The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New Promo Reel advice? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

obrienmagic
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
New Promo Video/ Reel for my landing page.

Curious what you guys think? How did it make you feel? What would you have done differently?

Thank you!

https://youtu.be/3LrCmXzeinE
PICK UP YOUR FREE GIFT HERE!
http://www.obrienmagic.com/signup

Want to sell your own magic creations at O'Brien Magic Shop?
http://www.obrienmagic.com/communitymarketplace

Official Magic Products
http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19064 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What exactly is the goal of the video?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8814 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yep, that is the real question to be asked before any true answers can be given.

Also, are you looking for real, honest feedback or Café twinkledust feedback (magicians helping magicians), support and general encouragement?
obrienmagic
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
What exactly is the goal of the video?


This is meant to give them a small taste of what they are getting into before reaching out and booking me. This video is what plays on my landing page/home page of my website. It is not meant to get them to my site, they should already be on my site by the time they get to this video.
PICK UP YOUR FREE GIFT HERE!
http://www.obrienmagic.com/signup

Want to sell your own magic creations at O'Brien Magic Shop?
http://www.obrienmagic.com/communitymarketplace

Official Magic Products
http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop
obrienmagic
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
Yep, that is the real question to be asked before any true answers can be given.

Also, are you looking for real, honest feedback or Café twinkledust feedback (magicians helping magicians), support and general encouragement?


I prefer constructive feedback, but not "Café I am better than you and this video sucks but I won't give you advice just gunna tell you it sucks" feedback Smile
PICK UP YOUR FREE GIFT HERE!
http://www.obrienmagic.com/signup

Want to sell your own magic creations at O'Brien Magic Shop?
http://www.obrienmagic.com/communitymarketplace

Official Magic Products
http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19064 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2018, obrienmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
What exactly is the goal of the video?


This is meant to give them a small taste of what they are getting into before reaching out and booking me. This video is what plays on my landing page/home page of my website. It is not meant to get them to my site, they should already be on my site by the time they get to this video.


For me it was a bit self centered "look at me mom". It didn't showcase a single thing that makes you Unique, or tell me why I would hire you as opposed to any other magician.

It dosn't do anything to move people along to a decision.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
obrienmagic
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2018, obrienmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
What exactly is the goal of the video?


This is meant to give them a small taste of what they are getting into before reaching out and booking me. This video is what plays on my landing page/home page of my website. It is not meant to get them to my site, they should already be on my site by the time they get to this video.


For me it was a bit self centered "look at me mom". It didn't showcase a single thing that makes you Unique, or tell me why I would hire you as opposed to any other magician.

It dosn't do anything to move people along to a decision.


Can you expand on that? Because I did my best to include as many reactions and make it about the audience as possible.
PICK UP YOUR FREE GIFT HERE!
http://www.obrienmagic.com/signup

Want to sell your own magic creations at O'Brien Magic Shop?
http://www.obrienmagic.com/communitymarketplace

Official Magic Products
http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19064 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
LOTS of reactions, but so little of you. NOTHING about what you are doing and why it is special other than the family thing, which while endearing did not move me to any sort of decision.

The thing is that I didn't see you. I saw a bunch of quotes, a lot of reactions and such but nothing that makes me know who or what you are about. It could have been literally any magician or comedian or whoever. Not to put too fine a point on it but we see too many shots of the top of your hat.

Is it "bad"? Of course not. This is why I am asking what specific function this video is trying to accomplish. I'm sure you will have a lot of others with better opinions that are more positive. But to me, and this is just one viewpoint, you only have them on the page for "X" number of minutes. You spend the fist 20 seconds of this with nothing but writing, and mugging for the camera. Maybe not the best opening if you want to grab attention.

Every aspect of the web page is designed to move them to a sale. Does this leave them with the representation you are looing for to make a decision to buy? If so then cool. As a guy who uses a LOT of variety entertainment this would not move me to do anything. I get almost NONE of what is your personality in this. Yes reactions are important, heck essential, but can't be all there is. I need to get to know YOU and why you are different from other choices out there.

To me if you have a quote about your magic being "inspirational" then some part of the video should showcase that and make me say "OH YEA"! You need to live up to your quotes in other words.

There is no real overall story told with this. What story are you trying to tell the people who watch this and what is the point of that story?

AGAIN THIS IS JUST ONE OPINION. I am not saying it is the ONLY way to do things or that it is even right for you. I am also not saying what is done is "bad" in any way. Please accept this as what it is and that is just an opinion and nothing more.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
obrienmagic
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
LOTS of reactions, but so little of you. NOTHING about what you are doing and why it is special other than the family thing, which while endearing did not move me to any sort of decision.

The thing is that I didn't see you. I saw a bunch of quotes, a lot of reactions and such but nothing that makes me know who or what you are about. It could have been literally any magician or comedian or whoever. Not to put too fine a point on it but we see too many shots of the top of your hat.

Is it "bad"? Of course not. This is why I am asking what specific function this video is trying to accomplish. I'm sure you will have a lot of others with better opinions that are more positive. But to me, and this is just one viewpoint, you only have them on the page for "X" number of minutes. You spend the fist 20 seconds of this with nothing but writing, and mugging for the camera. Maybe not the best opening if you want to grab attention.

Every aspect of the web page is designed to move them to a sale. Does this leave them with the representation you are looing for to make a decision to buy? If so then cool. As a guy who uses a LOT of variety entertainment this would not move me to do anything. I get almost NONE of what is your personality in this. Yes reactions are important, heck essential, but can't be all there is. I need to get to know YOU and why you are different from other choices out there.

To me if you have a quote about your magic being "inspirational" then some part of the video should showcase that and make me say "OH YEA"! You need to live up to your quotes in other words.

There is no real overall story told with this. What story are you trying to tell the people who watch this and what is the point of that story?

AGAIN THIS IS JUST ONE OPINION. I am not saying it is the ONLY way to do things or that it is even right for you. I am also not saying what is done is "bad" in any way. Please accept this as what it is and that is just an opinion and nothing more.


Great feedback’ THIS is what I wanted tonget for feedback. something constructive that also tries to fix it. Thanks so much. Illbe doing another one soon amd will definately take this into consideration! My goal is to AB test and see which does better between 2 vids of competing types.
PICK UP YOUR FREE GIFT HERE!
http://www.obrienmagic.com/signup

Want to sell your own magic creations at O'Brien Magic Shop?
http://www.obrienmagic.com/communitymarketplace

Official Magic Products
http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
952 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Far from an expert in this space, so take my comments as about equal to a regular person, not an expert. Heck, I will be reviewing my videos with Danny's comments in mind!

Also, my perspective is for infrequent buyers of entertainment, not agents.

- I think the video is too long. I would target a maximum of 60 seconds, rather than 2 + minutes.
- replace the music with a voiceover.
- In the voiceover, use audio of the endorsements. It doesn't matter who they are. Regular people don't know who Jeff McBride is. Video of client reaction with an audio endorsement would be better.
- use the voiceover, in your voice, to tell your story. Why are you different?
- like the family aspect at the end, but I wouldn't overdo it. All you need to communicate is that you are a family man.

Now I'm off to review my videos!

Hudson
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8814 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
There is a lot that immediately comes to mind, but since this is a service I provide that others have paid for, to be fair, I will just toss out a few quick thoughts.

A Promo video is the easiest, yet most non-descript type of video to create or use, unlike a Demo Video, Sample Video, true Sizzle Real, or other. With that said:

- The testimonials are not congruent with the rest of the content
- No real live (understandable) performance footage (or ooo/ahhh moments)
- At points very empty, just music
- No build, it actually trails off at the end
- It is in first person
- Missing narrative
- The documentary-style portion of you discussing your family seems out of place in this type of video
- It is more about you than for the recipient/viewer
- Very non-descript

For example, the Testimonial opening (which I wouldn't suggest opening with) speaks of your magic as art, which makes you then think that what you are about to see with be some kind of beautiful, different artistic magic, which never happened. As Danny said, just what appeared to me to be regular or typical magic. The one clip I watched 3 times and still don't understand what was said.

If they are already at your site to view this, there was nothing to trigger the convert, no Call to Action or other "next step"
There was no ending, climax or close to the video.

As someone who views hundreds of videos, I am the ultimate buyer. It didn't tell me "why you", what is special or unique about you, keep me interested in wanting to watch more or to decide to book you. What do I get if I book you? What are my benefits? What will my audience get? I do not feel engagement or value was established.

That's what I meant by a "me" video.

I am not sure you fully understand what a Promo Video format is and if a Promo Video is appropriate for what you are trying to do/establish. This is why Danny's question was so valid.

I agree there were reactions but to what? Non-descript magic? The hat? That you are simply a great guy? Reactions are to support or enhance the main points or segments of the video content. The sizzle, selling or convincing moments. To support the featured performance segments or highlights.

This is a great example where testimonials and actualities are not of value on their own, they must be the right testimonials and actualities, USED in the right context (as we have often discussed here before.) Who is Jeff McBride to a normal prospective client (though I like Jeff very much myself)?

Just a few quick thoughts as there is much more that could be offered as well. I hope you accept this in the constructive manner it is being offered, as I can't tell from your posts how much you truly wanted to hear as far as thoughts and feedback. I also know how frustrating it can feel when you have just spent hours working on something you have finally completed that results in things you may not want to hear.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19064 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The last part about frustration is important.

Nobody is invalidating the work put in to get this far. The HARDEST part often is something our tech guy used to call "narrowing down your options from infinity". What he meant is before you have something, the options are literally anything. That is not helpful.

So you have taken your options down from infinity and that is s good thing. Now you have to figure where to go from there. It is NOT easy and doing it just using random footage makes it even tougher. We have not even addressed any of that yet.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of thomasR
My initial thoughts...
you have a consistent appearance in various settings... that gives me an idea of how you will appear when hired to perform. That's a good thing.
It does appear that you have entertained in a variety of settings.. and it appears that in those various setting the crowd reacts well. Also a good thing.

I get no sense of how you talk or present yourself in front of an audience. Do you tell jokes? Are you serious?
I see some cards, some linking rings, and some sponge balls... that just screams "average magician" to me. Maybe you present them in a very unique way, but that doesn't come across on the video.
the family thing... I don't really understand why that's in there... it seems out of place.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8814 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Hmmm, haven't heard anything from the OP in a week now. Seems odd, or perhaps usual?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New Promo Reel advice? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL