The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Tech-based illusions (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jbbreckin
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Jbbreckin
Hi Guys I am looking for a bit of help I am wantng to start doing some of tech-based / electronic illusions any one have idea where I can start thank you
jeffl
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of jeffl
I respect that you have asked this question sincerely but I have to say in my opinion it "lacks focus", perhaps you'll respect my attempt to give it that focus by trying to answer a couple of additional questions:

- do you want to find someone to help you come up with something "unique" that reflects your particular approach to the art, or would you be content to pay for something that potentially
every other performer might be doing on TV next week and perhaps diluting its performance value to you?

- what type of device is to be incorporated in the performance that you feel makes it "tech/electronic"? It would seem that the majority of this work nowadays gets done on a smartpphone,
which by definition (at least in the US) is almost certainly on either an iOS (Apple) or Android (Google) platform. I have also seen so-called tablets (like iPads) used for this service,
and it is also conceivable that an act that at least partially plays out on a big-screen TV could also be considered "electronic". Now the use of a smartphone or tablet very frequently requires someone to write a software application and in that case someone somewhere will need to procure the services of an "app writer", and unfortunately most of the good ones will be all tied up making a living, and I tend to doubt that you would be able to offer a "pro" enough to make the devotion of his time worthwhile to him (the again there's always the local high school "code wiz" etc.). (You COULD turn YOURSELF into an app writer but the reasonableness of that depends on your talent, ambition and resources, and I need to add that a talented app writer will tend to look at problems from a different and considerably more nuanced perspective that you might.) Of course an act that uses a big screen TV just needs the patience to put together and prerecord a suitable video. Then again "tech/electronic" doesn't NECESSARILY mean "on a standard platform" and COULD very well involve something that is made to occur on a custom hardware item that could be developed on a platform like Arduino or Raspberry Pi (I won't attempt to define what those are here but you might want to learn about them if you are thinking along these lines). There is potentially another set of issues if you want to make something happen on a BORROWED cell phone and those can get even more complicated and expensive depending upon the concept.

(Let me stipulate that my knowledge of these topics is somewhat "off-kilter" to the question you asked, I have many years of experience in both electronics hardware and software development
but I have never become, nor did I ever want to, an app writer, nor do I claim knowledge of what tricks along these lines may already be commercially available, and there is likely
some information on these available on other forums on this site.)

I hope you can try and answer these and clarify your needs, then perhaps I or someone else can help provide some answers. Please understand I mean no offense, it's just that anything
that involves software development has an annoying habit of taking 10X or 20X the budgeted time and resources to produce something that you can actually use!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Did not know there was such a thing as tech-based, electronic illusions on the market. Did you see something you can reference for us to understand what you are referring to, or something similar.

Owens Magic use to build an illusion, where a person materialize in a huge person size tube. Similar to the transporter in Star Trek.

To my knowledge, there is no electronic illusions on the illusion market. Most are exclusive to the illusionist, and he had it built and designed by an expert craftsman.
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
93 Posts

Profile of David_N
Have a look at 'Split Screen' made by www.illusioncraft.co.uk
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Mario may inspire you. https://www.mariothemagician.com
He is a tech / maker magician.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Tech-based illusions (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL