The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Getting an even cut on Svengali index cards? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I have an old guillotine style paper cutter and I've been trying to make a Bulldog Deck with some index cards. But the cuts needed are so small and precise, I just can't get the short cards to come out even enough. I don't know what I need to do to make this easier on myself.
I unfortunately can't afford to take then to a professional to have it done, or I'd have done that first.

Does anyone have any advice?

I'm not sure how to sharpen my paper cutter, but it seems to be cutting ok to me, so I dunno if that's the problem.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
The guillotine cutter is not accurate from my experiences. I have found using a rotary cutter used in sewing or scrapbooking along with a jig set to the length to be more accurate.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2018, Wravyn wrote:
The guillotine cutter is not accurate from my experiences. I have found using a rotary cutter used in sewing or scrapbooking along with a jig set to the length to be more accurate.

This makes sense. I was just reading somewhere else that the guillotine style cutters actually pull the paper while it cuts it, leaving a (usually unnoticeable) diagonal cut, which will gradually get worse with the dulling of the blades.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I agree, try the rotary cutter with a homemade jig. The guillotine cutter does pull the paper.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
From experience, here is how to use a paper cutter with playing cards. You have to place the card an inch or so down from the top normally used for placing paper. Place a piece of think cardboard alone the top edge of the cutter, tape it down. Then place another piece of thick cardboard at the position of the card to be cut, and tape it down.

Now you have a template, for positioning the playing card. While cutting, place a finger close to the cutting edge, and other finger on the card, holding it down by the weight of your fingers and arm muscle. Now draw the blade down sharply while pulling the handle inward.

You should now have a perfect cut.

OR

Go to James P. Riser's website and download the PDF for converting a standard paper cutter to a Card Cutter. It is free, and with a few pieces and magnets, can create a template to hold the card. You will still have to use your finger pressure and pulling the blade against the edge of the cutting board.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I do the last part of what Bill Hegbli suggested. I have made the Riser "affordable cutter" (Under $20). It is a guillotine cutter and I have ZERO PROBLEMS. To get even cuts / angles making Svens and Strippers (both top and side cut strippers) I use a small metal "T" bracket I got at Lowes and hold it still with a couple really strong magnets under it to keep it at the same place and angle. If you care to PM me you email, I will send you some pix or even PM your cell and I can text some pix. I have had great luck,

Right now I am making some really great scalloped cards (tops or sides) with very small briefs and the "jig" I am using was a tad over $4.00.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Awesome! Great ideas. Thanks to both of you!
PM sent, Poof-daddy.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Does anyone know if a barber's strop would sharpen a guillotine cutter?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
For a bulldog deck, you can do the trimming with a sharp set of scissors. As long as you are careful, the consistency should be pretty good. Not up to the standard of a Bicycle Svengali deck, but you don’t really need that level of precision for what you are making.

Patrick
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
So, after trying all the methods shared here (thanks again, by the way), I actually got the best results from using only scissors(and of course that's the last thing I tried).

But the silver lining here is my paper cutter's sharper than ever, I've now got an adjustable guide on the board of the cutter,and a really great cutting system poof-daddy shared with me that only uses a couple very affordable, small stationary items.

So I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me with this one. I'm very pleased with the results and with the information I obtained on my search.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Getting an even cut on Svengali index cards? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL