The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2004 entrée: Dan Harlan » » Cardtoon is killing my reputation » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

whodini
View Profile
Regular user
Clearwater, FL
155 Posts

Profile of whodini
Dan:

Quick story about your cardtoon deck! I bought the original cardtoon deck when it first came out... how many years ago was that?? It came and for some reason it didn't really appeal a lot to me. It went in my magic junk drawer where quite a few items lived and died that I never really latched on to.

I do magic behind the bar 5 nights a week in a resort that not only has tourists, but also a big business and local crowd. I have a large following of locals that come in to see me a few times a week. So I keep learning fresh material to feed to my die hard fans.

I was going through a busy time where I did not have enough time to practice new routines and one day I came across the old cardtoon deck I doomed to the bottom of the junk drawer. The cards were actually a little yellow from age. I picked it up and said what the heck.. I'll give it a try for a few laughs. I know no one will really enjoy it but it wll be a laugh. I streamlined the handling a little and brought it out without even a patter.
The first night I brought it out and tried it on a few die hard locals and got what I call the head jerk at the end of the routine. The head jerk is what happens to a spectator's head when they are floored. Their head actually jerks forward. I blew it off and dismissed it as a fluke. I did it again to someone else and get the exact same head jerk. I was starting to get curious. Did it a few more times and EVERYONE I did it to were absolutely blown away.

Well.. this is my problem.. I do one of the cardtoons at least 5 to ten times a night now with an involved routine and patter line. Now instead of wanting to see my ambitious card routine which I am very proud of everyone comes in asking for that stupid stickman.

Thanks for the great effect and why did it take me so many years to figure out what a killer effect it was.

Park
Believe in magic!
visit me at www.whodinimagic.com
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2586 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Whodini its too bad your just realizing the potential...

The first time I saw the original (again how long ago was that?)I was shocked! I loved it. I bought 1 and then bought 2 when it came out, just so I could show my friends again but with a another completely wild and off the wall story.

The funny thing is, I beleive as per the instructions from the original (correct me if I'm wrong) I would tell the spectators that I actually drew each picture on every card with a permenant marker....and they beleive you... Smile now that's funny, and that's how good (IMO) the cards are printed.

I haven't used the decks in a while, but it never fails, this was way ahead of it's time, and still is one of the most unique card tricks out there. It's all about entertainment, and Cardtoon delivers.

It doesn't matter which one you have, to me, you only need one of them (unless you like to come up with rediculous story lines such as I, just to show your friends again) Smile

Even the name gets a laugh during the routine.

Just excellent, and what I consider now to be a classic of magic.

P.
Brand new: MICRO TWISTER
www.masterofillusions.ca

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Manager
Northern California - United States
4399 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Dan,
not much I can add here except to say CARDTOON rocks! Smile

I saw the effect once, bought the deck and quickly came up with my own handling and comedic presentation.
Have been using this trick ever since - way cool. Naturally I've kicked myself for never having thought of something so insanely simple yet brilliant. You da man.
Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
12692 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
My patter theme for the trick revolves around how I am also an artist as well as a magician, (fact) and how I was one day thinking about a way to actually COMBINE art and magic and so I meticulosly drew all these little stick figures on the back of a deck of cards...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
whodini
View Profile
Regular user
Clearwater, FL
155 Posts

Profile of whodini
I think... or thought one of the weak areas in this effect was the fact that the cards were in order. (This is a perfect example of a magician over analyzing an effect for a lay person) So in my routine I had to develop a reason to have the cards in order. (This was in my mind not the mind of the spectators) So my reasoning in my story line quenched (again in my mind only) my doubts about the effect. Now throughout a spectator's time at the bar the cardtoon becomes a three part story line including cardtoon, farttoon (gees I hate to admit this! lol) and if they are still salivating, which they usually are, the cardtoon 2 effect is presented close to the time they are leaving. They leave the bar just shaking their heads.
Again this taught me a great lesson that there are times we have to stop thinking like magicians and look through the eyes of the spectator. This effect brought my thinking back to reality and this lesson keeps me focused as a working professional for laypeople that we need to let them decide what is a true miracle. And cardtoon is a true miracle. (Man, I hate to admit this! lol)

Park
Believe in magic!
visit me at www.whodinimagic.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26073 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Are you suggesting reworking the deck into the Si Stebbens setup? That and might make a face up spread of the deck at the start of the trick more convincing. Though is this a path we NEED to take? It might be interesting to make a deck this way. Hope it's not too much fuss. Images of ink smudged fingers and a week of hard drawing time starting form Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jeff Alan
View Profile
New user
Georgia
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Alan
Dan, I have often wondered, did you originally make this deck with a sharpie for yourself? Whats the time length on that & have you had any offers from Disney? Cartoon - The Movie!
Aim high and you won't get your shoes wet.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
878 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
The first Card-Toon deck I made was hand drawn on the back of Maverick brand cards (cheap) and took 10 hours to complete. The cards were in no particular order. It wasn't until I started performing it that I realized that having an order would make re-set MUCH easier! I considered Stebbins or similar order, but soon realized that the audience will accept "new deck" order more easily since the animation must naturally be in order as well. See? Simple.
The second deck I made was on my computer (in Freehand) and took about 8 hours to design, then prinitng was a major hassle. Imagine taping cards nine at a time to a sheet of paper and feeding them through a laser printer only to find that toner won't stick to the plastic coating. But I used the toner impression as a guide to trace with a Sharpie, only to find that the toner would cake the tip of the Sharpie after about 8 cards! Well, the tracing process took 5 more hours and 7 Sharpies!
That finished deck was sent to Hoyle (the original printer) with films of the artwork.
The reason Card-Toon is so powerful is the charm of animated stick figures in a flip-book. It connects in a nostalgic way. It resonates. Just showing the animation changes people into a more receptive mood. Now couple that with a free-choice revelation and it is magic.
Fart-Toon was also difficult to get made. Hoyle did not want that art on their back design. Sooooo, I designed a back which would simulate a Hoyle-style back but using food as the motif. If you own it, take a close look and you'll see!
Card-Toon was introduced in 1992. Did I miss any questions?
--Dan Harlan
Visit My New Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Special user
Chicago area
858 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
In August of 1994, I was doing some strolling magic and showed Cardtoon to a beautiful girl.

She is now my wife of almost 8 years.

Cardtoon is the only effect that she doesn't want to know how to do...the magic is still alive!

Thanks, Dan!
Make your show FUNNIER with Rindercella & Tim's announcements cd

funny pre-show announcements sample!

Tim Hannig Store

[email]tim@pkshow.com[/email]
Themagicquest
View Profile
New user
San Diego, Califorina
57 Posts

Profile of Themagicquest
I saw card-toon when I was seven years old it is one of the reasons that I am now a magician. Thanks so much for creating the effect, who knows maybe I would'ent be in a craft that I adore if it wasent for you! Thanks!
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
878 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
I hear stories like the two above all the time regarding Card-Toon. For me it has been resposible for relationships, getting into VIP clubs, making friends, etc.
I especially like to hear about the people who've met their spouses by showing them CT. Tim, I think it's great that she doesn't want to know how it works. Wonderful people embrace mystery.
Anyone else have any stories?
--Dan Harlan
Visit My New Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
1891 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I got card toon and fart toon as a gift when I was 10-12, somewhere in there. I still have those decks in brand-new condition sitting at home. As soon as I break for the summer, I'm going to have to dig those decks out and realise their potential. Darn you all!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
www.thebluecrown.com
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
I was walking around are local fair and my friend who was into magic at that time came up to me and showed me this card trick he had (which was card toon) I was blown away and for months he wouldn't tell me what it was and I got tierd of bieng told no when I asked. Well about 3 years ago I was in a magic shop on vaction and I found card toon and bought it was the first trick I ever learned and I still use it at least once a day. Thanks for coming up for such an awesome effect.

Josh
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I can't believe you invented Farttoon! I saw that performed at the Cuckoo's Nest in Pittsburgh, and that may well be my favorite card trick of all time. I always thought some nut must have seen Cardtoon and thought they'd make a wacky parody . . . hahahahahahahahahahahaha . . . and it was the original inventor all along, who realized that as good as Cardtoon was, it could be improved . . .

:P
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Cardtoon does rock!
So do you Dan.
Daniel Faith
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
878 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Fart-Toon resulted from Majoke Magazine, or vice-versa. One of the Evil 5 had done a parody ad of Card-Toon and showed it to me. I loved it and many more parodies followed which became Majoke. We decided to take the joke as far as we could and actually make Fart-Toon. It really is a masterpiece.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My New Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
Card-Toon is the card trick for people who think they HATE card tricks! I first saw the trick demonstrated ten years ago in a magic shop in the Union Station shopping mall--the grand historic train terminal in Indianapolis. I was stunned! I had made flip books of my own as a kid (but not on cards) and I immediately saw the appeal of this effect. It truly must be one of the most imaginitive card tricks ever invented. First of all, the idea of a little stick-figure man moving almost looks magical in itself (it really is an "illusion" in the truest sense of the word) but the idea that he actually pulls the card the spectator selected from a hat is mind-boggling, because it truly does seem that he has "come to life"!

I am starting to put a close-up act together again and Card-Toon will be the featured effect of it!
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of ashah
I'm going to get Card-Toon because of all the great things I've heard about it. Should I be getting Card-Toon #1 or #2? Are they the same except for the picture?
Shawn D
View Profile
Veteran user
Hughson,Ca
394 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I use card-toon 2. The little man gets shot out of a canon. Love it and use it every Tuesday when table hopping. I carry fart-toon around but don't do it too often unless it is in the bar area.
This trick is great!
Shawn D
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
878 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
All three decks work on the same principle but the artwork (hence the presentation) is different.
CT#1 -- Traditional. Magician, hat, rabbit...wait, card.
CT#2 -- Humorous. Circus, cannon, cards, chaos, concussion, conclusion.
FT -- Classy. Magician, hat, taco, gas, apparition, you can smell the quality.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My New Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
187 Posts

Profile of preston91
Dan;
Aaron Fisher recently did a lecture at our club and he performed "Casting Doubt", a handling of cardtoon that I quess you and he developed. Do you think that this is a better handling than the original presentation?
How do you present cardtoon when you perform it?
Thanks
Paul
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
878 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
I love Aaron's presentation. It is much better for him because he loves movies so much. I like them, but he loves them. You get a sense of that energy when he does it. Plus he has added a nice kicker. On the other hand, I'm a minimalist, so I prefer people to think I just drew a bunch of pictures on a deck. I do it exactly like the instructions, only better. I've been doing it for 12 years, so I should have improved a little!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My New Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2004 entrée: Dan Harlan » » Cardtoon is killing my reputation » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.189912 seconds, requiring 84 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [1] [9] [1] [4] [0] [3] [9]