The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Looking for a spectator cuts the aces method (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2146 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2018, dj wrote:
Bill Goodwin's "Spectator Cuts the Aces" also looks very strong:
https://www.artofmagic.com/products/spectator-cuts-the-aces

Darko

I picked this up (the price was right!) It's interesting and teaches a utility move that has lots of other applications. I'm not quite sure it suits my personal needs... I'll have to practice a bit and see how it looks. It certainly flew right by me when watching the demo.

Does anyone know where the version that Gregory Wilson performs in the video above is published?
LL=MM
dj
View Profile
Special user
619 Posts

Profile of dj
[quote]On Jul 21, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
Quote:

Does anyone know where the version that Gregory Wilson performs in the video above is published?

Pyrotechnic Pasteboards DVD.

Darko
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5404 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2018, dj wrote:
Shigeo Takagi´s "Spectator Cuts the Aces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gasE6IIfCvY

Darko

As mentioned above. Thanks for the clip.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2755 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2018, dj wrote:
Shigeo Takagi´s "Spectator Cuts the Aces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gasE6IIfCvY

Darko

As mentioned above. Thanks for the clip.

The visual deception is incredible. When I first read about this trick in the book I thought this couldn't work but that video proved me wrong. Thanks darko!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7828 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Shigeo and I spent lots of time together. He was my host when I lectured in Tokyo, spent quite a bit of time there - with him. And he visited me in New York City a few times. We discussed the concept used in that clip a few times. I don't want to go into detail about it, but check my Double Take.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Last Laugh,

Can you clarify your criteria?

You asked for "hands off" -- I took that to mean that the magician should not be turning over the aces.

Yes? No? If no, what do you mean by "hands off"?
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
253 Posts

Profile of donny
Some not mentioned, from my notes. *not all fit OP's criteria, but hey:

Giobbi has one in Card College 1. Giobbi's version is Larry Jenning's method originally named "REAPING THE ACES"...BTW, Jennings has 2 versions...(looks like Jinx Aces to me, and spec doesn't 'turn over').?

Bill Goodwin's version (from 'Reflection') used to be my top favorite because of its procedural directness.

David Solomon's 'CUTTING TO TENS'

Check out Greg Wilson's version from Pyrotechnic Pasteboards

It's on Vol. 1 of the 4-vol. "Best Ever" DVD set - just titled "Spectator Cuts The Aces. -Lorayne's

"The Spectator Really Cuts To The Aces." -Aronson

Bill Malone does "CUT'EM HIGH AND TIE" (*uses Wakeman's old handling w/ side steal.)

Eugene Burger has a nice routine on one of his DVD's.

Father Cyprian has a great version of "spectator cuts aces" as well.

Chad Long's Shuffling Lesson is nice.

"Bottom's Up Aces" -Regal

"Surprise Aces" -Jerry Mentzer

"CUT TO KILL" by Daryl

"The Hidden" -Nyman
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Donny,
Thanks for all those references. Which one do you prefer / perform ?
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
253 Posts

Profile of donny
The above mentioned are all fine pieces of art. However, 95% are more work than I want to do.
I'll do a "Spec takes four cards" and they spell-to a four of a kind (or prediction). old John Carney trick, no name, far as I know, just something he made to practice B*tt*m Deals.
"Cut to Kill" has the kicker though, if you're willing to pay the price. Smile
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2146 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2018, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Last Laugh,

Can you clarify your criteria?

You asked for "hands off" -- I took that to mean that the magician should not be turning over the aces.

Yes? No? If no, what do you mean by "hands off"?

I guess I don't have a specific meaning here, just that it appear as much as possible that the performer didn't do anything. The Bannon one for instance, the performer is holding the pack and that sort of turned me off. I think it's okay if the performer turns over the aces as long as it looks clean. But certainly, the ideal would be that the performer does not turn them over.

The effect isn't going to have much heat on it since it's more of a 'fortune telling ritual' than an ace cutting thing, so I guess I don't need to be all that picky...
LL=MM
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1280 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
Greetings friends,

I am looking for a reasonably deceptive, hands off method for 'spectator cuts the aces'.

I will not actually be using the aces, but rather 4 random looking cards that will be part of a larger 'coincidence/prediction' type effect.

I was using a Nick Trost method, but if possible I'd like something without the dealing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Which Nick Trost's method/effect were you using?

There's an interesting take on Poker Player Picnic by Richard Vollmer: Belchou Aces.

Effect:
The shuffled deck is cut by the spectator into four about equal packets and the top card of each packet turned face up. Cards are dealt according to the values of these cards, but in spite of the haphazard nature of the procedure, the four Aces are revealed!

There's even more dealing, but I believe it's well suited to a 'fortune telling ritual'.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2146 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
The one I've been using is called 'Aces from Nowhere' and it's on page 70 of The Card Magic of Nick Trost.

Thanks for the suggestion!
LL=MM
mattH
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of mattH
Harry, when is your new book coming out?
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7828 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
MattH: AND FINALLY! WILL Probably be in my hands from the printer sometime Sept/Oct. I sent out a "Befotre Ad Message" to all on my email list about ten days ago - telling all that they could order now to assure having a copy - because I'm printing enough only so that I don't have to store - getting too old for that. Many orders already in. Will be sending the actual ad to the list about mid-August.

If you'd like a copy of the "Before Ad Message" send your email address to me at harrylorayne@earthlink.net . H.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Maxyedid
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama
382 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
What IS the effect of a spectator cutting the aces? What’s actually happening, magically speaking?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5404 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2018, Maxyedid wrote:
What IS the effect of a spectator cutting the aces? What’s actually happening, magically speaking?

Spectator cuts a deck into four piles and when the 4 top cards are turned over, it is revealed that they have cut the cards in such a manner that the top card of each is a match. But not just any four of a Kind, The highest four of a kind- four aces.
It is so unlikely, so impossible, that it could only have happened by magic.
It is a wonderful effect.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Max, the premise is whatever you want it to be. It's not one-size-fits-all.

Quote:
On Aug 5, 2018, magicfish wrote:

That's not how improbability works.
rabbitok
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
26 Posts

Profile of rabbitok
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2018, Gerald Deutsch wrote:
Poker Players Picnic is in Royal road To Card Magic.

I posted a revised version on July 1, 2017 on the Perverse Magic thread of The Genii Forum.

Gosh that takes me back, my first ever magic trick ! would have been around 1970, I guess I was lucky that my first magic book was Royal Road : )
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
792 Posts

Profile of tenchu
There's something I've had a chance to perform for the top card guys, which remains officially unpublished (it's only explained on one of the closed forums):

A card is chosen (it's identity is unknown and is placed aside). The deck is then cut into four piles by four participants, and AFTER that, someone names a poker hand. The four top cards are turned over and the cards create the named poker hand, but a fifth card is needed to complete the poker hand. That card is the one that was selected at the very beginning.

Pretty cool, right?

Mike
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5404 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2018, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Max, the premise is whatever you want it to be. It's not one-size-fits-all.

Quote:
On Aug 5, 2018, magicfish wrote:

That's not how improbability works.

Incorrect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Looking for a spectator cuts the aces method (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL