The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sven Magic by Sven Lee Things to do Notepad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10724

I like the idea. Size is pocket friendly. Intro price and free shipping sweeten it further. Will be ordering shortly and will review on receipt.

Any other reviews in the meantime please?
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Ok, I received this and here are my thoughts.

Really liked what came out of the package. A cute little pocket notepad which looks very ordinary as a prop but classy from the quality angle. Once again the classic Svengali principle used smartly but affordably. Well printed, well produced and well packaged, it comes with an idea to correct mistakes too, if I happen to make any. The paper quality is good - I do not see any possible 'bleed' issues. And due to this, I am actually thinking of using the back side of each page for another related routine. It should last the usual wear and tear of my pocket for a fairly long time.

It is a simple "To Do List" note pad, on the face of it. But the layout is such that one could perform for 3 different specs at the same time. Included is a ebook of different ideas, very useful - sparked off several ideas in my usually inactive head too. I can think of some cool variations using the playing card reveal included on the back cover. This is clever stuff.

Although, I have not performed it yet, I like the James Bond routine included in the ebook - some great ideas here and I see it can play out in a fun manner. At $14.95 and with free shipping, this was totally worth it. I may pick up a couple more - great value for money.

Overall, very happy with my purchase.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
That is one ugly and badly "designed" pad...wow...
I've asked to be banned
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2018, IAIN wrote:
That is one ugly and badly "designed" pad...wow...

This notepad is beautiful. And well designed. And very smart. I'm saying this while ACTUALLY holding it in my hand and playing with it.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Could you post a photo of it please? Because it must look different from the shots on the page from Penguin...

I've been a designer for 20 years, would appreciate a proper look...

Thanks...
I've asked to be banned
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yeah those printed pages look very 1980
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Looks like a dollar store pad.

And is there anything wrong with that?

Maybe not.

It's all a matter of opinion- there's no proper answer to that.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2018, IAIN wrote:
I've been a designer for 20 years, would appreciate a proper look...

And I've been a designer for 21 years and intend to be one for the next 21 years at least. And I find this little pad beautiful, well thought out, well designed and well produced. You can take my word for it Smile
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2018, Tom Cutts wrote:

Very true. Exactly my point. Looks like a dollar store pad from the 80's or thereabouts. And that 1980's look lends itself to a great backstory, imo.
"Just last week, I was searching for something else but found this old little book in a box in the basement (or attic). It belonged to my late Mom (or Dad)...." well you get the idea, of course.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ok, then I now own one...it's terrifically ugly and badly laid out and no designer worth their salt would be proud of creating it...

I would post a photo, but yknow...take my word for it...

It's an ugly pad and doesn't look like anything in particular, the English is off and the pad makes no sense. Cheap pads that you find in a dollar store or pound land look high end in comparison...
I've asked to be banned
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, NeverMind wrote:
Quote:

Very true. Exactly my point. Looks like a dollar store pad from the 80's or thereabouts. And that 1980's look lends itself to a great backstory, imo.
"Just last week, I was searching for something else but found this old little book in a box in the basement (or attic). It belonged to my late Mom (or Dad)...." well you get the idea, of course.

If you have to give that many justifications to your notepad.... probably an issue there for use at a real gig.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, IAIN wrote:
Ok, then I now own one...it's terrifically ugly and badly laid out and no designer worth their salt would be proud of creating it...

It's an ugly pad and doesn't look like anything in particular, the English is off and the pad makes no sense. Cheap pads that you find in a dollar store or pound land look high end in comparison...

Thanks for the confirmation Iain
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
I disagree. I think any genuine quality designer would be proud of this pad.

Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, IAIN wrote:

NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Well, I'm planning to give this a spin at a real gig this weekend. Will surely report back.

Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, elimagic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you have to give that many justifications to your notepad.... probably an issue there for use at a real gig.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I don’t care for the look of the pad and agree that it is not a good design.
However, I don’t think that will make one bit of difference to spectators as long as it does what it is supposed to do reliably.

I also like the 3 sections inside the pad (but again, not the design) and what that could potentially offer. I’m all for bringing new options to the table just as I am with all of Brett’s new pads and additions.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Any pad is a "things to do" pad if you write THINGS TO DO at the top...
I've asked to be banned
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I just want a reliable tool that does its job, so I don't have a horse in this race. TBH, I think Brett's new Ultimate Pad has a pretty ugly cover as well. It just looked like a poor design to me when I first saw it. It really doesn't appeal to me, but I don't care because I'm really only interested in what I can do with it. So I will definitely buy it when it becomes available.

I haven't yet purchased any Svengali pads other than Brett's because I love the way those work and I feel the KOD pads and post-it pads look so innocent and the KOD pads add another layer of deception to the prop IMO. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy another brand if someone offered something new I really liked.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
I realise that this kind of thing is subjective, but that pad is almost objectively ugly.

The front cover is meh, but the inside pages.. jeez.. that is not something I'd take to a professional venue.
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Quote:
Well, I'm planning to give this a spin at a real gig this weekend. Will surely report back.

Ok, I had a chance to perform this 3 times over the last 3 weeks - the latest one at a paid gig. As I expected, it played out really nice - each time I used 3 specs at the same time. It fitted well as a phase 2 of another piece in my set.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Just another cheap knockoff?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sven Magic by Sven Lee Things to do Notepad (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL