The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » License plate prediction OPEN SOURCE! (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
I love this
Congrats on something very unique
Do I understand correctly that this will be available as a finished product? If so what will be the best source to purchase and do you have a cost yet?
I am only interested in purchasing a completely finished unit.
Cheers
MJ
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Just received the finished product of the California version from Hocus Pocus. I wasn't sure if it would be part of my order because HP isn't good at showing whether something is actually in stock on their website. Everything ALWAYS shows as "in stock", and since I couldn't find the CA version anywhere in stock, I assumed HP was probably out of stock too but ordered anyway the minute I saw it in the hopes they did have it and luckily they did. I know I could have simply called or emailed and I often do, but this time it really didn't matter.

So anyway, on my brief look over of the product it appears to be really well made and I do just love the effect. Since you get an actual license plate already made up (or at least a very good replica) I think getting the finished product is the way to go. I'm not sure how to get the metal license plate made and having it appear to be a genuine license plate really makes the effect IMO. I have to admit I don't really get the open source thing as it applies to this product because all of the elements would be really hard to make I believe. I guess you could put something together and achieve a similar but much more poorly made version but just buy the already super well-made version and you'll be much happier. It is a bargain for what you get IMO.
I think all the pieces would be a pain to make.

Most can probably already figure out the method but I think the method is very good too, and works well in this context.

You could involve 7 or more people in this if you would like. That's an aspect I like a lot.

I am really happy with this product. Great job Martin!!!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Can you have a bespoke registration, perhaps making up a funny word?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Tried this out tonight. Got great reactions. I got the new york version since blue on yellow is easy to see. I agree that this would be a nightmare to make on your own so I highly recommend buying the full version.
Martin Andersen
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
158 Posts

Profile of Martin Andersen
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, matthewjohnson wrote:
I love this
Congrats on something very unique
Do I understand correctly that this will be available as a finished product? If so what will be the best source to purchase and do you have a cost yet?
I am only interested in purchasing a completely finished unit.
Cheers
MJ

Hi MJ! Glad you like it
You can buy this from your local magic shop, if they do have stock Smile
Otherwise you can purchase on our website, free shipping worldwide: https://ideaalab.com/en/shop/magic/licen......n-detail

Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, videoman wrote:
On my brief look over of the product it appears to be really well made and I do just love the effect. Since you get an actual license plate already made up (or at least a very good replica) I think getting the finished product is the way to go. I'm not sure how to get the metal license plate made and having it appear to be a genuine license plate really makes the effect IMO. I have to admit I don't really get the open source thing as it applies to this product because all of the elements would be really hard to make I believe. I guess you could put something together and achieve a similar but much more poorly made version but just buy the already super well-made version and you'll be much happier. It is a bargain for what you get IMO.
I think all the pieces would be a pain to make.

Most can probably already figure out the method but I think the method is very good too, and works well in this context.

You could involve 7 or more people in this if you would like. That's an aspect I like a lot.

I am really happy with this product. Great job Martin!!!

Regarding the open source, well, I don't share your vision. I do believe that this can be made in half day. You just download the files, and go to a photocopier or printing shop, and they can make the printings in a moment. Those stores can put the spiral binding and also they usually have a paper guillotine, and they can make the cuts also if you explain them how to do it. Otherwise you will have to do it with a ruler and an xacto knife.
that's how I did my first prototype, I printed at hope in smaller size and assembled in a couple of hours.
Its true that the ready made version is higher quality, because when doing bulk manufacture we can access to better quality materials and lower costs. Still with "regular" materials you can make a great job.

Also happy you like the method, the quality and the product overall Smile

Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Can you have a bespoke registration, perhaps making up a funny word?

You can create your own version if you like, of course! Just change what you want in the templates.

Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, emyers99 wrote:
Tried this out tonight. Got great reactions. I got the new york version since blue on yellow is easy to see. I agree that this would be a nightmare to make on your own so I highly recommend buying the full version.

Thanks a lot for your purchase and I'm very happy to hear that you are getting great reactions Smile
No, I dont know what im doing. Nowbody knows what im doing. Thats why its called investigation.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
A well known magic creator sent me one of these (ready made version) which I received today (CA) version.

Not super impressed. Why?

1. The idea is clever as heck. Love the idea. Wanted to like this but...

2. The execution unfortunately is poor.

3. The creator started out with the opposite of how a typical **** pad is made. They chose to start with a shrt page instead of a long, which I think is a mistake as you can see the huge gaps at the bottom straight away when you are apparently looking at the n for*e (display) pages. It looks sloppy and calls attention to the method. Obviously if you made this yourself you could make the pad the way you want - and even start with a L page (which is best)

4. The paper used is very flimsy -thin

5. Printing looks good. Size is good.

6. There are only about 18 total sheets (9 L and 9 Shrt). That means for display there aren't a lot of possibles. More pages would have been wise, with heavier stock.

7. Because of the huge cuts - and the fact that the paper starts with a shrt page (opposite of what is typical) it means that the F selections must then be handled by the performer (not a spectator) - face down. That is also a weakness.

8. The huge cuts remind me of the Sketch O Magic kids pad trick (great kids trick btw). In that case the big gaps don't really matter - its a kids trick. In essence this license plate prediction really IS a Sketch O Magic cousin - except the Sketch O Magic is better because at least it starts correctly with a L page. This pad will get more scrutiny.

All in all - love the idea, but the ready-made execution disappoints.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Martin Andersen
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
158 Posts

Oh, come on! don't be so cruel with me Smile
Thanks for taking the time to write a long review of the product. Despite what it may look like, all the things that didn't impress you were carefully decided to be that way. Let me explain:

2. Well, I'm not the best performer Smile But poor execution is maybe too harsh. In any case, this may be the only thing not intended Smile

3. We started with the S page because it provides a better handling. I know that every magician is familiar with the oposite, but if you start with an L page, then the spectator will have to make his selection with the numbers facing him, and that is in my opinion a problem, because if he change his mind and try to choose other, or if he catch a glimpse of more than one page while riffling, then he will realize THAT.
The edge of the first S page is noticeable because you know what you are looking for, and because you are closer than the audience. But at the moment of the spectator having to choose, all the pages are facing down, so the first page is L and there is nothing weird to find.

4. We tried different kinds of paper and different thickness and we found that this was just the right one. Thicker pages would have made harder riffling the pages, both for the magician and the spectator. For the magician, it gives nice control over the speed of riffling, while for the spectator, allows to keep the feel that he really can choose any page. If the pages were more rigid, when you try to pick a page, you either pick the first or the last one, but its very difficult to pick from the middle because of the tension of the pages.
Also note that this paper is in fact plastic. So it will last longer, and if it get dirty of use, you can clean it with a wet cloth.

6. Numbers from 0 to 9 are all the possibilities, No need to repeat. Adding repeated numbers could be counterproductive. If the spectator notice a repeated number you may grow suspicion. Just imagine doing a card effect, and your deck unintentionally have some repeated cards, even that you don't use them, if the spectator realize those cards he will attribute the explanation to this.
10 numbers, 10 possibilities, no more no less. And regarding letters, we also placed 10 possibilities, just to keep the same number of sheets on every segment of the pad.

7. As explained in point 3.
Moreover, the bottom cover of the pad has the blank license plate. And while spectators make their selections, the license plate starts to complete with every number, which I think its visually nice.
If you do the other way around, you have all the numbers showing, and even when the spectators have made several selections, you can not tell which numbers and letters were selected already and which not, because all numbers are always showing, and can be quite confusing.

8. In the explanation video, I tell the history and credits fort this trick. David Garrard with his Sketch-o-magic was my biggest inspiration for the method.
Regarding the gap between L and S, it has been tested. Shorter gap may increase the probability of error. This pad indeed gets more scrutiny, if you allow it. Audience management in this case is as simple as not giving the attention to the pad, but to the free choices, the history you are telling, giving just the right amount of time to each spectator to make his selection, but not let them play with the pad....

Anyway, all I explained is just my vision, and may not be the same for everyone of us. I really respect what you told, as any other opinion I'm always open to hear and improve, but also because with that many SvenPads created and sold, you may be the most knowledgeable magician talking about L & S pages. So thanks again for writing your opinion

Let me finish with an idea shown in the explanation video, that I think is one of the best routine you can do with this prediction:
At the beginning of you show you present an envelope that you place at plain sight at the stage (you hang it from the ceiling, or place it in a clear chest...)
Also you present the license plate pad, and you place it on one side of the stage.
Then for every person that helps you in the show, before they go back to their seat, you as him to choose one number for the license plate using the pad.
The license plate get completed with every person that helps you. And the pad is always visible. So audience really know that the resulting license plate number is truly random.
At the end of the show, before finishing, you reveal the license plate as grand finale Smile
I think this presentation is even more powerful than using it as a standalone trick. This makes it part of the show, increasing power of the prediction with every spectator, similar to a running gag, that gets funnier every time.
No, I dont know what im doing. Nowbody knows what im doing. Thats why its called investigation.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
After having worked with this prop a little bit I have to say that I agree with Martin's ideas and I’m glad he made the choices he did.
With all due respect to Brett I think he may be too close to this concept and too locked in to doing it in the way in which he is accustomed.

A case in point is Brett's comment on the large gap. I know he takes great pride in producing his precision pads with nearly imperceptible size differences. His are fantastic and I own many of them, but they are intended to be used in a different way, where that extreme precision is beneficial. The way the License Plate pad is routined NO ONE is going to see these larger gaps. I prefer to have the workings be more foolproof.

Also, I do like having the pad be face down and filling in the blank license plate digit by digit. I agree with Martin that it not only has benefits but is also more visually pleasing. In fact, I rather fancy the idea of allowing each spectator to flip over whichever digit they desire and not necessarily flip them in order. This pad allows for that.

IMO the pad is very well made and I think it’s misleading for Brett to claim otherwise. Please believe that I have the highest respect for Brett and value his opinions very much. But as much as I hate to think it, if the truth be told I fear that Brett would find fault with any pad that is similar in method to those that he produces. I will take him at his word that he “wanted to like this” but it is a bit difficult to believe because I have yet to see any good reviews from him concerning any pads similar to his. In many of those reviews I would agree with him but not in this case. I consider this a great value for the price.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I have to agree with videoman on every point. Love my svenpads but this is a different animal. I like the way it visually builds and because of how hands off this is, the workings have to be foolproof.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
As I said I love the idea... but for my taste (and yes I’m admittedly a stickler for precision) this left me cold.

Starting with a SH page also feels wrong to me since the working are visible clearly ...I think best to always start Lng.

Truth be told the well known pro who sent me the sample wasn’t happy with it.

In any event it’s a way cool idea and I’m too close to this
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Martin Andersen
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
158 Posts

This conversation we are having states clear that there is no WRONG way to do it. Its more about taste. We tried with L page first, but faced with the problems explained before, and decided to go this way.
Our product was made according to my opinion of what a stage performer needs, based on many years of experience. But its important to notice that close up and stage props have different needs.
Anyway, the templates can be changed to anyones preference. And remember that you don't have to purchase the product to have access to the templates. They are publicly available, and everything is explained, so anyone can make it as he want. The link is on the first post.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
I simply love everything about this. The idea, the look, the possibility to perform this the way you want, the ability to get it in multiple country version, everything really is good with it !

I should receive it quickly so I can do a more in depth review Smile
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2018, Alex DLF wrote:
I simply love everything about this. The idea, the look, the possibility to perform this the way you want, the ability to get it in multiple country version, everything really is good with it !

I should receive it quickly so I can do a more in depth review Smile

Holding off til I hear from YOU!
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
We just got the UK version in stock today.

The quality and operation is great, the order of the pages makes sense as they are flipped from face down by the spectator so a long page is the first page they see.

The plate is a 3d pressed type plate which is nice, I was expecting a flat plastic one but the 3d pressed one looks great.

Can't say any more really, I'm having one for myself - this is recommended - simple idea - well made - great effect.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Khuluma
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Khuluma
Couldn't find it on Staurn magic site. Are they out of stock Mark?
Khuluma
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Khuluma
..sorry..rushed typing. Are they out of stock Mark on your Saturn Magic Site?
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Two questions?

Are we supposed to predict a known license plate number, like that of someone in the audience or just a prediction that looks like a license plate? I need a better explanation as to the purpose of the effect?

Are there any plans to make an Onatario version?. It is the most populous province in Canada, not BC.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2018, Khuluma wrote:
Couldn't find it on Staurn magic site. Are they out of stock Mark?

We have the UK version only in stock https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-mag......ick.html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Martin Andersen
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
158 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 21, 2018, aligator wrote:
Two questions?

Are we supposed to predict a known license plate number, like that of someone in the audience or just a prediction that looks like a license plate? I need a better explanation as to the purpose of the effect?

Are there any plans to make an Onatario version?. It is the most populous province in Canada, not BC.

You get a replica license plate (almost identical to the original). Not possible to predict someone in the audience license plate.
No Ontario version at the moment. We wanted a vintage version and 1935 British Columbia plate was nice for the purpose.
danieltirado
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of danieltirado
Martin muchas gracias, thanks men! Just bought a California one for myself!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » License plate prediction OPEN SOURCE! (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL