The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spirit Medium Books (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jwa2vive
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jwa2vive
I would appreciate recommendations for books about mediumship (is that the term). I was at dinner when my brother told me he had a message from our father who passed in 1966. I told him that it was BS. I have read books on mentalism and seen some very impressive mentalists over the year. I have taken a course on tarot reading where the instructor told the class to take out all of the "bad" cards. And I am aware of the work Houdini did during his life to disprove the ability to communicate with the spirit world. Yet mediums are out their and convince their subjects that they truly communicate with the subjects loved ones. I would like to find a book or books on the subject of the techniques how they are able to elicit information from the subject and tell the subject information that the subject believes the medium would have no way to have known. My brother told me that my father was willing to communicate but my step father who passed in 1981 was less willing to participate and just said hi. My brother and his wife just kept saying to me how do I explain how they know what they know. So I would like to know what are the techniques used by mediums. Thank you!
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
These two deal with legit mediumship

A complete course in mediumship by Gordon Smith

Among mediums: a scientific quest for answers

These two aproach it from a mentalism perspective

How to be a successful medium - paul voodini’s

Guerilla Q and A part 2 by Jerome Finely (the second half of the book is probably what you are looking for)
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
This might help you in your quest? https://ia802205.us.archive.org/32/items......rich.pdf
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Houdini's ghost returned in 1929 and gave the secret code to his wife ... He repented...
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Not a book but a related magazine:

https://www.lybrary.com/seance-magazine-p-922128.html
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Two confessional books by ex-mediums:

The Psychic Mafia by Lamar Keene
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1573921610/

Psychic Blues: Confessions of a Conflicted Medium by Mark Edward
https://www.amazon.com/Psychic-Blues-Con......36239272

These are both great reads.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Real mediums don't write books. They have taken a vow not to profit from their gift or they will lose it. True story!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2018, Slim King wrote:
Real mediums don't write books. They have taken a vow not to profit from their gift or they will lose it. True story!

I think the things you write here are kind of mean.
The OP asks about information which might help him to deal with a family-situation.
He asks politely and all that comes out of your keyboard is the same bs you start to write every year when it's time to promote your seance show.
This is in my opinion neither helpful nor empathic.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Well, in 2 weeks, the OP has not been back to comment or ask further questions. Either he got what he was after or lost interest.

My question would be, though, why does he want to disabuse his brother of this belief? Is it because he can't stand brother thinking this could be real (even if it brings peace and comfort) or is brother being taken for money, here? If the former, I say let people get their comfort where they can. If he is being ripped off, by all means show that the same results could be produced by trickery. Establish what it would take to prove a contact is real and ask the medium to do that. Is there a special name, a name of a pet, a computer password, or other information that is not available from anyone outside the family? If so, there's a confirmation available. And when that fails, at least there's room for brother to question the validity.

But really, comfort is sometimes really important.

-Patrick
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
Mr. Woolery,

I agree to a certain degree with what you said.
But I don't think that that is a discussion we will have in this thread. Or only amongst each other. Again. And we know where that leads.

Kind regards,
Axel
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2018, Axel wrote:
Quote:

I think the things you write here are kind of mean.
The OP asks about information which might help him to deal with a family-situation.
He asks politely and all that comes out of your keyboard is the same bs you start to write every year when it's time to promote your seance show.
This is in my opinion neither helpful nor empathic.

No.. it's in you the "meanness" dwells .. certainly not me .. I'm just helping others.
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, Slim King wrote:
Houdini's ghost returned in 1929 and gave the secret code to his wife ... He repented...

Quote:

I don't understand how you think this was helpful.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:

It's not. It's part of Slim's constant fake news...

I have nearly half a dozen published books from the Victorian era all written and paid for (the printing of I mean, out of their own pocket) by psychic mediums...

They published their Memoires and who they sat with and what happened...you can find them on eBay from time to time and even on Amazon and abebooks and other places.

Don't listen to Slim. He's got a weird agenda.
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2018, Mr. Woolery wrote:
My question would be, though, why does he want to disabuse his brother of this belief? Is it because he can't stand brother thinking this could be real (even if it brings peace and comfort)

But really, comfort is sometimes really important.

I agree that comfort and peace is important. However, no one needs a psychic experience. They just need advice, support and trained professional help. His brother might be hearing voices and it's part of bipolar or a disassociated aspect of his personality that relates to his mental health or internalised unresolved grief.

All of which is very important and needs care and attention as well as very difficult conversations.
I've asked to be banned
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Axel, you are correct. I meant to just say that and drop it, but I’m also going to respond to Iain, here.

I don’t really disagree with you, Iain, but motivation does greatly affect how someone might approach trying to change the views of a family member. And professional help isn’t always the best answer. I agree that it is almost always going to be better than a psychic, but a family member got huge comfort for more than 20 years from a psychic experience and nobody in the family would have taken that from her, so I also hold that motivation of the medium may be an important factor here.

As Axel said, this really isn’t the place and I apologize for starting things in that direction.

Patrick
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
There's at least two levels to that though...they may well have gotten a form of relief. But the implications of it are quite broad and poteivery unhealthy. And there's only a few ways you can actively measure that help.

Anyway, back to the OP...

There's lots of motivations as to why the guy wants to read up on things...Ted Andrews work might be of interest as he believed himself to be psychic and was also a bereavement counsellor...
I've asked to be banned
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
If you don't listen to me you'll just get homogenized pablum from those who do not believe in the true paranormal aspect of this world ... The kid wanted to know about Mediums "So I would like to know what are the techniques used by mediums" .. You are giving him techniques used by Magicians and Fake mediums .. There's a huge difference .. He needs to read up on Arthur Ford and Edgar Cayce...... Real Trance Mediums... Smile
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Sudo psychology not withstanding the first stage of grief is denial. (Elisabeth Kubler Ross) In this stage the grief stricken will experience life as not making sense. The rational becomes irrational and so those things outside the realm of what's "usual" would be more attractive to the griever. In stage two Anger, the bereaved will push away all that they have known and understood. In this stage the person is very susceptible to outside influences that offer a different way of seeing things. In stage three bargaining the suffering is looking for a way to make it all go away. Here is where those looking to capitalize on ones grief really can get a strong hold. Stage 4 depression, this imo is the most dangerous of all stages as we question life itself and ask if we can go on alone or without the person we are grieving about. A person depressed is less likely to to accept mumbo jumbo as they aren't accepting anything but their grief. In stage five acceptance, in this stage it would be normal to understand the permanency of the loss and begin life a new. How would one do that if being given false hope, that contact is possible with those gone? That isn't to say that there is no after life only that contact through so called mediums is ridiculous. Why would a departed contact a stranger when they could contact you directly? It makes no sense.

I'm not trying to start an argument just being logical about the so called help, a so called medium gives to the grieving. Better to just let the person pass through the stages of grief to come through stronger, in the end. Again jmo.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2018, Slim King wrote:
If you don't listen to me you'll just get homogenized pablum from those who do not believe in the true paranormal aspect of this world ... The kid wanted to know about Mediums "So I would like to know what are the techniques used by mediums" .. You are giving him techniques used by Magicians and Fake mediums .. There's a huge difference .. He needs to read up on Arthur Ford and Edgar Cayce...... Real Trance Mediums... Smile

The irony of this is Cayce wrote books on "how to do it"...

Anyway, don't bother with Slim's agenda. It's for the gullible and for those who take every thing at face value if it reinforces a belief that they can exploit.
I've asked to be banned
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Exactly why I recommended these two. They did not exploit their gifts for unsubstantiated monetary gain ... in fact Arthur Ford refused to take money from Bess Houdini or the Scientific American Even though he passed their tests!!!! Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spirit Medium Books (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL