The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Alternative to dove? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lippy
View Profile
New user
Madrid, Spain
57 Posts

Profile of lippy
In my library show, I'm introducing the kids (aged 8-12) to the Spanish book "El cuaderno de hojas blancas" (The notebook of white pages) about a little boy who dreams up adventures by drawing in his empty notebook.

To show the kids that your imagination can become reality, I would love to make a dove appear by drawing it in the 'Dove appearing book'... But my wife isn't quite ready to let me keep a dove in our house Smile

So, using the 'Dove appearing book', do you have any ideas what I could draw and then have appear from the book that could get a "wow!" from the kids (that isn't a live animal)?

Thanks so much for the input
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
A spring skunk or skunk puppet would be funny, especially if the drawing was supposed to be of a cat that looks like a skunk (Pepé Le Pew). If you can manipulate the puppet well enough to make them really believe it is alive, your next step would be to put it into a cage from which you can make it vanish and then claim it escaped and is running around the room somewhere.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
A rubber dove? I've seen some that look good when handled right.

Tom
lippy
View Profile
New user
Madrid, Spain
57 Posts

Profile of lippy
Thanks guys for the ideas. The skunk idea sounds like something I can learn, especially if it 'springs' out of the book as if it's alive.

Never seen a rubber dove 'brought to life' by a talented operator, any videos out there you know of?

Thanks
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
You couldn’t prove the rubber dove to be a real one.Smile

It would need suggesting a dove was coming and then shown while moving and quickly put away.

Most use it with other live doves, therefore it was expected and is never questioned.

Drawing a picture and talking about a dove could be the set up.

But it may not be a good idea after all with what you wanting to do.

Tom
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Spring Flowers, Spring Bills, or an Appearing Pole might work. So could the flower boxes produced in the Dream Bag magic trick.

Also, do a web search for a OOP trick made by Barry Mitchell called "King Midas". Even if you can't find a used one, the routine might give you inspiration for other items to produce from a book.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On May 19, 2018, lippy wrote:
In my library show, I'm introducing the kids (aged 8-12) to the Spanish book "El cuaderno de hojas blancas" (The notebook of white pages) about a little boy who dreams up adventures by drawing in his empty notebook.

To show the kids that your imagination can become reality, I would love to make a dove appear by drawing it in the 'Dove appearing book'... But my wife isn't quite ready to let me keep a dove in our house Smile

So, using the 'Dove appearing book', do you have any ideas what I could draw and then have appear from the book that could get a "wow!" from the kids (that isn't a live animal)?

Thanks so much for the input

Ippy, I just love it when I’m asked to help and the person asking has no information in their profile to assist me...

I have a Silky Dove, Silky Doves do not fly and requires no special training, just realese the dove from your book and the dove will land in your hand

Depending on the weather where you live, you can have a dove in a cage outside in a yard, or if the weather is very cold or very hot, the dove can stay in a cage in your garage.

I use odor absorbing kitty litter; If you keep the cage clean doves do not smell and the care is minimal. I feed my doves and change the water daily, total time under one minute and clean the cage weekly, total time under ten minutes.

If that does not work for your wife, believe me, Your show will greatly improve if you get rid of your wife and buy the dove for your dove appearing book routine.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Many kinds of hand and /or finger puppet - could do the trick??
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Keep your Wife - I've had mine for 61 years(this June) - they are/can be a great help.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
How about a book on Birds.

Harris
Reader & Righter
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
My Wiz Kids have used realistic puppet rabbits for years, as a way of deciding whether they want to buy and care for a real live rabbit when they are no longer Wiz Kids. Most have decided to continue using a puppet, even the few that decided to get a live rabbit. There are just times and occasions when the real rabbit should stay at home and the puppet is always ready to take over. Most of the kids in the audience think the rabbit is real, even if you let them pet it. It's all a matter of handling the rabbit as if it is alive, and not make it jump around and act like a puppet instead of a rabbit. If you get one, try to study how real live rabbits move and act in a magic show situation, and stick to the script. We have always used Folkmanis "Angora Rabbit Puppets", but they are currently not available. Today, I would just buy some realistic stuffed animal rabbits and convert them into hand puppets (easily done with a razor knife or sharp scissors and a fluffendectomy).

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A 20 to 50 foot multi-colored streamer will look fine. Fake animals plus other items can be added with the streamer too.
A silk effect can be included inside also. First make the silks appear. Next present an effect with the silks.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Lippy, since you have a book, why not read/tell a story. Have multiple items like a spring snake and other animals that were mentioned earlier. Let the story relate to the kind of day you had a week ago. For example you were headed to the library to take your book back. Suddenly you saw a bird that needed help (pull out a sponge dove). You took it to a veterinarian. You were on your way back to the library and noticed a rabbit that needed help. You took it to the vet. You were headed back to the library and noticed a skunk, etc. There are 3 foot silks with animals dyed on them. You can include at least one of those also.

Each time you mention you take a critter to the vet, you can place the item in a vanishing box. At the end of your story you mention: "When I left the library to come back to the vet to see how the animals were, I noticed the vet took care of each one and set it free." Show the box empty.
lippy
View Profile
New user
Madrid, Spain
57 Posts

Profile of lippy
Some great ideas guys, thanks so much... Although not so sure how keen my wife is on all the ideas Howie Smile

Appreciate the ideas, thanks again
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On May 22, 2018, lippy wrote:
Some great ideas guys, thanks so much... Although not so sure how keen my wife is on all the ideas Howie Smile

Appreciate the ideas, thanks again

LOL
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
See my May 21 post - above - actually 62 great years - so far.(June 18th)
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On May 21, 2018, Russo wrote:
Keep your Wife - I've had mine for 61 years(this June) - they are/can be a great help.

Russo, you have an early version of a wife... they were wonderful models.... built sturdy and strong, listened to you and was understanding... knew how to cook and cared for you...
longdeademperor
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of longdeademperor
Hi lippy. How about the ‘Comedy Homing Dove’ from Tommy James?

http://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store/ind......rch=Dove

You can try to produce the dove from the book and, when it doesn’t work, use a magic wand. Then the dove appears.
lippy
View Profile
New user
Madrid, Spain
57 Posts

Profile of lippy
For comedy that's perfect! For this reading show effect where I want to show the kids that your imagination can become real, I'd like to keep this particular routine a little more serious. I'll have a think. Thanks for the idea
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Alternative to dove? (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL