We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Magical" Revelations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

YRauch
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of YRauch
What are all the different ways to reveal a selection that are presented as "magic" and not "skill." Now obviously this can depend on presentation, but I think there are some revelations that are pretty universally presented as "magic." For example, a card rising out of the deck or the Haunted Deck is generally not something you are attributing to your "skill," rather it is "magic." Whereas when you do some fancy cuts and then show the card on top, it is pretty clear you are presenting this as skill, not magic per se.

Again, I realize that some revelations are not clear-cut either way and depend on the presentation, but I was curious to see how many revelations we could come up with that we would categorize as "magic." (For contrast maybe we can list "skill" things too.)

Yehuda
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5430 Posts

Profile of magicfish
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2852 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
In the Dream Card plot (for example Sankey's Paperclipped), the card signed by the spectator is shown to have been in full view before it was selected and signed.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5430 Posts

Profile of magicfish
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5430 Posts

Profile of magicfish
YRauch
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of YRauch
Thanks magicfish for your videos.

MeetMagicMike, that is a good example of "magic."

I am more interested in just the revelation of a card from the deck. For example, if I was going to produce the four aces, one at a time, and I wanted each revelation to look like "magic" as opposed to "skill," what are good ideas?

Yehuda
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2852 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
That's a pretty hard sell. If you could do real magic would you be doing a card trick? I always present card magic as skill.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5430 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, YRauch wrote:
Thanks magicfish for your videos.

MeetMagicMike, that is a good example of "magic."

I am more interested in just the revelation of a card from the deck. For example, if I was going to produce the four aces, one at a time, and I wanted each revelation to look like "magic" as opposed to "skill," what are good ideas?

Yehuda

The Jennings Revelation-Jennings
The Randy Revelation-Wakeman
Sleeve Aces- Nelson
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2347 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
If you want each revelation to look magical, pick up a DVD that deals with color changes. Here's one:

You could build a 4-ace production around color changes. Make them increasingly impossible, from the audience's perspective. Do the first couple in your hands and then for the last one, have the deck sitting on the table when the Ace appears.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
YRauch
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of YRauch
Thanks, Steven. Ya, one of them would definitely be a color change. But I want each ace to be different to have a variety of effects. So one could be a color change, but the others should be like rising card, maybe the first two then magically sandwich the third. I don't know, just trying to get as many ideas for magical revelations as possible.

Yehuda
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2347 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Daryl's Card Revelations is a 5 DVD set containing a bunch of different reveals. Many of them have a magical quality to them and some of the lesser-known reveals might fit the bill. Granted, that's not a specific suggestion, but I think mining those treasure troves of information can be a rewarding exercise.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18787

In any event, best of luck.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
MSaber
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MSaber
@YRauch - I think if you present it right, you can make anything seem like "magic". Keeping it simple is best in my opinion. Avoid fancy cuts and flourishes so it doesn't seem like you're manipulating the card, and think to yourself, "How would I act if I really had supernatural powers?"
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
I don't believe that "How would I act if I really had supernatural powers?" is the best approach for modern audiences.

One way it may be useful to find what you want is to think what is going transmit the sensation of magic, EVEN THOUGH "everybody" knows magic doesn't really exist. All of that without being concerned by the limitations of existing techniques. Then you can 1) filter that through what is the existing knowledge and find the techniques will be useful for you; 2) Think on how you could apply existing techniques (AND PRESENTATION) to make people feel, even for a fraction of a second, something magical; or 3) develop new techniques on how to make possible the things you want to do.

And also, context and presentation are completely necessary. A spectator cutting to the last Ace, for instance, can transmit the feeling of a trick if not in a good context. But it could transmit the feeling of something more magical, for example: on the first few tries he missed it, but then you remember it's because of his cosmical alignment, mumbling somethings to yourself as if thinking what is wrong. You make him change seats, then go outside and take a look at the night sky. Come back and change his position a bit, make him put his hand on top of his head. Take a look at your watch as if counting the seconds. Maybe you even take out an old compass to measure things more precisely. Look at the watch again, glance at the compass, and the moment you see the needle spinning like crazy you scream "NOW!". Then he finally cuts to the last Ace.

It's just a really basic example. There is some mystery, some crazy process, some specific positions to make things just right for it to work. All that experience may transmit this feeling that something magical just occurred. But usually when we say "magical" we are thinking "visually striking without any apparent 'skillful' moves". But is that all it can be?
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
606 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I dunno. I present everything as an illusion, with an agreement with the audience that they are seeing things that appear to be impossible, but we all know that the impossible isn't really happening. So which is that, magic or skill? I dunno. Kinda neither, kinda both.

I agree with heavyspirit about hiding skill, though. I'm not showing off when I perform. I'm showing them something that appears to violate the laws of physics, and that requires hiding skill.

The only time I present my "skill" is when I'm intentionally screwing up. Like when I claim to be a manipulation expert and produce an ace, but it's actually an indifferent card and I pretend I don't realize it. I go through many flourishes and fancy cuts and shuffles in that one, only to not find the correct card in the end. So I use skill as a joke. Otherwise, it should be utterly invisible.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
I think the problem is not the skill, but the direct connection people will make between skill and a posible cause (what spectators may think is the way you did things) of what they just saw. The same happens with suspicious props.

But hidding the skill (or props) are not the only posible solution. In fact, everybody knows for a fact that every theatrical presentation requires rehersal and practice (Even improv comedy has some practice" sessions).

A good way to avoid that connection is to make people arrive at that conclusion by themselves. An effect so puzzling that they just don't see how it could be done with skill.

Nobody would believe you if you claimed that your fancy card cutting "holding the card your chin" flourish is actually a mind reading technique. That is a show of skill. But people won't easily accept that as true. In fact, they'll just asume you are lying. But if they can't come up with some other reasonable explanation they are left with this imposible concept. And even this being a lame example, I think it could be something as imposible (or more) than what we traditionaly do: the card rises to the top when I snap my fingers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Magical" Revelations (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL