The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What is the best marked deck? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pseudolus
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Pseudolus
As an experiment, I made a (red-backed) deck where I just wrote the value and suit on the backs of the cards with a red sharpie.

Doing a standard "pick a card" from a tightly fanned deck one-on-one, people spot this almost every time. However, a volunteer standing in front of a group almost never spots it, I think they are just too self-conscious about being the center of attention to notice.

It makes me wonder if spending money on a marked deck is a smart thing to do.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
627 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2018, Pseudolus wrote:
As an experiment, I made a (red-backed) deck where I just wrote the value and suit on the backs of the cards with a red sharpie.

Doing a standard "pick a card" from a tightly fanned deck one-on-one, people spot this almost every time. However, a volunteer standing in front of a group almost never spots it, I think they are just too self-conscious about being the center of attention to notice.

It makes me wonder if spending money on a marked deck is a smart thing to do.

Seeing as you're busted in every one-on-one situation with the DIY markings, I would say yes, it's probably wise to spend money on a marked deck. 😄
montanna40
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of montanna40
I’m a fan of the speed reader deck and the marksman deck
Pseudolus
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Pseudolus
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2018, Race Blakhart wrote:
Seeing as you're busted in every one-on-one situation with the DIY markings, I would say yes, it's probably wise to spend money on a marked deck. 😄

I just congratulate them on their observation skills and then use a blank-backed deck to prove I am not using marked cards. They almost never notice that those are marked with white ink.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
324 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
I bought Butterfly playing cards by Ondrej Psenicka at Magic Live. Can't wait to use these!
Jonathan Molo
www.JonathanMolo.com
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Agathon
I don't know if it has been mentioned on this thread, but Pete McCabe has a marking system. It is available at Vanishing Inc. as a download.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3238 Posts

Profile of Looch
My top 2 are :

DMC Elites (for clarity)
Penguin Marked Deck (for value)
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1369 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Marksman Reader Backs. So much you can do this with deck
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
2172 Posts

Profile of todsky
I also like the Daredevil deck. No trouble at all reading those markings, even from a distance.

Todd
TODSKY'S MAGIC SHOP: www.magicstore.ca
We carry Murphy's Magic, Ellusionist products, Bizarre Magick, etc.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1617 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Here is a quick look at a few of my decks

I give away FREE playing cards & Magic each month!
Youtube @MagicOrthodoxy
art85y
View Profile
Veteran user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
338 Posts

Profile of art85y
DMC Elites & Brooklyns - these 2 do everything I need, and I treasure them both. oh! and I don't have 20:20 vision.
Use the FORCE Luke.
RMV
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RMV
I like the penguins. Don’t need my reading glasses and enough marks that I only need a glimpse of a portion of the card. Buy in bulk and they are good value as well.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2040 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2018, DrIlluminatus wrote:
Keep it simple use the Ted Lesley marking system...

I 2nd the motion for the Ted Lesley deck, so easy to read, yet hard to see if you don’t know the secret.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1046 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, Rook wrote:
The Penguin marked Bikes are large enough for me to read without glasses (I wear bifocals) and haven't been caught out on them yet.

Is the Penguin marked deck the one with the Maidenback design, which also comes with a video tutorial by Rick Lax and one by Jon Armstrong?

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==

Want me to write a review of your playing cards or magic? Contact me via Private Message.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
745 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, EndersGame wrote:
Is the Penguin marked deck the one with the Maidenback design, which also comes with a video tutorial by Rick Lax and one by Jon Armstrong?

Yep, those are the ones!
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3425 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I have pretty much every marked deck that's come out in the last 20 years. Sort of an obsession for some reason. The range of options these days is insane and it really boils down to what you need the deck to do and whether you intend to use the deck with a stack or just as a regular shuffled deck. If the latter, I still say the Phoenix marked deck is the best. Marks are well hidden but very visible if you know they are marked. Boris' deck is the best if speed is a priority. For price point, the Penguin deck is impossible to beat.
Louigi Verona
View Profile
New user
Germany
11 Posts

Profile of Louigi Verona
I have looked at a bunch of reader decks, like the Penguin Decks and Maiden Back Marked Cards, not sure which edition. So far my favourite is Phoenix Marked Deck.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1046 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Here's a brand new marked deck to add to the list:

King & Legacy: Gold Edition

It's just been released, and the style of the marking is similar to the Dapper Deck from Vanishing Inc Magic. The back has an ornate and classy design, while the faces are quite customized, especially the court cards.

The markings are easy to read, and it doesn't require learning a system, and they are also well integrated into the pattern on the card backs. Here's the official trailer for the deck:

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==

Want me to write a review of your playing cards or magic? Contact me via Private Message.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, mrmagic0 wrote:
My personal preference is the Dekram deck. Easy to read and very hard to find for the spectator. What does Dekram spell backwards? )

Ron

OK...I give up! What does Dekram spell backwards???
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What is the best marked deck? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL