine, and often has a greater chance for humor and by-play that you don't necessarily get with the first type of routine.

Both can play great, but I think when crafting your own routine you should answer this question first, which will help you more quickly tighten up the structure. Based on your ingredients, particularly "repetition of a catch phrase" and "flourish revelations" it appears you favor the first type of story-deck routine. Before you make any final decisions, though, you may want to look into some of the "impromptu" story-deck routines to see if that's an area that might hold some appeal for you. And even if the answer is "no", you still may be able to incorporate some elements of it into your preferred style. Good luck, wiz!
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Yes - very good point - A Night at the Improv is like your number 2, I think.

I was meaning like STB or Diamond Jack kind.

However, I'd make a distincton between two sub-categories of your 1:

1a: where it is clear that the deck is configured so as to tell the preexisting story, but the order is kept through shuffles and cuts

And

1b: where the audience thinks you are 'getting' the cards you want for story from a randomly shuffled deck (like how a lay audience might view ace cutting or a magi 'getting' themselves a royal flush from the 'middle' of the deck.

I'd rather aim for 1b than 1a, but will settle for 1a (I'm more after an entertaining (pseudo-)skill demonstration than 'magic'). I think I can obtain some degree of this if I appear to produce some cards from places other than the top of the deck (and maybe also have the spectators do some shuffling/cutting too).
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
That's a very good point. I would think a great way to achieve 1b, would be to look at full suit productions. My favorite of which is Ben Earl's full suit production which ends with the full deck in order. Don't know why the quality seems sketchy, but this is the routine, which contains a raft of nice production ideas. If these are applied to a story deck, should achieve what you're after.

B2B Magazine Test!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Cheers Smile

I think I'm after something inbetween a suit production and STB Smile

I'll look into that resource. Do you know anymore?
Ahlichs
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ahlichs
"Dear Penthouse Forum" from the Jerx Volume 1 is probably the best story deck trick out there. Moves at a good pace, is funny and unpredictable, and has a great convincer at the beginning and throughout that it is random, with a kicker ending that makes it seem like maybe(?) it was all set up from the beginning.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Ahlichs, that's a great example of starting with premise #2 (looking completely unplanned)and then ending up switching the tables and by the end everyone realizes that it was completely planned.

It's a routine I've performed a couple of times, to great reactions, particularly as someone is reading the article aloud at the end.

Wiz, I'm not well-versed on other productions like that. I used that as a template for my own production routine a while back, so I wasn't actively looking for alternatives.

B2B Magazine Test!

Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
191 Posts

Profile of Chollet
Worth checking out is Apologies to Dickens by Ron Giesecke. Wonderful story, with a color change / card to wallet mixed in to the story. All very well motivated, AND an ACTUAL STORY with a beginning, middle and fabulous ending.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Story Deck Essentials (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL