We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » If you can help... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
I was wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas that can help me and feel free to pm if you don't want to discuss anything on the open forum.

I have been working on mnemonica and I've got it cold if someone names a number, I know which card is at that number immediately, without any thinking.

HOWEVER, if someone names a card, it takes me forever to remember the location where to find it and this is where I am looking for help.

If you've got any ideas that have worked for you, and if you don't mind sharing, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4564 Posts

Profile of landmark
Mike, people learn many different ways. What method did you use to learn number to card?
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."

You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
I've learned using a loci system, however I have begun using a peg to have # & card connected more easily...at least more easily for me. It seems to be working, of course, I just started this in the last couple hours...which I'm very happy about : )
Yowie_
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Yowie_
I learned my stack using rote memorization.

First, I numbered the backs of a deck with stack number using a permanent marker. Then I would take the first 4 cards of my stack and use the cards as flashcards to get them memorized in both "directions". So I knew the stack number of each value/suit, and the value/suit of each stack number.

Once I had the 4 cards down, I added 4 more cards and continued in this way until I had the whole deck memorized. It took me about a week to be able to recall all cards / stack numbers, but for most, at this point, it took me a few seconds to recall.

I continued using the flashcard method and currently can recall any card / stack number in under 1 second (with occasional total blanks still!). I really need to work on knowing the sequence in order - I just know individual cards, but have many delays when running through the whole stack.

I have been using Alistair Crompton's excellent Stack Master app on my android mobile devices to practice more, really great app.

Highly suggest you invest the $10 or whatever the cost is of the app. So useful. You will quickly learn the associations you lack. For most using the loci/peg system, eventually they just know their stack cold via rote memorization, and the loci/peg system is rarely used except during brain farts. I may learn it as a backup, but I am relatively far along in my rote memorization efforts already.

Hope this info helps - check out Stack Master Smile
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
I'm in the exact opposite, I can recall instantly the position of the card when the card is named, but not the other way around.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7875 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I've taught it quite a few books - going back to 1956!. Ya' gotta' start reading the good stuff, guys!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Harry, yesterday I combined your peg system with the loci system I was using and it took me about 6 minutes to have the entire thing forward and backwards. I feel like I grasped it that quickly because I was already very familiar with the stack going by number, but when I attached your peg to it, the other direction (card to number) came almost instantly and it takes about 1 second to recall the card either by number or card.
Jefferson
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Jefferson
I can't be the only one to have tried this, but this is the best way I have found to practice a memorized stack.

1. With a permanent marker, write the names of the stack number on the back of each card.
2. Shuffle cards
3. Then, shuffle half the cards face up into the face down cards.
4. Go through the deck naming either the stack number corresponding to the face up card, or the card according to the stack number. SEPARATE YOUR MISTAKES FROM THE CARDS YOU GET CORRECT!.
5. After you go through the deck, pick up your mistake pile and do it again, separating all of your mistakes.
6. Do this until you get through all of your mistakes.
7. Reshuffle and do it 4 times a day.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7875 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Good Lord!!!

Yowie_
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Yowie_
Harry, I have some vague understanding that most of your memory books include a section about memorising a deck of cards (i.e. a stack), based on several of your posts. Which specific book is best suited for this purpose and why?
chrom
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chrom
Having recently got back into magic I picked up The Memory Arts by David and Sarah Tallman. There is a post a couple down on this forum describing it. I have learned both number and card placement in a matter of hours so much so that I can remember it with days in between practicing. I am working on speed now but the book is amazing.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7875 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Yowie: How To Develop A Super-Power Memory, Instant Mind Power (no longer available), Memory Isometrics Course(no longer available), The Memory Book, Memory Makes Money (out of print), The Page-A-Minute Memory Book, The Memory Power Course, Ageless Memory - to name a few that include card memorization.

Remembering People (The Key To Success), Good Memory-Good Student!, Super-Memory-Super Student!, Secrets Of Mind Power, etc., do not include card memorization.

Yowie_
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Yowie_
Thanks, Harry. I *think* I have a copy of The Memory Book (as you can tell, I could use it!), and am sorry to say I never cracked it open. I am now inspired to do so Smile
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7875 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
The Memory Book has sold about 16 million copies, in 9 languages (that I know of) and continues to sell, Yowie. Now I'm wondering how many of those millions "think" they have a copy - and never "cracked it open." !! (Same goes for some of the other books of mine I mentioned. They continue to sell; mainly because "the world" knows that my books keep their "promises" - I'm fortunate.)

Magic1
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
346 Posts

Profile of Magic1
And for those who wish to speed “drill” Mnemonica or any stack, look up the fantastic app/game that will quiz you.
Either “Learn Mnemonica” by Cube MG LLC or “The Ultimate Memorized Deck Trainer Bundle”. It’s addictive and fun
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
So here is what I did, in case anyone else is interested. This worked so good, I now have this stack down to the point that forward or backwards...it's automatic. here it goes.

I have every card memorized by using a Loci system.

I have every number memorized (the number each card is located at) by using Harry's peg system.

This means I have 52 images in my location palace & 52 peg words: 104 in total

By doing it this way, along with just a few hours of practice, I've got the stack down cold. Lightening fast...no thinking is even required anymore...and for practice I did use the speed training app mentioned above.
WayneBurrows
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of WayneBurrows
Try doing ACAAN to yourself multiple times.

Go through the whole deck from SA to CK (or whatever) in any systematic order and place the cards at some particular position - I used 20. Then repeat for another position like 30. Every time you have to recall the particular cards position SA is at 7 in Tamariz stack and 7-20 = -13 which requires the card at 41 which is H7 to be cut to the bottom.

If you start with a rough knowledge of the of the positions you will very quickly get to know very well the position of each card and the card at each position and you will learn a very good trick, ACAAN.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » If you can help... (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL