The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Doug Henning - MERLIN Levitation (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
This is an amazing illusion! Despite the apparent simplicity of the method. I would like to note two factors - the speed of the movement after the landing and the well-designed cloak. This is the best illusion for the theater - which I saw. Perhaps you have a thought?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fiS_MZ-26o
Smile
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I saw the show on Broadway as well. My only thought is that I liked it and always wondered why it wasn't well received like "The Magic Show" was. As I recall it closed in less than a year.
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Today I will arrange a night of Doug Henning's show.
There are more than 8 shows to be seen. Smile
I do not know whether the merlin was ever recorded.
Although I think some Café members should have it!
I admire this illusion of flying. Perhaps someone had time to buy it during the sale of illusions in the 90's?
Does anyone know links to books - where is a simple comedy version described?
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

By the way, now filming - a documentary about Doug Henning.
Memories share - greatest magicians (Lance Burton and .....) Smile
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Glenn not sure if you have read the Henning bio. "Spellbound" Some very good insides on the various shows that Doug was in including Merlin.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I really love Jim Steinmeyer's excellent book Art and Artifice which contains a detailed essay on the staging of The Mascot Moth illusion used in Merlin. The whole book is really terrific, but this is my favorite section.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Blair, no I've not read Spellbound but thanks for mentioning, I'll have to check it out. I can still remember being a little kid in pajamas watching Doug's TV specials, been a fan ever since!
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
The Merlin show appeared on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AblBmLnlbc
Magiciens
View Profile
New user
En France, pays des droits de l'homme
3 Posts

Profile of Magiciens
Often the old effects deserve a spotlight. Effectively it's nice.
janos5303
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of janos5303
Tim Clothier designed a similar effect for me for a theme park show that was never used. The character would appear floating in mid-air and then set down. It would've been awesome.
FasciN8
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FasciN8
I enjoy the plot of this act as it teaches that magic is passed down and not bought. Unfortunately, that is not the case anymore. Also, it really is about magic and wonder. But I must point out the irony of the message vs. the people who produced the act to sell tickets. Just saying.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Doug Henning - MERLIN Levitation (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL