The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Beginner video to critique (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Hi all,

I have recently been trying out busking with a team of other beginners. We've been taking it in turns doing a show at the same pitch and this is only my 4th time being out there.
I had my largest crowd in this video (remember: beginner), so my friend started filming. I'll try to get a full act filmed next week which would be more useful, but since I have this footage already, I thought I'd post it up.

I'd appreciate any and all criticism, and don't be afraid to be harsh! Since the video is of my hat lines and ending, focus on that, but feedback on the rest of my show described below would be great.

https://youtu.be/sf1d3WJFOQo

The full show:

Set up: Roped off a performance space. Laid out a bucket, a coin purse and the linking rings (with a tea-towel holding them together). Had a A4 sign saying MAGIC SHOW propped up against my bag behind me. All of this is on the floor and the table in the video is not mine – I’m trying to work without a table just for fun.

Miser's dream as a draw - lots of sound produced by dropping coins and then they'd look and see magic. Stopped lots of kids this way, and then had them reach out and throw a coin at the bucket, which got them to stay. Continued free-styling with this till I had at least three separate groups/people.

One coin routine: I then dropped one coin on the floor and told everyone that they needed to come closer to see this next part. Worked like a dream - thanks Jimmy Talksalot! I continued doing this from a half kneeling position and felt that this made it more interesting to passers by.
I also described what would be coming up in my show just before starting the one coin routine and stated it would be 10 minutes.

Purse: I perform extreme burn at this point to show I can make paper money as well as coins. I then ask to borrow a note, promising to change it into a £50. (I performed extreme burn before this as I have found it made people more willing to hand over money). I then have them sign it and proceed to bill switch it into a piece of paper labelled “1 free magic trick” on one side, and “worth £50” on the other. After some byplay of giving them the ticket and returning it to see the next trick, I produce their signed bill from the purse on the floor.

Linking Rings: I basically perform Dai Vernon’s Symphony of the Rings here. I had actually only been practising it for less than a week, since the week before I was using a set of four 4” rings and I wanted a bigger act. So while I have performed with rings for many years, I was not entirely used to the 8” set in the video.

Things to improve from the video that I’ve already noted:
My outfit – I was on holiday at the time, so didn’t have anything more suitable. Next week I’ll have my waistcoat on.
Don’t say “right” at the end of asking for a massive round of applause. Something about it makes me cringe.
I plan to stop now at the chain of 6 and put them away – I think it’s a much better applause cue and ending from watching other performers.
Hat lines: remove the “if you feel like it” part. A little bit too much shuffling of feet at parts – plant my feet while delivering.
Putting away the rings was an anti-climax, so rethink that.
Don’t introduce the next performer at that moment in time. We were doing it for each other as it helped capture those people who had just joined and immediately provided an anchor for the next performer, but it took the focus away at the wrong moment.

Things I plan for next week’s show:
Change the order up a bit:
Miser’s dream - draw
One coin routine – bring them closer and introduce set
Extreme burn and bill switch but don’t reproduce the note yet – promise to give them a prize later
Linking rings, ending with the chain of 6 and put away. I’ve also worked on some more interactive moments earlier in the routine.
Hat lines
Rather than just the purse, I will have the purse covered by a pint glass that is guarded by a cuddly toy alpaca (I happen to have one – don’t judge!). I think adding this will create further intrigue as part of my set up. I will reference him at the start as my assistant who oversees guarding the purse till the end. I can now get out the purse and reproduce the signed note and hand it back to him. Then immediately pass the hat, so taking advantage of the note in hand situation.

So, I would greatly appreciate the wise words of many of the veterans in this area.
I will say that I don’t plan on being a full-time busker, and that my main motivations are to gain the skills to create a crowd and for the sheer challenge of it. But I feel like I might be catching the bug – it’s a lot of fun!
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Can't watch video. May be set as 'Private'.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Thanks Zauberman - fixed now.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Greetings David.
Thanks for sharing your offerings!

'Show-wise', you seem to know what you want to do..
and,
are doing what you know!
Great!
Keep going in this direction.
Satisfy yourself.
,....others will fall in line.

In all honesty, I think you've started really good.
You set a stage.
You created an audience.
You held them.
That's what the game is all about.
Fine tuning will come with experience.
Keep doing what you feel good with.
That's the key.

The only bit of critique I would give,
watching the two minute clip, is:
the other Performers around you.
When I perform, I like to be the focus of my space.
These guys walking around,.,
obvious Performers,
I find, it distracts my Audience from....ME!

This 'focus' is söööö(!) very important.
(Especially at the end,..for the cream.)

This one guy hopping in,
before you were even finished milking,...uhh.
That hurts.

He was probably scared he couldn't bring an Audience together himself,
..so he nailed yours.

Not only can the Audience not focus on you,
,..they think:
"Hmm,..the Shows just starting! 10 acts!..!"

I know it's more difficult,
'standing alone',
but...
that what I shoot for.

In any case,
congradulations(!)...!
Well done.
Gallagher
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
That was a nice amount of people watching. I will give you just a few things that'll help you right away...

1. Make your performing area bigger. What I mean is stretch out the rope, so you have more room to move around, but more importantly so the audience can come all the way up to the rope without feeling like they are too close. Opening your space like this will make the audience more comfortable and it'll give you some breathing room. Then make sure they come all the way (nice and tight) up to the rope.

2. Strengthen your hat line.

3. Do not let another performer start their show, by feeding off of your audience. Let your audience pay you and let the next guy build his own crowd and turn it into an audience himself.

From the video, that would be the first three things I'd suggest for you to focus on. I hope this helps a bit.
rabbitok
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
52 Posts

Profile of rabbitok
The Good, excellent handling for the Rings,though still unsure as how well it goes across to a street audience, is it engaging, magical and applause worthy enough... Applause Brings Audience !
Good level for Voice, strong , Clear
Good Audience Engagement

Room for Improvment

Less overall movement, this is the big one for most, cultivate stillness within the act, learn to make deliberate non-superfluous movement, it will do almost more than anything to portray a level of professionalism
Bigger Edge ! Unless there is a weird local council/government ordanance , edge was way to small, loses the Stage effect, plus bigger edge = more peeps = bigger earnings
Dress was already mentioned, how do I recognise you as the performer if you're dress like everyone else ? Hats are good/great... waistcoat allows for prop carry etc...
Bottling/Hatting lines : Be Confident ; You've Earned it !
MagicDaveNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
35 Posts

Profile of MagicDaveNYC
Wow! As a beginner myself I was amazed at how poised and confident you seemed. I'm usually very flustered and trying to hide it. Great Job... if you're this good at four days of performances... the sky is the limit!
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Keep up the good work I will say hi next time I pass
mike alan iam on facebook
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Thank you all for the great feedback.

Gallagher - yes, I definitely need to do it alone one day. It's made it a lot more comfortable to start near others to begin with though and I now feel more confident to try it on my own one day. That guy was very new to it and pretty new to performing magic in general too.

Cbguy - do you have an actual size suggestion? I'll definitely experiment in the future.
Agree totally with the hat line. My first time doing hat lines.

Rabbitok - I think the rings can work. I know many who have used them successfully. However, I do think it needs tweaking and shouldn't be a closer. I used it as a draw the previous week as anyone passing can clearly see the magic. I plan to use it as the middle next time and have added more interactions. Several phases will happen in their hands and they will be holding them too. So in that sense, I would say it's similar to doing a fibre optics type routine on the street. There are also lots of applause moments. I've been watching how Jeff Bcbride uses it for his Street act and there are lots of natural applause poses and surprise moments. I'd like to continue with it if nothing else to avoid the generic Gazzo performers that are everywhere in London!
Thank you for the movement tip. That's something I should definitely apply to stage too.
Are you suggesting do smaller effects to have a tighter group at the edge? I did the one coin routine at the start to build the edge, and some note stuff, but do you think all large stuff should be avoided except as a draw?

Magicdavenyc- I should point out it is my 4th day busking, but I've been performing for six years and have done a fair few close up competitions, shows and a bit of stage work. I'm also a teacher, and controlling a street audience is far easier than 30 teenagers! It was also 4 days but once a week, so I had a week to reflect and improve each time. You'll get there too Smile

Thanks Mike.

Unfortunately I can't go this week as planned, and then I'm going to be in Singapore for two months where I can't busk without a work permit there (I could be banned from ever returning!), so I'm going to have to hold off the busking for a while.
But when I return in November, I plan to do as much as possible and I'll be ready!
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
The best suggestion I have is this: When Mike Alan stops by to see you, ask if he will watch your act and give you his feedback. Not only is Mike a great working pro, but since he will be there in person, you'll get a lot more quality help than you will from those of us who are not right there with you.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2018, rabbitok wrote:

Less overall movement, this is the big one for most, cultivate stillness within the act, learn to make deliberate non-superfluous movement, it will do almost more than anything to portray a level of professionalism

Wonderful advice! Here's a powerful example:

mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2018, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2018, rabbitok wrote:

Wonderful advice! Here's a powerful example:

thank you for your kind words
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
They weren't going to tip no matter what you said, they barely wanted to clap.

A big part of that is the energy drain the hat lines caused to your routine, everyone (at least I did) got tired of waiting for you to unlink the rings and you lost their attention.

I can suggest you watch my Crowd Goes Wild lecture and just put out a tip jar they can clearly see the money in (they can't see anything in the bucket you had out). If they see money in a jar, they will know what it is for and you don't even have to ask them ... they aren't stupid, they know what a tip jar is. you just have to make it look like one and they'll figure it out. Smile

You can watch the entire video lecture for free (including example footage) and if you learn anything just drop a little something into my PayPal hat:

http://magicjoint.com/pages/magic-shop/t......d-promo/

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Thanks JoeJoe

I actually have watched your lectures before. I was mostly focused on getting a crowd at the time of watching, so that was the stuff I mainly picked up.

The bucket on the floor was used for the Miser's Dream, which was my draw. Reaching UP in the air, BANGING the coins on the side of the bucket and SEEING them appear, made it quite an effective draw (just missing the bright colours you talk about, although I think shiny counts too!).

At the front of my circle is a smaller clear jar that had money in. I had a few people tip it who had to leave for a train, so it was clear - which of course emphasises your point that they know what it means!

I definitely see your point about the hat lines draining the energy out - they were a better crowd before and I actually did get better tips with the previous group where I didn't use a hat line. I was trying out hat lines for the first time and can see now it was totally the wrong place to put it. And I guess I tried to model my hat lines on what a longer show would use, but for a ten minute sidewalk show, it's really not necessary.

Thank you for your tips - I've tipped your hat (more will come your way once I earn more with it). And especially thank you for your lectures, as they really are the best resource on getting a crowd. It was through watching yourself and Jimmy Talksalot that I was able to go from a crowd of two people to a crowd like this, and I'm sure I'll digest more details from it as my busking experience increases too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Beginner video to critique (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL