The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Of Dice and Men (the Hug/Kill trick) by Tom Stone (49 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1987 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2018, videoman wrote:
Rather than all of you spending days trying to flatten your cards, you all should be returning them and demanding refunds. I’m afraid that is the only thing that will get them to stop packing them rolled in a tube. Otherwise, they have no motivation to change their ways.

I would think Tom Stone would step in and demand a change, at least as much as he is capable of. Obviously this has already hurt sales somewhat and will no doubt continue to do so more and more. Somebody made a poor choice. They should own it and make things right.

Tom Stone has already said Vanishing Inc obtained the rights to produce it

So makes no odds to him if they sell 100 or 1000 he has already been paid

I always find it strange how magicians are happy to accept props that are not up to the purpose intended

but anything else if for example you purchased a new Light Bulb and it did not work , you would send it straight back
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
182 Posts

Profile of allan31
It's Strange nobody talk about the tutorial video… We all know English is not Tome Stone native language but instead of looking for words, it could have been great to write some lines and read them, or maybe subtitles. It's a comedy prop but all the video is so boring.

The building of the gimmick is crazy on the video ! It's so hard for Tom to put the plastic rods together, it seems we all need to put some gloves in order not to hurt ourselves...Same thing with the cards ! It's so hard to slide the cards in the rods, some people will hurt themself and the cards will tear.
And after when he is joined by a "Spectator", Tom is positionned in such a way the Spectator can see all the words on the rod !!! Is it really a tutorial ?
instead of the Spectator the have a chance to look Inside the cup at the beginning, maybe Tom should tell the guy to extend his arm with the cup… Just an idea!

I will not talk about the props you recieve because everything has already been said.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean Allan. Your post is littered with grammatical errors, strange syntax, and several spelling mistakes. Can we get someone to translate it? Smile

//Dan
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I know what Allan means, but I don't miss the irony of saying English it not Tom's native language.
I agree with the comments on the video, I said before as it doesn't have much to it it forces us to come up with our own way of working, but I would have liked to see more.
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
182 Posts

Profile of allan31
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2018, dyoung wrote:
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean Allan. Your post is littered with grammatical errors, strange syntax, and several spelling mistakes. Can we get someone to translate it? Smile

//Dan

Sorry Dan for all my errors, I'm french ! Smile I do my best to write in English… Smile Smile Smile it's not too hard to understand what I mean if you have the tutorial video and the trick itself.
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
182 Posts

Profile of allan31
Wizard product review 19-9-18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtsjfGNvS8A
admagic1
View Profile
New user
Australia
13 Posts

Profile of admagic1
I made my own as soon as I bought Tom's book, many years ago. Laminated cards, a self-made die and the spines only of a spring plastic document folder. It is one of the best mental openers out there. The "kill"/"hug" controversy should not exist...it works. I imagine there are some performers who could not pull this off with the required charm and hopefully they know who they are. It could certainly be creepy if presented incorrectly.
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
Did any have problems with the item bent with shipping ?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Read the first 6 pages of this thread.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Too much trouble.

But the simple answer is, "No, nobody has had any trouble at all.

Why?

Have you?"

According to Tom Stone,

Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, TStone wrote:
Yes, the cards are made in some kind of newfangled plastic that are nearly indestructable, so they are rolled up in the package, yet perfectly straight and flat when unpacked.

Schlecter's new and improved Ionized Magnetic Isotope Anti-Curl Powder was added to the newfangled plastic mix when this was manufactured, so yours should have no problems at all.

If for some reason you have a defective batch (and there's no way that you do!), contact Tom.

He'll send you another set.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2018, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2018, videoman wrote:
Rather than all of you spending days trying to flatten your cards, you all should be returning them and demanding refunds. I’m afraid that is the only thing that will get them to stop packing them rolled in a tube. Otherwise, they have no motivation to change their ways.

I would think Tom Stone would step in and demand a change, at least as much as he is capable of. Obviously this has already hurt sales somewhat and will no doubt continue to do so more and more. Somebody made a poor choice. They should own it and make things right.

Tom Stone has already said Vanishing Inc obtained the rights to produce it

So makes no odds to him if they sell 100 or 1000 he has already been paid

I always find it strange how magicians are happy to accept props that are not up to the purpose intended

but anything else if for example you purchased a new Light Bulb and it did not work , you would send it straight back

I hear you! People will even state that it is going in the bottom drawer instead of returning it.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Nevets
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Nevets
Sounds like there aren’t too many people here who want to give Vanishing Inc. a hug.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
To follow up on comments here, I managed to straighten mine by putting it through a laminator as suggested previously (shouldn't have to but now I have a working flat set and it's probably cheaper than trying to make my own to the same standard)

Cheap laminator, only need one lamination pouch.

Put two normal pages in the lamination pouch, put a bent card in between (close to the edge but covered by paper) - put through the machine. Cut the end off in a straight line and slide the card out from between the normal pages.
If it's flat, just stick it under a book for a few mins, if not, turn it round and put it back in-between the pages (the middle of the page seems to flatten better).

Uses one sheet and a laminator, now all flat.
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
I thought they were fixing the problem?
Elman1
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Elman1
I really liked the look of this for an opener but have been massively put off from buying it by bent-card-gate and the lack of response from Vanishing Inc. Perhaps I missed this in the thread but which Tom Stone book is this featured in as I might as well get that instead?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Well at least Mr Stone is here regularly making sure everyone is sorted one way or another.
GazelleR
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of GazelleR
It was described in his book "Maelstrom" but I think it is now out-of-print and hard to obtain.
Elman1
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Elman1
Thanks Rik that's great, I will see what I can find.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Well at least Mr Stone is here regularly making sure everyone is sorted one way or another.

Not sure if sarcasm? I sorted it by taking the advice here from someone else who suggested using the heat from a laminator. Vanishing Inc. were very helpful in their response to me, but their advice did not straighten them entirely.

Assuming I do perform this, in a couple of years if it goes well, I doubt I will be overly bothered by the fact I had to straighten the cards. Using the laminator (and maybe even the cost of buying one) is easier than me trying to make the same type of cards and get the clip/holder.

I think they should send the cards flat, but there is a way round it that means you don't have to send it back. Can be easily fixed by not curling the cards in the first place, but I do have a flat set now.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Yep, I used the laminator method, too. Still not flat, but "flat enough" to use. After all that, though, while kicking around the routine, setup, and such, I decided that I would much prefer the photo accordion display. So, I ended up making my own set anyway. One day, I'll learn, but probably not today.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Of Dice and Men (the Hug/Kill trick) by Tom Stone (49 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL