The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Classic Card Transposition - Reactions (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Hi!

One of my favorite effects is the classic card transpo (with the dup card), I believe it's one of the cleanest effects. Also it's quick and fast, and can even be done in the specs hands. And yet, the more I perform it the more I realize I can't get the reactions/response I believe it deserves Smile

I was wondering what may be the reason. Maybe it's not as strong as I feel? I was also wondering about my own technique, that could be a reason. Or maybe the presentation?

I'll appreciate your thoughts (which of course are going to be speculations since you didn't see me perform, but I believe there is still value)

Thanks!
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I think if an effect is too direct people may anticipate what is going to happen. Often this creates confusion in their minds and they don't remember where each card supposedly is.

This is especially true with a copper silver coin transposition.

I get a stronger reaction out of Daley's Last Card Trick.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
I've had this problem too. I think part of the solution is to have one of the cards highly distinctive, a signed selected card, or a joker, and then the presentation to focus on that card - it makes the plot clearer, rather than the audience having to hold 2 bits of information at once.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I posted this to the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on July 1, 2017:

Perverse Card Transpo

Background And Comment

I, like so many magicians don’t do magic professionally and therefore, when I perform I can stop when I want. I say this because I find it’s better to do less than too much. So many amateur magicians just don’t know when to stop and can wind up boring their audience – who may be their friends. And with Perverse Magic it’s easy to stop after one effect – if the effect is good.

This effect started with my reading Francis Carlyle’s Card Transposition in Dai Vernon’s “Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic” and then I had comments from Peter Marshall, Bob Hyans and Sol Stone from 1989 and 1990. I also have used input from Harry Lorayne’s Strange Voyage in his “The Magic Book

Effect

1 “Here he is. Hey Jerry, here’s a deck. Show my friends a trick.” I take the deck, look at it, and then I take a paper from my pocket and look at it.

“Okay, I just learned a new trick. I should practice it first but – well you guys are my friends so what the heck. Here take a card. Good. Show it to everyone.”

2 “Okay, put the card back and let me give the deck a few cuts and I’m going to cut right to your card..”

3 I cut the cards and turn up the KH. “There.” And I deal the card face down to the table and put the deck down next to it. The trick is over. I put my hands in my pockets and relax.

4 “Uhhh – no Jerry. That wasn’t my card.” I scratch my head, take out the paper, look at it and looking confused I ask what card did you take.

“The 2C”, says the friend.

5 Still looking confused, I turn over the face down card and it’s the 2C.

6 I put the paper back in my pocket and feel something and – and I pull out the KH.

“I really don’t understand this. I have to practice.”

I smile.

Method
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
I think the idea of this trick is a classic, but can be confusing - or less startling than it should be, given the premise.

There's a version in the red Apocalypse based on a tv commercial John Scarne once did for a brand of beer (I've never seen the commercial myself - I only know the version I read and have been working on). To my mind, it's a very good "sucker" type idea, and makes the position of one of the cards that much easier to remember for the spectator. A nice logical variation of this type of transposition.

Say you show a red 7 and a black 3. Forget the red 7 - it's put back on the deck. I'll put the black 3 on top of a beer glass and bet I can take a sip of beer without moving the black 3. Perhaps some by-play and then simply remove the card from the glass and take a drink of beer. The card is of course not the 3, but the red 7. More of a "challenge" type idea in fun, but seems to help clarify the positions of the cards.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 28, 2018, Gerald Deutsch wrote:
I posted this to the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on July 1, 2017:

Perverse Card Transpo

Background And Comment

I, like so many magicians don’t do magic professionally and therefore, when I perform I can stop when I want. I say this because I find it’s better to do less than too much. So many amateur magicians just don’t know when to stop and can wind up boring their audience – who may be their friends. And with Perverse Magic it’s easy to stop after one effect – if the effect is good.

This effect started with my reading Francis Carlyle’s Card Transposition in Dai Vernon’s “Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic” and then I had comments from Peter Marshall, Bob Hyans and Sol Stone from 1989 and 1990. I also have used input from Harry Lorayne’s Strange Voyage in his “The Magic Book

Effect

1 “Here he is. Hey Jerry, here’s a deck. Show my friends a trick.” I take the deck, look at it, and then I take a paper from my pocket and look at it.

“Okay, I just learned a new trick. I should practice it first but – well you guys are my friends so what the heck. Here take a card. Good. Show it to everyone.”

2 “Okay, put the card back and let me give the deck a few cuts and I’m going to cut right to your card..”

3 I cut the cards and turn up the KH. “There.” And I deal the card face down to the table and put the deck down next to it. The trick is over. I put my hands in my pockets and relax.

4 “Uhhh – no Jerry. That wasn’t my card.” I scratch my head, take out the paper, look at it and looking confused I ask what card did you take.

“The 2C”, says the friend.

5 Still looking confused, I turn over the face down card and it’s the 2C.

6 I put the paper back in my pocket and feel something and – and I pull out the KH.

“I really don’t understand this. I have to practice.”

I smile.

Method

Wonderful magic. Thankyou.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On May 27, 2018, Maxyedid wrote:
Hi!

One of my favorite effects is the classic card transpo (with the dup card), I believe it's one of the cleanest effects. Also it's quick and fast, and can even be done in the specs hands. And yet, the more I perform it the more I realize I can't get the reactions/response I believe it deserves Smile

I was wondering what may be the reason. Maybe it's not as strong as I feel? I was also wondering about my own technique, that could be a reason. Or maybe the presentation?

I'll appreciate your thoughts (which of course are going to be speculations since you didn't see me perform, but I believe there is still value)

Thanks!

Hiya Max... Smile

Lots of good suggestions here. Smile I too like doing card transpositions, and you might be having some challenges as you seem to play this as a sorta one-off trick. I like to use a dup card too, as it makes the magic look impossible. Here's how I use this in a little card transpo routine...

What I do is put it within a little set of quick transpositions, 3 or 4 of them (including the dup card one).. I usually do the the dup card one first, and follow it up with a couple/few of takes where you don't need a dup to deliver the transpositions.

So, I basically have the deck set to do the dup transportation, usually with a glass or can of beer. After that I do a version where the card sticking out of the deck jumps to the table and the card on the table magically becomes the one sticking out of the deck. I love that one, it' just so immediate! Smile

I then do one where the cards are first pushed through the short side of the deck and then through the long side and the cards are seen to again magically change places.

I will then maybe do one other, where the card transposes from the top of the deck to the top of the card box, and the card on the box jumps to the top of the deck...that's a goody! Smile

*Now all that is a good way to present it and keep people interested in the magic of it all. But a slightly better way to do it is all in reverse, where the dup card transpo is the finale. Since it's the most impossible looking, it really works well at the end, behind the other 2 or 3 transpositions. You just have to quickly look through the deck to locate the two cards and set them upon the top of the deck accordingly. It can be done easy enough behind some pattering and a few false shuffles...it mostly flies over people's heads as you do it. Smile And I always play the last one as the one I just can't seem to understand, and I do it quite methodically...that change of the card from the top of the glass to the bottom with no fuss or muss and vice versa is killer and really brings out the brilliance of that classic dup card version. Smile

Anyway, I hope I've made some sense here, but ultimately I'm saying that elongating it into a little routine makes it more building & interesting, than just a shocking one-off kinda occurrence, IMHO. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I really appreciate the perverse card transpo! Thanx Mr Deutsch! Also thanx to Mb217 for the routine ideas! I can understand the OP's frustration with what is seemingly a very strong effect. I currently use a pre-signed dupe! After their signing, I have them hold out their palm, then have them cover up with the other hand. ie It's "impossible" to switch cards! This is where timing is important,... not too fast... let them think.

I also used to do the 2 card transpo with a Svengali deck (no signatures with this), where their card keeps showing up; and then switches with my 'selection' at the end. (note the Sv deck does have some flaring; however, I've never been called on it, even though it looks so obvious.). Keep messin' with it, Maxyedid! I also think the 2 card transpo is very strong in spite of... (perhaps because of) its simplicity. I liked all the responses/ideas in this forum, including which cards to use, patter, etc. Very enjoyable to read. Lynn
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On May 27, 2018, MeetMagicMike wrote:
I think if an effect is too direct people may anticipate what is going to happen. Often this creates confusion in their minds and they don't remember where each card supposedly is.

Chris Mayhew is inclined to agree, and worked out a fun trick called Mr. Hands.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Jay Sankey has one that uses a duplicate, but the cars are signed. The spec signs one and you sign one and they change places.
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
From the point of view of who is watching, transpositions effects are essentially the same. Beyond that, method or techinique wise, everything else are details (yes, and they are/can be very important).

Just my opinion, but maybe the effect would have more impact if it wasn't just about that "magical moment" where the transposition happens.

I belive that is one pf the things that makes the perverse presentation described above stronger than a regular transpo. There are more things going on. There is something more substantial than two cards changing places in a fraction of a second. The magician is dealing with things out of his control, he is still learning, he doesn't understand the principles at play. And that, at least in this case, is more interesting.

If people are interested (and involved) they will care more about what happens and will react more. I strongly believe that's why we feel the two card transpo should get more enthusiastic reactions: because we care about it, we have a great interest in magic. That's not true for every spectator.

How can we make them more interested? I think that question is a good place to start, and the answer will probably have nothing to do with the method.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Paul Gordon and lee Smith both have excellent variations of this plot that are definitely worth checking out, personally I think it's one of the strongest things you can do once you find the presentation that works for you.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Check out See/Hear/Feel and S/H/F Killer in JAW DROPPERS TWO. S/H/F KILLER is the strongest two-card transposition effect I personally know (why I named it "killer"). Ya' gotta' start reading the good stuff, guys!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
I *knew* Mr. Harry Lorayne told me about an effect of his as a reply to a question, however, I totally forgot about this thread... It took me a while to find it. I just re-read what I myself wrote about a year ago Smile

I'm happy to report that since then, I "tweaked" with the effect until, I believe, I found the tips that make it get the reactions I was looking for. The last time I performed this effect it was in a store, and the sales guy was looking me with "that look", and told me: "I have seen magic tricks before but never something like this", and he stared at me, and then he extended his hand to shake mine and said "thank you". After I left I realized I "hit" upon was I looking for Smile

I believe there are 3 "tweaks" that make all the difference in the world. Thanks for sharing this thread!
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Gerald, great post. I think in that you address the real issue with most transpositions of similar objects.
If you have the spectator focus on one of the objects, and it changes, it will be successful. Trying to get them
to remember two locations and two objects can confuse people, depending on how many drinks they had .... or even with no drinking . hehe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Classic Card Transposition - Reactions (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL