The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » World Cup 2018 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3071 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Expectations? Hopes? Predictions?

I have no idea what to expect or predict, but as usual, I am rooting for England and/or Mexico, as has been the case for over thirty years.

England probably doesn't have a chance, but would still be my favorite. I'm a traditionalist. If baseball became the most beloved sport in the world, I would like the USA to win occasionally, just to remind the world that it is OUR sport, our invention, our (former) national pastime. So football (soccer) would do very well to be reminded that it once was ENGLAND'S sport, their invention, their (still) national pastime. Who cares about royal weddings? Let Eng-ur-land win the World Cup this year!

Mexico? Well, besides the fact that Mexico is our neighbor (the USA's neighbor, not Germany's), they have always been a favorite of mine. That they beat Germany in the first game was food for many jokes in class yesterday. I wouldn't mind Germany winnings the whole thing again (but they won't), but I surely enjoyed poking fun at Germany's loss.

Prediction: the Angels in extra innings.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Without Paul Germany is nothing!

I am of course required to root for Spain if I wish to stay married. Should Spain lose and Italy still be involved my buddy is Italian so there ya go. Not so much predictions I admit.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5771 Posts

Profile of motown
I’m rooting for Iceland. Go Vikings!
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3970 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I’ve been an England natl team fan since the 90s. Though they pulled out a win yesterday, their general level of play didn’t leave me very hopeful of going very far.

I just saw one of the best passes I’ve ever seen, by Senegal, vs Poland.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
lnlver
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of lnlver
My favorites are Brazil, Argentina and Portugal; I also don't mind Spain. Missing some of the bigger names from four years ago like Wayne Rooney and Balotelli. I hope the bigger games match the excitement and suspense of the Spain-Portugal match.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3071 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Germany is out.

I mean, wow!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Spain and Argentina. I have no idea who will win the cup but those are the ones I'm watching.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
402 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
This is as wide open a World Cup as I have ever seen. The traditional powers have not looked particularly strong. Argentina with Messi were on the brink of elimination in the group stage and still look vulnerable. Spain, Brazil and France all look like they could be beaten on any day. Oh yeah, the favorites, Germany, get eliminated in a 2-0 defeat to South Korea.

Belgium alone among the pre-tourney favorites has lived up to its billing and they look like the team to beat at this point.

Croatia has probably been the biggest surprise among the teams advancing from the group stage. However, it's hard to call them a surprise team given the number of first team players from Europe's top leagues they put on the field.

Perennial underachiever England has also been very good and it will be interesting to see how they fare against Belgium on Thursday. If Harry Kane keeps scoring goals England has a chance. Unfortunately, both sides are likely to play a number of subs having already clinched their spots in the knockout stage, so we may not get a true sense of how these sides stack up against each other.

This thing is wide open and up to 10 teams have a legitimate shot at winning it all.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
402 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
...and boy, Mexico sure laid an egg today losing 3-0 to Sweden. I guess the football gods allowed them to advance due to the unlikely German loss to Korea just so they could go out in the round of 16...AGAIN.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is to the round of 16 and time for the big time teams to show up.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5508 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I'm taking England for the Cup
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1757 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
First they’ll have to defeat Columbia, and then face either Sweden or Switzerland in the quarter-final.

Then, if they win that game, they’ll be facing either Spain, Russia, Croatia or Denmark in the semi-final (depending on which of those teams advance).

Finally, depending on other results, in the final they will come up against one of the following: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, France, Uruguay, Portugal, Japan, or Belgium (who just beat England in the last of their group stage matches).

It’s a tough call, but I’ve traditionally always rooted for England.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3970 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Here's an interview conducted during the WC with Pele Smile

http://www.theunticket.com/fake-pele-hates-george-6-19-18/
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tomorrow Argentina plays France. Anyone think Messi will show up?

Spain and Russia on Sunday. I'm pulling for Spain. Any thoughts?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1757 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I'm predicting France to beat Argentina, and Russia to knock Spain out of the Cup.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Really? I thought of Russia as one of the weaker teams.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2018, arthur stead wrote:
I'm predicting France to beat Argentina, and Russia to knock Spain out of the Cup.

So far you're half right! I hope you stay at 50%.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5581 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Really? I thought of Russia as one of the weaker teams.

They do have home field advantage.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm a little surprised by the extra time.

Spain has a poor record against host counties I'll say that!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2018, arthur stead wrote:

Your predicting skills are dead on so far. Much better than my rooting for skills!

Anyone want a particular team eliminated? It seems all I have to do is root for them.

As an unrelated side note this year I hate the Cubs and hope they lose.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » World Cup 2018 (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL