The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Taking Credit for Things as a Mentalist. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I'm not sure where I first read it? Maybe Marvin Kay's book but the old timers advised the mentalist take advantage of oddities that happen around them. My recollection points to when an elevator stops unexpectedly the mentalist would claim he stopped it with his mind.

Does anybody use this technique and if so how? If this is better answered downstairs, by all means please move the topic.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Magic(k) is the manipulation of coincidence; mentalism doubly so.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I'm not quite sure, but I am entirely responsible for this thread.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I don't know a mentalist that doesn't take advantage of these things that happen in nearly every show.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
I don't know a mentalist that doesn't take advantage of these things that happen in nearly every show.

I knew you'd say that! Open the envelope I gave you before the show began!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Wow, you are amazing!
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
Yes, Yes and Yes.

I have written about it in my new book, here's a snippet to give you an idea of my thoughts on the subject, although in the book I give you specific examples.

It is what I call 'Perpetuating the Myth'.

Extracted from Minimalistic, Metaphysical, Mentalism.

Quote:
Perpetuating the Myth

A quick diversion before we move into the next set of routines.

Perpetuating the myth or creating a mythical history is something that I learned about many years ago from reading the books of Tony 'Doc' Shiels.

In 'The Cantrip Codex' published in 1989, Sheils writes:

Quote:
"Celebrated psychics such as Uri Geller and Matthew Manning are masters of the reputation enhancing opportunism and the exploitation of 'happy accidents', coincidence and objective chance".

I love the concept of 'objective chance', a key element of surrealist ideology which basically deals with unexpected and unpredictable moments when strange elements encountered in everyday life combine to produce a kind of mystical insight.

But for our purposes taking advantage of unexpected and unpredictable moments when NORMAL, rather than STRANGE elements, encountered in everyday life combine and adding those elements to a mentalism routine, makes it possible to take a basic effect and launch it into the miracle class.

It is this sort of opportunism that can help to create an almost mythical reputation.

And all we need to do in order to take advantage of opportunism, is to put ourselves in the right place at the right time and refine our observational skills.

Regards

Scott
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
What's your new book called Scott?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Always,and the more you perform the more these situations will present themselves. Remember some people will always try and find meanings to everything if it gives their own perceptions validation.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Thank you Scott. That is what I have understood also.

WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Scott's book is called:

Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, Scott wrote:
Minimalistic, Metaphysical, Mentalism.

And I also learned to take credit for pretty much everything.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
In Tony Shiels’ book, he went on to describe an incident at a pub in which he took credit for a light falling from the wall, I think. As I recall, he offered to pay for the damages. They didn’t take his money, but that level of apparent sincerity must have been very convincing.

Patrick
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Love it
I love post its Smile
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Having established that it's a good idea to take credit for those things that happen around us, would in not be advantageous to milk these incidents for publicity? While occasionally I hear about a psychic causing something to happen on the news or in the papers, I would think we are under using these incidents to really make names for ourselves in the biz and beyond?

Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, Mr. Woolery wrote:
In Tony Shiels’ book, he went on to describe an incident at a pub in which he took credit for a light falling from the wall, I think. As I recall, he offered to pay for the damages. They didn’t take his money, but that level of apparent sincerity must have been very convincing.

Patrick

That's the one, almost, it was a glass shelf with bottles and glasses on it. He also tells the story of an American couple who were on their honeymoon at Loch Ness but the weather had been terrible. So taking a chance he took them to the waters edge, raised his staff, did a few incantations and as luck would have it at that moment the clouds parted and a shaft of sunlight beamed down onto the Loch.

The rest of the day was beautiful and the couple believed he was some sort of miracle working shaman. Which of course he was. Smile

Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, Jerskin wrote:
What's your new book called Scott?

Minimalistic, Metaphysical, Mentalism here's the link if you want more info.

https://www.mentalmagicism.com/books-on-lulu.html

Regards

Scott

Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Having established that it's a good idea to take credit for those things that happen around us, would in not be advantageous to milk these incidents for publicity? While occasionally I hear about a psychic causing something to happen on the news or in the papers, I would think we are under using these incidents to really make names for ourselves in the biz and beyond?

Couldn't agree more, but rather than waiting, you sometimes have to give the strange and mysterious a little nudge in the right direction. And that is just what Geller did in the 70's, he took credit for every little mishap or strange occurrence that happened within a 10 mile radius of wherever he was.

He was also the master of overloading radio and television station switchboards by simply asking people who noticed anything strange while he was on, to call in, which he then took credit for.

Of course Hoy would toss the headlines after every show and then re-visit the press with any hits.

On a smaller scale I try wherever possible to combine the perpetuating the myth idea already mentioned with a system I call observational pre-show here's another snippet from the book which I hope illustrates what I mean.

Quote:
I am not a big fan of formal pre-show work, by which I mean clip-boarding people pre-show to gather information, or forcing items which later, using dual reality, appear to be merely thought of, Instead I prefer to gather titbits of information by observing my audience before the show begins.

I call this 'Observational Pre-show' and it can be as complex as working a room during mix and mingle pre-show drinks, or as simple as remembering an overheard name, or part of a conversation as you walk from one table to the next during a table-hopping performance.

It may not seem much but to give you an example, years ago my local radio station called me at home for an impromptu on air interview because the previous night I had told one of their sound engineers that although he had suffered a loss (I could feel the sadness) and although he could never be replaced the new dog would bring happiness to all his family.

How? Basically I was working table hopping mind reading and tarot reading at TGI Friday's on a Saturday night (did that for two years) and while working one table I'd heard the guy who was in with his wife and another couple, on another table, tell them that his old dog Sam had died at 12 years old and they were going to look at some puppies the following week.

I didn't know he was a sound engineer at the local radio, I'd never seen him before and I didn't get to their table until nearly an hour later.

You just never know who you are talking to.

Cheers

Scott

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Another GREAT contribution Scott. Thank you. Believe it or not I can remember Geller on a radio program telling listeners to see how his mind had even bent items in their own homes. He told us to hold non running watches in our hands as he caused the to run again. And even said that after the program many of us would find lost items which had been gone for some time. I just don't see us doing much of that anymore and I wonder why?

WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Because it would have made the person making the claim seem like a nut case. At least, in the US.

Uri came along at the right time to make those claims. People were in a position to mentally accept things like psychic abilities in the 60s, 70s, and into the 80s.

While I believe the US is currently in a position where the general populace is looking for something more esoteric/spiritual in their entertainment, through the 90s and early 00s it was "cool" to be a cynic/skeptic. If someone went on national TV today and claimed to have genuine psychic powers, they would, metaphorically, be torn to shreds. Even Geller has had to back down on his character.

I don't think anyone today has had the proper strategy and skill set to make use of the types of claims that Geller built his career on.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Always,and the more you perform the more these situations will present themselves. Remember some people will always try and find meanings to everything if it gives their own perceptions validation.

Conformation bias?

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Taking Credit for Things as a Mentalist. (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL