The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Monitoring sports fans? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
FIFA does it!

Apparently the world needs people to make sure that sports fans are politically correct.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44525523

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44405889

We Americans are so self-absorbed that we only talk about the players taking a knee during the national anthem. Meanwhile,

according the the second article:

Quote:
Every World Cup match will have three anti-discrimination observers in the stands, monitoring the behaviour of fans.

I would love a world free of racism and homophobia, but policing the fans in a stadium?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well, soccer fans do seem to take the phrase "fighting words" quite literally. Will misbehaving fans be given penalty cards?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
No, but according to the article, the club/organization will be fined for what their fans do. Or chant. In the stadium.

Please don't misunderstand me: ugly chants from fans are...well...ugly. But why should a club be responsible for their fans' ugliness

I find it strange.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Why are teams penalized when their fans throw stuff on the field of play? It's a low cost way to attempt to control behavior. I don't think it will work for footie. The fanatical devotion and unrulyness make the Raiders fans look like Raiderettes.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
When I posted I forgot a minor detail that might explain something: here in Germany, a sports club includes the fans. They pay dues, literally. Maybe that's the way it is in most of the world of soccer. Still, I don't think that the national team has a club that you can belong to. But maybe that's different in other countries.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Monitoring sports fans? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL