The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chair Suspension...again (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21106 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2018, Eddiemrdj wrote:
Also Bill, speaking of "absurd and Confusing", you should proof read your replies...."that have to answered from"......ugh yea.

I do proof read all my posts, and there is no errors when they are submitted.

Just think of it as playing "Wheel of Fortune", and fill in the missing or misplaced letters. Smile
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
588 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2018, Eddiemrdj wrote:
Hey Bill, you said the chair suspension doesn't use a cloth.....looks like Penn and Teller didn't get your memo.

Yes, Abbott's Chair Suspension does not use a cloth.

I assume I am talking to magicians that know a little bit about what has been on the market, and is currently being offered. Mak Magic Chair Suspension was the 1st to use metal folding chairs. Everyone else started copying them. That style is actually considered new, only been around the last 30 years.

I consider it the most dangerous version to use with a spectator or stooge, as they can collapse or fall over.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3555 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have performed the chair suspension over 300 times. I started with a Jim Sommers illusion (the same "plastic" chairs you are referring to) and am now using a European Suspension. The difference between the two is like night and day. You can upgrade the chairs all you want, but you still have the light weight gimmick attached to the board. This may sag or even break off with additional weight. Experiment with heavy weights (not people) to see what your new set-up will hold. (Jay recommends an engine block, but they're hard to work with). My cloth has a small piece hanging on the inside at at the head end - when doing the trick, this piece falls over the gimmick. It just looks like part of the cloth and doesn't raise suspicion. Incorporate this if you can - the Jim Sommers didn't have this, and I felt the same as you about the visible piece. Not a problem if you're on stage, but close-up is a different matter. Lastly, you MUST assemble the unit in front of the audience. People assume a cantilevered unit if you don't. As far as raising up the board at an angle when attaching it - don't worry about it. Nobody knows what you are doing. Don't overthink what you're doing (or as some say, don't run if you're not being chased). Just put it together and do the illusion. Most spectators really enjoy this illusion, although personally I think it's the lamest illusion ever invented.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21106 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Penn and Teller on the FOOL US tonight on the CW, just enhanced their Chair Suspension on more time. Similar to my reference previously posted in this topic, but a little different. Looked good.

It will be repeated on Friday for those who missed tonight's show.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
588 Posts

Profile of thomasR
What's really amazing is how magicians copy and steal jokes, puns, etc. but they don't copy / steal when it matters. Penn & Teller show everyone EXACTLY how the chair suspension should be done.
Having the assistants neck properly positioned and having the assistant lift their legs / feet in the air along with holding their hands up the way Harbin instructed are all so important for the visual of this illusion. The chair suspension is not a chair version of the Blaney ladder levitation, it's very much it's own special illusion that can be totally boring and obvious, or borderline supernatural.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9484 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Well Thomas.
There is a place for the Harbin presentation (the volunteer has the power) as opposed to a family show where it’s netter just to say “I can not make them float (while the B.B. is floating).

The benifits to reverse psychology where kids are present is that they are misdirected from trying to crawl under the illusion and trying to convince you they are floating. Therefore they don’t attempt to climb under the illusion.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
588 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Jay, I'm really confused by your post. I wasn't referring to kids show entertainers, I was thinking of illusionists who perform the chair suspension as a levitation. They leave the lady "suspended" for way too long and they just let her lay there.

Im not sure I understand what you mean by keeping them from crawling under?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chair Suspension...again (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL