We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell recommendations ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, SugarRayRick wrote:
I started with the shells at the start of this year.

I purchased the Street Shells from penguin magic (school of scoundrels).

I think these are considered the mid-range price wise set of shells. I've been very happy with them.

Done a lot of practice with them, and have built up a routine, based off Terry Wards routine. If you Youtube him, Terry Ward (Jack Diamond) there are a number of videos of him performing at Disneyland.

His shell routine is fantastic. Its more how he engages his audience which is great to learn off.

I've performed it about 5 times now in public. Going down a treat. OVer the next few months, I'd expect to do this a LOT more, and really refine the routine.

Thanks for your input. I have Terry's penguin lecture and he does his shell routine on there unfortunately whilst Terry is OK as a performer he isn't a very good teacher and seems to just skim over stuff and leave things out when explaining his effects which is very frustrating.

I have looked at the street shells but they have mixed reviews at penguin magic with some saying that they had to sand the bottoms down etc as I thought they would be a good place to start.

Another term I've since heard of is the channin dip which is supposed to aid in the operation of things....there seems to be quite a bit of information to take in before I make my decision.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Terry Ward and Giovanni Livera have a 3 DVD set entitled the "Art of Play". In this series Terry has a great teaching segment on his 3 shell game routine.

Small "burrs" are not unusual to find on the bottoms of resin shells. When I purchase a set of shells I will move them across my close-up pad. If I discover a snag, I take a fine grit sandpaper and LIGHTLY run the shell over the sandpaper until the snags disappear. Just one or two light strokes usually takes care of the issue.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, LeoH wrote:
Terry Ward and Giovanni Livera have a 3 DVD set entitled the "Art of Play". In this series Terry has a great teaching segment on his 3 shell game routine.

Small "burrs" are not unusual to find on the bottoms of resin shells. When I purchase a set of shells I will move them across my close-up pad. If I discover a snag, I take a fine grit sandpaper and LIGHTLY run the shell over the sandpaper until the snags disappear. Just one or two light strokes usually takes care of the issue.

I have nothing against Terry and he's obviously a respected performer but having seen terry's penguin lecture I couldn't bring myself to spend money on another product with his name on it as I mentioned earlier he doesn't teach clearly and leaves out segments which is really frustrating.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I have the vintage shells from 3shell Al and iam very happy with it.
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, LeoH wrote:

I have nothing against Terry and he's obviously a respected performer but having seen terry's penguin lecture I couldn't bring myself to spend money on another product with his name on it as I mentioned earlier he doesn't teach clearly and leaves out segments which is really frustrating.

Personally I learnt the routine from watching his different performances on Youtube - as you get to see all the different directions that the game can head in.
I paid for the Penguin lecture to give my dues - which I picked up a few subtle tips.

Here are some performances on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRQEr3QJcVo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7OAajlo89w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dJ8BHkjdnQ

I tried to purchase his 'Art of Play' originally, but it was all sold out - so hence I just learnt from his Youtube performances, which took quite some time.

With the Street Shells, mine came without burrs. Has never snagged. I don't have a bad thing to say about them, however I have nothing to compare them against.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell recommendations ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL