The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tic Tac Toe Pro by Bond Lee (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2018, Sophocles wrote:

If you can basically do the X-O pattern to come out as you want then you could create a cheaper version using paper and cardboard.
Personally will try to make one. I'm sure it will not look anything as nice but the effect can be just as strong.
Imagine at a kids birthday you do this and when you turn it around it says "Happy Birthday XXXX".

tisk. at least send the guy some money for the idea.
Or at buy this one: Tic Tac Toe by Nicolas Goubet
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Who's idea was this [?]

Is it Martin Gardner's [?]

Obviously it predates Bond Lee and there's nothing original in this release...

But in regards to Sophocles post - who should he give some money to [?]

This is a geniune question
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2018, The Duster wrote:
Who's idea was this [?]

Did Martin have the reveal on the back? I would say that is the major addition/idea that is selling it.
Is Lee's method the same as others before? (I don't know)

Well, he wouldn't be interested in doing it if he hadn't gotten the idea from this release.

How it is different than watching a magic demo, figuring out the method and doing it yourself?
Do you feel that is ethical?
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2018, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:
Who's idea was this [?]

Did Martin have the reveal on the back? I would say that is the major addition/idea that is selling it.

Well, he wouldn't be interested in doing it if he hadn't gotten the idea from this release.

How it is different than watching a magic demo, figuring out the method and doing it yourself?

Actually, the first time I saw such an effect was on a Richard Osterlind DVD, and of course YouTube which is full of Tic Tac Toe routines...
Osterlind had a nice ending with the photo and kids on the street.
At the end of the day, I think its an effect which anyone who has played enough Tic-Tac-Toe may realize. Before I even started doing any magic or even knew of such an effect I had figured that Tic Tac Toe final combinations are limited...
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I ask

As the exact same trick [with the stage version, and photo reveal] is on one of them knock off Chinese sites - and seems to have gone up there on or before 2014

Now the effect they stole from would predate that

This version [Bond Lee] is cheaper <than even the 'discounted' knock off version is>

I guess the Chinese Knock off - isn't a knock off... as this effect is maybe like 'cups and balls' - and so anyone can do it. As there is no recorded 'creator'?

Martin Gardner maybe put it into print in the 1950's

Was Osterlind the one to add the kicker ending [?]

There's a version of Martin Gardner's Tic Tac Toe in Syzygy credited to Bev Bergeron Vol 1 Number 11 - but that doesn't have the picture ending like the Chinese Knock off set in 2014 had

Just wish I could work out what effect the 2014 was a knock off, of

As if Osterlind didn't come up with the photo/picture kicker - then that creator [the knock off was of] probably did
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Hmmm, seems to be some sort of issue with it's release. It was supposed to be available July 2nd but now every site it's showing "pre-order" or out of stock even before you could order. Anyone shed light on supplies.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
It has sold out everywhere.

This is an increasing trend.

Murphys are placing smaller orders for product so they can judge demand better I guess.

The reason for all the sales that keep going on is they are historically overstocked and going forward they only want to buy what they are sure they can sell.

This means we have to live with new items selling out before they are even released or very soon after and waiting for second batched to be made.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Thanks Mark, appreciate you taking the time to explain the situation. I understand why a supplier might do that, but boy, this must have been a very small run.
AbsoluteZero
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of AbsoluteZero
There are still some parlor size copies available directly from our store.

We are offering a discount at the moment:
https://www.magiclismstore.com/product-p......bond-lee
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2018, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:
Who's idea was this [?]

And this
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2018, jerdunn wrote:
...And here's a pocket version for $24.95: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S21845 ...

The reveal on the back:
In the introduction of the Tic Tac Toe Pro tutorial, Bond Lee credits Nicolas Goubet.
Nicolas Goubet seems to be the creator of the Tic Tac Toe pocket version from Penguin that you find in the link from jerdunn, see above.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I'm seeing these pop up on the used magic sites now... sounds like a bad sign.
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2018, stempleton wrote:
I'm seeing these pop up on the used magic sites now... sounds like a bad sign.

Sadly, probably more of a sign that people aren't prepared to put the work / practice in to perform it well. Whilst being ungimmicked and requiring no sleights (and also being a significant step forward from the original Gardner effect), it does require a fair bit of memory work to be smooth in performance - and so can't be performed immediately out of the box. It is very well thought out and gives a big impact for the reveal (but no gain without the pain of practice!).
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2018, Sophocles wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2018, john G wrote:
Looks cool but too expensive imo
John

If you can basically do the X-O pattern to come out as you want then you could create a cheaper version using paper and cardboard.
Personally will try to make one. I'm sure it will not look anything as nice but the effect can be just as strong.
Imagine at a kids birthday you do this and when you turn it around it says "Happy Birthday XXXX".

I think the final reveal would go over the kids' heads. I think they'd only see it as a birthday greeting, having nothing to do with a prediction unless it was clearly spelled out to them what "could have been."
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
@Terry Haven’t tried it but after putting a few more parties under my belt I realized you are 100% right. Personally I don’t think it’s very strong in general. Cute filler perhaps for a corporate event.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
The "effect" of this escaped me at first.

I saw Bev Bergeron's live lecture a long time ago and bought his lecture notes on how to do a tic tac toe prediction.

Easy to do with a piece of paper. Costs nothing to do after I paid the for the lecture.

When I saw this new trick, I was waiting for the "reveal". I'm thinking nice props. He turns it over and shows the logo of some company, I thought "so what?" All that money to buy this and play tic tac toe and show the company logo. I read through this thread and then realized he is supposedly revealing the logo as chance. I looked at the video again and now see the plexiglass is clear. So it made no sense to me at first, you play tic tac toe, and turn it around to show a logo that was there all along? That is what it looked like to me watching this demo. Seems like unless you explained it better, it would fall flat on an audience. He should have showed parts of the logo on the back of each X and O...

And explained the X and O holder was see through. This could be accomplished with a "see through" holder that already had the logo on the back...I claim all rights to it.

In general, the video demo fell flat for me. I think it might for most audiences unless you explain and present it it better.
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2018, Acecardician wrote:
The "effect" of this escaped me at first.

I saw Bev Bergeron's live lecture a long time ago and bought his lecture notes on how to do a tic tac toe prediction.

Easy to do with a piece of paper. Costs nothing to do after I paid the for the lecture.

When I saw this new trick, I was waiting for the "reveal". I'm thinking nice props. He turns it over and shows the logo of some company, I thought "so what?" All that money to buy this and play tic tac toe and show the company logo. I read through this thread and then realized he is supposedly revealing the logo as chance. I looked at the video again and now see the plexiglass is clear. So it made no sense to me at first, you play tic tac toe, and turn it around to show a logo that was there all along? That is what it looked like to me watching this demo. Seems like unless you explained it better, it would fall flat on an audience. He should have showed parts of the logo on the back of each X and O...

And explained the X and O holder was see through. This could be accomplished with a "see through" holder that already had the logo on the back...I claim all rights to it.

In general, the video demo fell flat for me. I think it might for most audiences unless you explain and present it it better.

The effect is that despite the randomness of placing the pieces the image on the back has every piece in the correct place (the only purpose of the plexiglass is to see the back of the cards and it is clear (pun intended) that there is nothing on the plexiglass) E.g. the spectator has the choice of 8 positions for their first piece and they can genuinely choose any one and, from the image, with no symmetry etc, there is only one place that would make it work.

I may print images that look like a jigsaw and this will make the effect even clearer.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Lol, yes, I know the effect now, but the first 3 times I watched the video demo it went right over my head.

I did not think anything happened.

I guess I'm not the brightest bulb in the house, Smile

This would for sure fall flat for a kid audience. Unless you are a superstar magician. I'm sure someone could get it to work. But the average age I work for is 3-5. I guess that is how my brain works now.

ACE
rbcjhollander
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of rbcjhollander
My review:

I have the parlor version of Tic Tac Toe Pro. I love the whole concept and reveal of whatever I want on the reverse side. As most here have pointed out, there is a pattern but, unless you are doing the routine over and over for the same spectators, I doubt very much they will guess the secret. The only limitation really is that the magician does have to place the O in the center square. But, from there, the spectators do have a free choice to place their X in any of the eight remaining open squares. Biggest challenge in the routine is keeping track of the pattern depending on where your opponent puts their X because you need to change where your next moves are based on that orientation. Yes, you mark the squares with dots to ensure that your image will show up correctly. And yes, you are forcing a pattern. But 99% of that force is natural in a game of Tic Tac Toe. Obviously, if there are 2 X's in a row, you would have to block with your O. That's what happens most of the time. The flipping of the first O in the center, as some have noted, is covered by tipping to the audience that a pattern or image has been created on the back based on their free choices. You replace that center square however it needs to be to complete the pattern/image -- but this should go unnoticed since the action was precipitated by the motivation of showing that there is something on the back.

There is a photoshop file provided that is divided into 9 squares. The way I did it was to lay my image over the entire surface and then crop to each individual square, print on 8.5x11 paper, then do it again for each of the 9 squares. Then, cut out each square and affix to the backs of the X/O squares via blue tack or Loctite putty.

My biggest complaint is that, after repeated use, the magnets do come out and will need to be glued in. I've been practicing quite a bit to get the patterns and orders down so some have come out. Apparently an occupational hazard due to the stress of the magnets being pulled apart. It's no big deal to have a couple come out because there are more than enough across the acrylic and 4 on each X/O square. But more than that and you'll want to glue them back in. Bond covers this somewhat in the video tutorial -- suggesting some glues that are not available in the US. I'm going to be trying Krazy Glue for the squares and a Gorilla Glue Epoxy for the acrylic. But overall, I think it's a great routine or kicker. I intend to use it as a reveal of a murderer as a kicker in a Clue/Cluedo routine. Hope this helps.
--

"Don't make unimportant things important." - Dai Vernon
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Fantastic and thorough review about key elements of the effect for those who don't have it yet. Thank You Very Much!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
rbcjhollander
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of rbcjhollander
You're very welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions.
--

"Don't make unimportant things important." - Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tic Tac Toe Pro by Bond Lee (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL