The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Lost for Words by Steve Wood (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Thanks mate. It means a lot that you like it!
Pixelated
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
Sounds great, just ordered!
Sethekk
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Sethekk
Any idea when a performance trailer will be posted ? sounds incredible and really clean, would love to see the performance.

Thanks
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
The trailer is still being worked on. As a workaround I've demmed it online for people. Within reason and where I can I'll still do that until the trailer comes out next week. Send me a pm! Later today I'll post a description.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Steve just kindly demoed this for me, and from that he has convinced me to purchase.

Madison has covered the step by step of what happens, so I can only add my personal thoughts.

Firstly, it fooled me. I don't have any idea how that could have possibly worked. Secondly, the justification for the words being in play is great, and personally I like that most about the effect, as weird as that sounds (That's probably because I half expected to be fooled, not that badly mind you)

Because of that justification, you have the perfect reason to use a peek wallet/PAC stack/another peek technique for your next effect, it makes perfect sense for them to write down a thought secretly, and for you to retain it.

im left here scratching my head having no idea how he did that, and I'll be waiting by my mail box waiting for it to arrive.
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Honestly, the method is as satisfying as the experience of seeing it. I don't want to keep bigging it up myself, but it really does mean the world when people who don't know me take the time to post positives like that. Thank you so much, and I know you're going to love it. Yours has just been posted, so I've now posted all that have been ordered so far (I live next to a Post Office, which is handy!) Any ordered tonight will go out in the morning - I've run out of envelopes!

Steve
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
PS I love your extra thinking. Thanks for sharing it!
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Okay, I promised a description tonight but Madison has captured it perfectly already! Let me add a few things so that it's clear about how hands off it is etc etc.

"He took a stack of business cards."
I use around 50 (but call it 70 in performance - because I can!) You can do this with more, or less. The premise is that you have always been fascinated to know whether there are any common or similar responses that keep occurring when you ask participants to think of a word, so you have started to collect them.

"He went through them one by one and showed that each card had a random word on it. Each card had a different word."
You can go through the whole set whilst you are talking. There's no block of cards that are the same.

"He cut the cards randomly to choose a starting point (I would have done this had I been there in person) from where I cut he took 16 cards."
This is a free cut. Some magicians have said that when it happens it looks like a Svengali principle applied to business cards. As a result, to be mischievous I've left that in. The truth is that they can cut anywhere and the cards are genuinely dealt from where they cut. The cards dealt off are also a unique set - looking through the rest you'll see that they are different.

"He showed me that each one of the 16 cards was a different word (Truly no duplicates. Each word was different.)"
This is completely accurate. Every single word is shown and is different. There are also no anagrams.

"He then grabbed 2 blank cards and asked me to add my own words. So I told him two random words which he wrote down. He then had me select 2 words out of the 16 to switch out for my cards. I did so and he fairly put my cards in at the positions I chose. He then mixed the stack up and put them where I could clearly see them (had I been there, they would have been between my hands.)"
I've had a couple of questions about the words / cards swapped in. In the pack supplied you get a stock of around 50 business cards. You will have to write words on them as a one time setup. In fact, I recommend that you get OTHER people to do that - it looks so much better if they are in different handwritings, and that's why I didn't just have words printed on them already. Also, this way you can customise the words. Clearly no matter how many I supply, if you want to perform the version described (which I do) that adds in words from the spectator that would use extra cards each time. I CAN supply extra packs but this wasn't conceived as a consumerable trick. It can be done without the spectator adding in words, but if you want to do that version I'd recommend using your own business cards - it's also a great way to give your card out!

"He asked me to think of any number between 1-16. He then told me to change my mind. He told me to change it again. And again. And finally one more time. There were no restrictions in any of these changes and I never spoke anything out loud. I just changed numbers randomly in my head."
This is completely accurate. One thing to note is that sometimes this starts when the cards are already in the participant's hands, and sometimes I put them in their hands partway through, but the participant is ALWAYS given the choice to change their mind after they have been placed in their hands - and they are never touched again by the performer after that time.

"He asked for the number I was thinking of. He slowly called out the word on every card in the stack in order counting as he did so. The 9th card would be my word. He reached the 9th card and I saw and memorized my word. All the other cards were checked again to confirm they were all different."
On SKYPE I had to deal these, but in performance it is always the participant who counts to the word. They are not touched by the performer and the participant always checks every word to be sure that the chosen word is different to all the others in the set. I'd also add that there are no mathematical (or other) procedures. The spectator settles on a number and then deals to it.

"He then motioned towards a black plastic sleeve on the table which had been in full view at all times. He pulled off the sleeve and there was a number staring at me. The number of letters in my word. Also on that same card was the last letter of the word I selected. He put the cards on the table one card at a time and low and behold, the cards spelled the word I selected. And each card was numbered so there’s no way it could have been rearranged to spell a different word."
The custom printed cards have a letter and number printed on each one. Again, there are no anagrams and no hiding cards, palming cards, rough and smooth etc. The cards are on show the whole time apart from a small sleeve that covers the information in the middle. They are dealt in a row in order from the top, and numbered in order.

"That’s EXACTLY what I experienced. It blew my mind. So fair in every aspect. Perhaps the best word prediction I’ve ever seen. I have no clue how he did it, but I can’t wait to get it in the mail to learn and perform. It is INCREDIBLY clean and fair."
Thank you - I try to structure my tricks so that they appear completely, 100% fair, and it means a lot that that's what people experience with Lost for Words.

I should add that the outcome is 100%, every time, and the word is not the same every time. It also instantly resets - the reset occurs during the performance, so when you've finished you're good to go again (though I'd never do it with the same group of course!) I've also been asked about the skill level - the method relies on natural actions, physical / psychological misdirection, a deceptive structure and choreography rather than sleights. The level of technical skill is about the same as for a d****e l**t (which is not involved!), but in my opinion it's even easier than that (as with that sleight, often the attention is focused at exactly the wrong place i.e. where the sleight occurs - that's not the case with Lost for Words). So in general once practised it's very easy to do.

I hope that helps to clear up some of the questions that people have. I know it reads like a pipedream - but it really is 100% accurate and it uses a clever, solid, 100% dependable method based on a brand new principle. Obviously I can't be drawn into a public dissection over methodology, but what's been described is absolutely what happens - every time - and nothing has been left out. This isn't supposed to read like a sales pitch - since the trailer isn't finished yet, I wanted to be as helpful as I could. If there are any further questions ask me and I'll try to answer what I can. All orders so far have either been sent out already or (if they came in last night) will be sent out in the morning.

And a reminder that the England / Sweden game kicks off in 13 hours and 18 minutes, which is when the initial MINDS weekend £5 discount offer expires. Sorry for the long post - I'm going to get some sleep!
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Again, I witnessed it. Then bought it. Blew my mind... Simply? Get it.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3238 Posts

Profile of NeilS
It is refreshing to have a release with so much detail given and with its creator so responsive and helpful.

As a result, my order is in.

Neil
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Thanks Neil for your kind words. To be honest, I've been creating for a long time but never really had much desire to release my work - I kind of like being the only one doing it! Now just felt like the right time and the response has been amazing. I think it's important to be as open as I can, without inviting the usual round of dissection that often results in exposure on threads. I appreciate people spending their hard earned money on my thoughts so it's important to me to release only work that I think is of quality, and also try to help people make an informed choice (as much as is possible without giving the methodology away). And given that I invented the principle 16 years ago, you can be certain that this one's been tried and tested!! Thanks again for your order and for taking the time to post positive thoughts. It really does mean the world to me!
Sethekk
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Sethekk
It's very rare for creators to be so open about their effect . Taking the time to dem it for every customer shows you have great confidence in the product which makes me purchase with great confidence ! I ordered last night 😊

Thanks for all the information, I wish everyone was like this !
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Thanks! As before, it really means so much. Thank you! Although I always want to respond to everyone individually to say thanks I know that's not always practical, and I also don't want to clog up the thread, so forgive me if I don't respond to everyone, but I really appreciate your support and good vibes. Smile
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Thank you to everyone who has purchased. The game has now apparently started (!) so I have amended the cost back to £33 to the UK, £35 worldwide (including postage). All orders received so far have been packaged and either sent already, or will be sent this afternoon. Thank you and I hope you love it!
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Steve congratulations for the release!

Is this english restricted language or possible to do it in another languages?

Thank you
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Both! The principles are universal and can be applied to all languages. Most of it wouldn't require any adaptation at all, but one part exploits a property of words so is language dependent - that would have to be adapted, and you could then use your own business cards, but it should be a fairly easy task to adapt. I know a Spanish speaker who asked the same on Monday night and then emailed on Tuesday to say he'd done it - I don't think it took very long. I hope that helps!
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Thank you to everyone who has purchased so far. All orders received have been packaged and sent, so they are now on their way to you! Thank you and I hope you love it! The first batch has now nearly sold out, but based on current sales is likely to be available for a few more days. After they've sold there will be a delay of about a week for materials to arrive and to give me a chance to get them ready. Thanks again, Steve.
Gorgeous
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Gorgeous
I had the pleasure of having this demo'ed to me.

The reviews and reactions so far are not hype nor are they "friends helping friends".

The effect is as described, and is very strong. What you see is what you get. What's more, Steve is a class act, and his customer service is fantastic. He told me that my order is on the way, just hours after purchasing it.

If you are at all interested, I wouldn't hesitate.
haresign
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of haresign
The truth is that this has been a great trick for quite a while and had it been released a year ago we would still have purchased an excellent effect. I've taken great pleasure in watching Steve hone it so it's both the easiest of handlings coupled with the strongest of effects. No doubt he will continue to re-engineer it because that is Steve's way of creating. I really hope that this marks the release of some of Steve's other excellent material into the community.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Steve did this on me today and holy crap did I request a copy....

Can't wait to have this one and review it!

Talk Soon,
-Jacob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Lost for Words by Steve Wood (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL