The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » May The Force Be With You (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2535 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, warren wrote:
Your comments are not wanted here.

I've chatted with Harry many times over the year's and agree he's a true legend who we all owe a dept to however one thing I know about Harry is that he's more than capable of sticking up for himself.

If you truly have so much to offer how about you start your own thread where you can give your advice to those who might actually want it rather than derailing other people's threads.

To save any confusion this post was aimed at Heavyspirit
heavyspirit
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of heavyspirit
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, magicman29 wrote:
Lol heavyspirit you do make me laugh with your comment about speak when you are spoken to,you should do the same as my post was directed to Harry not you. Also I was not trying to "bait" Harry it was just a simple question, I have spoken to him in private and no offence was taken. I like Harry, I have recently got into his work and think he is a great performer and teacher.
Now onto you, from the posts I have read of yours and the comments about you I reckon not many people like you. You are either single or divorced am I right? My last post and insult to you is the best part of you ran down your mother's leg xx

Kieran

I have the last laugh. You have to live in Hertfordshire. And this will not be your last post to me. I guarantee it. Now you mention my mother so it is only fair I mention yours. I have sympathy after all for the poor soul. We all make mistakes and in fact your mother certainly made one.
heavyspirit
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of heavyspirit
Quote:

I've chatted with Harry many times over the year's and agree he's a true legend who we all owe a dept to however one thing I know about Harry is that he's more than capable of sticking up for himself.

If you truly have so much to offer how about you start your own thread where you can give your advice to those who might actually want it rather than derailing other people's threads.

But it isn't your thread my boy. It is the Magic Café's thread. However, I will be happy to allow you to chatter away on it and I won't say a word providing you stop trying to provoke me. All you have to do to shut me up is to shut yourself up. But you can't can you? I am living in your head rent free and I really would like to find more pleasant accomodation. It seems a bit noisy, excitable and emotional in here.

In other words you leave me alone and I will leave you alone. Oh, and try Peppermint Tea. It will make you feel much calmer.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5367 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, heavyspirit wrote:
Quote:

But it isn't your thread my boy. It is the Magic Café's thread. However, I will be happy to allow you to chatter away on it and I won't say a word providing you stop trying to provoke me. All you have to do to shut me up is to shut yourself up. But you can't can you? I am living in your head rent free and I really would like to find more pleasant accomodation. It seems a bit noisy, excitable and emotional in here.

In other words you leave me alone and I will leave you alone. Oh, and try Peppermint Tea. It will make you feel much calmer.

I enjoy a nice cup of peppermint tea myself, dear Reverend.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=133
heavyspirit
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of heavyspirit
I didn't realise the children here were in favour of Harry so I have decided to grant them absolution for their sins.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1924 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Heavy spirit:
While you're here, any word on any more books from you? Like the Royal Road one, or Lives part 2 etc?
heavyspirit
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of heavyspirit
I don't write books. I certainly read them.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1924 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Fair enough.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1928 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah usually those that knock a "simple" sleight such as the criss-cross are usually the same ones who do it wrong and get busted. Although I enjoy doing much harder sleights a lot of times something simple with misdirection is even better, and allows even more relaxation to focus on the presentation. I used the criss-cross a lot when I first started magic 37 years ago and still use it occasionally today and I never had any issues.

The misdirection makes it difficult to keep track of, and most magicians tend to forget how amazed they were at such simple tricks back before they had any knowledge of magic and knew what to look for. So in a sense they become "jaded" and are no able to see magic through the eyes or someone else who does not have those experiences. But "the method is not the trick" what is more important is the presentation and timing, not the sleight itself. There are tons of forces out there also so it is all about personal preference. But don't underestimate how well a simple and easy sleight will work on someone who has never seen it before, it worked on you before you started studying magic as well. That is why you began your journey. Everything is new to those who never saw it before, and these simple sleights are still around after thousands of years for a reason, they work.

Everything you do does not have to be "knuckle-busting", you can floor an audience with a self-working trick and an easy sleight with great presentation. I have done so for a very long time, and seen others do as well. I have also seen magicians bore audiences to sleep with advanced sleight of hand and with poor or no presentation as well. They may have fooled them, but most of the time they only confused them or bored them. The important thing is to "entertain" them. Sometimes having them cut the deck is a lot more convincing due to its simplicity, then the magician trying do a harder force and looking too "technical". No one is a "moron" because they are fooled by magic, that is what it is made to do. Most people do not study magic or know what to look for. That is like blaming a victim for being scammed or robbed, it is not their fault.

Also the more skilled and experienced that you are the more easily you can pull off simple sleights successfully. Which ones you use is personal preference as I said, and also depends on the trick itself and which ones work best with it. Too many magicians forget how easily they were fooled by easy tricks before they started magic. I was floored by the ball vase at age 6, and is the reason why I started magic, followed by the spongeballs, cups and balls, etc. If I thought they were stupid just because I found out the secrets and how easy they were, I would be cheating myself and my audiences out of the same astonishing experiences that I had. Let others see the magic just as you once did, don't assume that everyone has the same knowledge as you do. As I said many times before "simple magic can be simply amazing" thus allowing even more focus on presentation and showmanship.

So it is not surprising that this force fooled most as it should, and will fly by unnoticed if done properly. Only a "moron" would disregard a simple sleight or force simply because he has knowledge of how it works, and assumes that everyone else does also. Usually that is not the case and you can even fool those who do as well by changing things up. "Don't make unimportant things important" (Vernon) or focus on what you don't want the audience to focus on and they won't.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4565 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2018, heavyspirit wrote:
I don't write books. I certainly read them.

Just not the ones published after 1952.
Smile
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"--Abraham Lincoln

You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1928 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
"Men and women, old and young—they don't see card forcing as a general term, they see it as a specific thing which means to spread a deck and secretly push a particular card on someone. Wrap your fat head around this: When you do the classic force you are literally mimicking the ONLY process many people associate with card forcing. With that in mind, of course, the actions of the classic force were rated as "least fair."

Which only further confirms that sometimes the "hardest" way is not necessarily the most effective or most convincing. It looks more like "skill" than magic. But sometimes they work fine as well, every situation is different.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » May The Force Be With You (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL