The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Okito - Aluminum or Brass (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
I'm currently contemplating buying a S*** Okito box, Morgan dollar size. I like the look of aluminum, but brass has a higher density, and hence, weight. Have any of you tried both to compare the differences in handling due to the weight? I'm more inclined to prefer something heavier, but again, as for aesthetics, I like the non tarnish of aluminum.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
One of the things you have to take into account is the contrast between silver color coins and the brass vs those same coins in aluminum.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
You are right, Matthew! I never even thought about that. Looks like brass might be my better option. No wonder they're mostly made of brass. glad I asked.
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
You know what would look really cool? An aluminium box filled with copper coins. I know Tango weights the bottom of their okito boxes, so that they always land mouth open. I have a dollar sized aluminum okito. I carry Ike's in it. I patter about the moon landing and how some of the coins were made with a radioactive metal they brought back on the Apollo missions. Then I say how odd things happen with those coins, so I keep them in this box from NASA. The aluminium box looks more space age.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I prefer aluminium as the brass ones just look dull after a few uses and I would prefer not to have to keep polishing them to look nice again every time I have to use it.
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
I own two slot boxes, one brass and one aluminum. I also own an aluminum Boston box. While video recording my practice on coin box routines I found that the contrast with the brass box looked better, in my opinion. This video is of me practicing the four opening productions from "David Roth's Expert Coin Magic." The first three I'm using aluminum and the last one I'm using my brass box. At least on video, I feel that the color contrast with the brass makes it look better, but you can judge for yourself.

https://youtu.be/rD26kuy4L3Q

Dave
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, warren wrote:
I prefer aluminium as the brass ones just look dull after a few uses and I would prefer not to have to keep polishing them to look nice again every time I have to use it.

How does a always polished box make the effect work better? Is some spectator going to suddenly comment on it like they would if saw a highly tarnished tea service sitting in your home?

I'm not sure I understand your thinking.
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
Al, I guess it would depend on your presentation. A coin box is sort of an odd prop to start with. If your introducing it as an antique pill box or some pathing similarly old it would probably help the presentation to have it look old and tarnished. On the other hand, if you’re introducing it as something new then having it all polished might help.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2018, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2018, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, warren wrote:

How does an always polished box make the effect work better? Is some spectator going to suddenly comment on it like they would if saw a highly tarnished tea service sitting in your home?

I'm not sure I understand your thinking.

Sorry I did go a little off topic oops....I was talking from a cosmetic point of view perhaps I didn't make my self clear, some like nice looking props some are less fussy but that's what make us all different Smile
Why.So.Serious?
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Why.So.Serious?
I personally like the weight and the look of my Okito box (brass).
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Both aluminum and brass oxidize. The aluminum will naturally have a thin haze of of aluminum oxide which actually protects the metal and gives it a slightly hazy look. Brass will develop a patina, which gives it a warm and -- I think -- an attractive finish.

Aluminum is lightweight, but by contrast brass has a nice heft.

I have O-Boxes of various sizes fashioned out of a number of metals, alloys, and non-metallic materials -- they all have pros and cons.

Note that the originals were simply pasteboard pill boxes repurposed for coin tricks.
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
I have both types and I am a fan of the brass both because of the weight and the look. I also like my brass box with lots of patina on it. It fits well with the old coins Morgans or walkers that I use. -- If I was to use the aluminum I'd use newer coins Ikes (40% silver) or Kennedys ( 90% silver 1964) Silver coins just look and SOUND better.
Cristian Vidrascu
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Cristian Vidrascu
I own both types and I prefer the brass. It's significantly heavier, and thus when you open it to show it empty, the secret move is a bit easier.
mentalboy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of mentalboy
I agree with what has been said here. Brass offers better contrast and is much easier to handle because of the added weight.
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
For the record; the weight in the bottom or any part of a box just makes it easier to let go of in a deliberate, definite way. The box is turned mouth up, actually allowed to spin, by letting go of one side slightly before the other, off the thumb as it were. If you let any box fall without imparting a spin you will see they do not turn at all. A heavier box of whatever metal will be easier to manage.

Another point is how tightly the lid fits. I like the brass dollar box I use because the lid fits like a loose hat, not a finely machined lid. Too close a fit and it might as well be threaded.

For which metal, take the brass one to the (re-)plating shop and ask what they can do with it. A triple-nickel plating will look spectacular, way sharper than frosty aluminum. Or they could polish it up and give it a sealer coat to keep it shiny brass. Your coins should also be polished or, with Morgan's, a little darkness to show off some contrast.

I like a bit of patina to make the brass look like a "Magic Box". The prop is not the show, it's what you say about it and can do with it that makes you and the routine worthwhile.
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
I prefer the brass with silver coins (like the Kennedy 64 halves), the color contrast is good; however, I feel it is the sound that brass rings out that is superior to what the aluminum can deliver. Over all, I feel aluminum has an unpleasant sound in comparison to brass. As far as keeping it shiny, it a matter of maintenance. When I am finished using it, after a show, I will give it a quick rubb down with a polishing cloth and put it in its cloth bag. If you like a bit of patina, rubb it less. This polishing cloth both shines and protects. The cloth can be purchased at most music shops - brick and mortar or on-line. Of course, I do feel that I should mention that I wipe the okito box down with a cloth and some Windex before using it again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Okito - Aluminum or Brass (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL