The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » "Gear Up" Gospel magic Sunday School routine ideas (The Armor of God) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi All:

OPTIONAL INITIAL COMMENTS (nothing to with the trick itself): Our church Pastors (Doug Swink and Rick George) just completed a sermon series on "Stand and Deliver" on the "Armor of God" from Ephesians 6:10-18. To hear these messages, go to www.LighthouseOn11th.com and click on "Media" and you will see each sermon you can link on to listen to.

My wife and I wanted to share this same theme with our church Sunday School 1st-4th graders, so she obtained from www.orientaltrading.com an "Armor of God" Craft Kit for all the kids to put together and a "Carson-Dellosa Armor of God for Kids Chart" (currently out of stock) to also later review with the kids. A similar "Armor of God Wall Chart" can be obtained from www.cokesbury.com . The site www.CBD.com also has "Armor of God" postcards and "God's Armor stickers" along with "A Kid's Guide to the Armor of God" book by Pastor Tony Evans (currently on sale). While doing the trick below, I have the luxury to also pointing to the poster referenced above or to a "Full Armor of God Figure" from Dickisons (also available from www.CBD.com - which has other items as well including bookmarks and inexpensive coloring/cut out books on the "Armor of God").

Anyway, I was thinking of what magic trick I could use to help review Ephesians 6: 10-18?

THE TRICK/ROUTINE ITSELF: This is what I came up with, please feel free to add any of your thoughts/suggestions.

I decided to use the "Incredible Block Penetration (Stage Size)" which is widely available through many magic dealers. Please note, there are two sizes available for this same effect. www.AbbottMagic.com is currently selling the larger 4 inch block Stage Size version for a very reasonable $45 plus shipping. The trick itself is demonstrated all over www.youtube.com - just put in the name of this trick in the youtube search box.

This trick currently sold by Abbott's is made in India and it is reasonably well made but somewhat noisy. However, I cover the "noise" of the trick by talking loudly and clanging the plates around previously, etc.. I think it is important too that the tube is completely clean and can be slowly (even close up) and repeatedly shown, and the front and back can be displayed throughout (nothing to hide). The trick itself is all mechanical, the one I obtained from Abbott's works smoothly and easily.

I pasted two large hearts on the bottom portion/sides of the trick which are the same height as the bottom hole.

I basically use the premise that each number on the "die" (singular for dice, reminds me I am on a die-t") also REMINDS ME of each of the six "armors" mentioned in Ephesians 6.

So as I show die spot one, I talk about the importance of "Belt of Truth"- and what briefly what that means (see above sermons/material).

I point to the "two" spot on the die, briefly talk about/explain the importance of the "breastplate of righteousness".

I point to the "three" spot on the die and talk about the "feet fitted with the gospel of peace", etc. - eventually going through all six "armor" pieces. Again, see Tony Evan's book mentioned above for a thorough explanation for kids on the importance of each piece of armor.

So this routine is designed specifically as a longer more thorough Sunday School application rather than as part of an overall "stage" presentation.

I then show the empty tube slowly and completely, pointing out the bottom left/right sides of the tube have a big red heart sticker on it. "It is our goal to have our HEARTS protected by the "Armor of God".

"What are the biggest challenges of the Armor of God?" After placing the die down, I pick up steel plate #1. On the plate I have placed large letter stickers that say "GEAR UP!". "That is the biggest obstacle- the thing that blocks our way or hinders our progress- We don't actually put ON the Armor of God in the first place! Can you imagine playing football against the University of Michigan but you decided NOT to wear a helmet, or refuse to put on any pads, or even wear football shoes? You'd get clobbered! Or play hockey without a mask, or be a catcher in a big league baseball game without wearing a catcher's mask or chest guard? You'd get hurt! Yet so often, we think we can DO SPIRITUAL BATTLE without gearing up- we don't know our Bible so we don't know the Truth, we try to do things on our own without His Spirit, we act with so little faith on the promises of God already given to us! Pray on these pieces of the "armor" every day- study His Truth, act peacefully (etc.). Verse 11 says: PUT ON this armor!- yet how many of us try to do daily battle and we don't ever put the armor on!" (see the above sermon series to expand on this commentary further).

Place that steel plate # 1 in the tube.

Show the back side of the tube again. "The second challenge to our using the "Armor of God" effectively is we think we don't need it!" Show the second plate: I stuck large visible letters on it that says "EVIL".

"Verses 11 and 12 says our STRUGGLE is against the devil's SCHEMES, against the powers and spiritual forces of EVIL. Does that sound like something easy?- a cakewalk we can get through ourselves? We often don't realize this second huge obstacle against protecting our hearts- we UNDERESTIMATE our enemy. We think we can stand firm against an evil little tiny bug- not realizing our foe is actually a huge scheming wicked enemy who wants to destroy us, who shoots flaming arrows at us trying to do to us the MOST disgrace and harm."

Put in the second steel plate into the wooden square tube.

"But the Bible says if actually GEAR UP and PUT ON this Armor of God (drop the die down to the second level), AND we pray in the Spirit (verse 18) and BE STRONG in the Lord and His mighty power, then we can STAND FIRM, have our hearts protected (drop the die down to the lowest level where the hearts are on the side of the tube) extinguish the flaming arrows coming our way, staying alert, to take our stand against the devil's schemes."

Remove both steel plates, show the tube empty again again, I just leave the die alone.

Then I conclude this illustration by summarizing what was learned above or by leading the kids in a prayer "praying on" the various parts of the armor: "That God would help us learn his Truth, be righteous in our thoughts and actions, that we each be fitted with peace, live in faith and assurance, and allow His Spirit to use us every day."

My next Gospel kids routine I will publish here in early September is on the subject of money- which uses a "mirror glass" concept but instead of using a glass- involves using a gaffed out plastic drive thru bank deposit canister (rather than a glass). Smile
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I am actually doing this "Armor of God" routine on September 9 for the first time in Lighthouse Kids- would love to hear of any improvement ideas/thoughts you may have on it or on how to teach Ephesians 6: 10-18 to kids. This is a very important passage for all of us to "GEAR UP" on daily. Can't wait to try this new Gospel magic illustration out! Smile
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I PM'd you.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Fantastic routine tbaer you just sent me! Really terrific. I hope you post it in full below- very thorough well thought out routine using a trick most of us already have.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
An index card prepared by our Pastor has on it: GEAR UP Daily Pray On: Belt of Truth - Reveal Jesus/Live in integrity; Breastplate of Righteousness - Live in right relations with God; Shoes of Peace - I bring peace wherever I am; Shield of Faith - I strengthen my faith for victory over temptation; Helmet of Salvation - Protecting what goes in my mind; Sword of the Spirit - God's Word is powerful in and through my life. Ephesians 6: 10-17
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Before doing the above trick for the kids on September 9, I'm going to show first a nifty 5 minute segment #10 on The Armor of God from the DVD "Bible Activity Time Videos with Maegan Jesse" (ventriloquist) - available from Lifeway. My wife later in her class of 1st and 2nd graders is going to show the longer "Bibleman" episode on the same topic. Just a tremendous wealth of excellent material for kids available on Ephesians 6: 10-17 Gear Up!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » "Gear Up" Gospel magic Sunday School routine ideas (The Armor of God) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL