The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Lap desk for mobility scooter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I bought this lap desk to perform on when doing tricks on my mobility scooter. Mary Mowder suggested I add a small rim around the top to keep things from rolling off and an attached pad, preferably both removable without damage to the top. Any suggestions?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I0F5T2
mr_misdirection
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of mr_misdirection
That's a nice desk for that price.

I would suggest brass furniture beading for the rim you require, this will match your hinges and work well as both a decorative trim and rim.

As for attaching your pad and beading to it. High grade double sided masking tape should provide enough grip to hold them in place during a performance yet not mark the wood when you remove it.

Or you could go for Masterbond (I haven't used that personally but apparently it does not contaminate the surface) or a non abrasive sealant which will hold the pad and trim in place but can be easily removed without leaving a mark.

If you are also concerned about the desk slipping I would suggest using magnets housed in the lap pillow and attached to a magnetic strip either on your legs or on your scooter just to give it stability. I had to do this for a friend with their lap dinner tray and writing board which use a similiar pillow.

I'm eager to read how you get on with this.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I have used it once. It worked well. Front to back it is a bit snug between me and the steering tiller. Lose weight?

I will be performing in a booth at the California State Fair called "Magic of the Mind" with displays related to illusions (optical, cognitive and others). Suggestions of an illusion I could attach to the scooter? Small, inexpensive, not complicate to build.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It would help if you got someone to take a photo of you sitting and performing in your Magic Mobility Scooter. Then magicians here might have some good workable suggestions for you to use.
mr_misdirection
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of mr_misdirection
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2018, gomerel wrote:
I have used it once. It worked well. Front to back it is a bit snug between me and the steering tiller. Lose weight?

I will be performing in a booth at the California State Fair called "Magic of the Mind" with displays related to illusions (optical, cognitive and others). Suggestions of an illusion I could attach to the scooter? Small, inexpensive, not complicate to build.

Losing weight might be an option but no cakes? Noooo, I'd just move the tiller Smile

A bit of advice I would give is stay away from colour based optical illusions. I have colour blindness so can rarely see these effects.

Have you thought about using the Gozinta Boxes but maybe making your own?
Years ago a made a set out of plywood which I could take apart (hinges or magnets work). This was for a training session on creativity I attended. I based the routine around how my organised brain which is often seen as bigger than my creativity brain would often get taken over by my much larger creative brain. You get the drift.
It was basically the Parabox trick but I had made little brains out of sponge instead of using sponge balls to accompany it.

Or you could make yourself a larger Lubors Lens. I use one of my Gozinta boxes as the background to my Lubors lens trick (it saved making three boxes). Again for the same session I based this around creativity and how we often can't see what is in plain sight of us.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2018, mr_misdirection wrote:

A bit of advice I would give is stay away from colour based optical illusions. I have colour blindness so can rarely see these effects.

I have heard some colors are worse than others, based on frequency of the type of color blindness. I am planning to do some sort of color changing hankies. Different darkness, e.g. black and white?

If I move the tiller farther forward, I can't reach it.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If you can dye or paint your own silk hankies (Dharma Trading Company has everything you need: https://www.dharmatrading.com/ ) you can do more than just black and white, but add a checkerboard pattern, or some other optical illusions painted on silk or printed on jumbo cards:

More ideas from Hypno-Trix in The Wizards' Journal #30.
Justin77
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Justin77
Wow, that's amazing! Which lapdesk do you recommend when practicing magic? Found some good ones here: http://www.scootersnchairs.com
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
Would this lapdesk work on a standard wheelchair? thanks.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I remember someone doing walk around on the independent midway, with an electric scooter with a shelf on the front. That was at the Mid South Fair in the late 1060's.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Lap desk for mobility scooter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL