The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Smooth by Nicholas Lawrence (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
JohnD
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of JohnD
Yes it does slowly melt through absolutely 🙂
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I still think the pens on the market make more sense and cost so much less, that this is unnecessary and a waste of money. Just my opinion.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Whippet
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Whippet
Just received mine in the mail. Cannot remove the gimmick from the chapstick tube, making it impossible to perform the trick. So I need to return the item at my expense!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, JohnD wrote:
Yes it does slowly melt through absolutely 🙂

JohnD, you must have Ignition 2.0 because no one else's melts thru slowly.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
I still think the pens on the market make more sense and cost so much less, that this is unnecessary and a waste of money. Just my opinion.

If Smooth had come before the pens or keys there would be no preconceived notion that the Chapstick does not make sense. Again, they are 2 different effects. Smooth is not a restoration it's a penetration, with 2 objects occupying the same space at the same time, a classic plot in magic. What doesn't make sense is trying to compare the cost of the 2 effects. You're comparing apples to oranges so cost should not be a factor.
JohnD
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of JohnD
Do you palm off a gimmick at the end ?
Videoman you could call it ignition 2.0 ( if you wish ) that’s the way my handling works 🙂
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, Whippet wrote:
Just received mine in the mail. Cannot remove the gimmick from the chapstick tube, making it impossible to perform the trick. So I need to return the item at my expense!

Haven't received the props yet so hopefully there will not be a problem. But having watched most of the tutorial I can say that there is some good thinking here and I like what I see. Nicholas's developments with this are very good. There are advantages to this that you don't have with other X thru anything props.

Carrying a Chapstick is pretty normal so using it in a trick makes sense. Haven't really thought it through but I think there may be a cute story by showing the picture on the bill and explaining how in those days simple problems we take for granted were a much bigger deal. In fact dry lips almost destroyed the country, blah, blah, whatever. Point is I think it shouldn't be too hard to tie the Chapstick and bill together and then do some eye candy. I agree the trick is kind of silly so I will play up the silliness. It's not a bug, it's a feature. Smile
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
^ Same here. Just watched the video. Gimmick is probably one of the most clever things I have seen in a while.

I love Ignition, but you couldn't really keep the key and gimmick together on your key chain without risk of losing the gimmick. The benefit here is that all of it is self contained, on the chapstick, ready to go in the pocket...all in one place. I love that.

And yeah, the same chapstick done in the effect is the one handed out. There is some minor clean up, but again, all of it self contained. There is no other tube of chapstick you need to have on you. That's how clever this is.

Now I can't wait to actually receive this!
Whippet
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Whippet
In fairness to Penguin Magic, I must say that I contacted their support team and described my problem (see my earlier post). No questions asked, they will send me a replacement at no cost to me. I have found Penguin's customer service to be excellent.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have this, and I too really like it. I don't compare it to any other similar product because my audience isn't going to. I look at it as a completely stand alone item. To me, the blunt end going through the bill is more like CGI where someone can push their arm through a wall like a ghostly image. I was super impressed with how he designed this so that you end completely clean with a regular chapstick. I wasn't expecting that, but Nicholas Lawrence is one who thinks things ALL the way through. His reputation is growing to something like "magic genius".

KJ
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I just watch the download and I have to say wow really cool
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
If I were to perform this, I’d borrow a bill, openly place a 3/4” or 1” black Avery® Removable Round Color-Coding Label in the center of one side of the bill, place another one of the stickers in the center of the other side of the bill, and perform this as a portable hole type of effect.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:

"Makes more sense"? That's only because you're confused about what the effect is.

Here's Fitzkee's list of the types of magic. That might help you.

1. Production (Appearance, creation, multiplication)
2. Vanish (Disappearance, obliteration)
3. Transposition (Change in location)
4. Transformation (Change in appearance. character or identity)
5. Penetration (One solid through another)
6. Restoration (Making the destroyed whole)
7. Animation (Movement imparted to the inanimate)
8. Anti-Gravity (Levitation and change in weight)
9. Attraction (Mysterious adhesion)
10. Sympathetic Reaction (Sympathetic response)
11. Invulnerability (Injury proof)
12. Physical Anomaly (Contradictions, abnormalities, freaks)
13. Spectator Failure (Magicians' challenge)
14. Control (Mind over the inanimate)
15. Identification (Specific discovery)
16. Thought Reading (Mental perception, mind reading)
17. Thought Transmission (Thought projection and transference)
18. Prediction (Foretelling the future)
19. Extra-Sensory Perception (Unusual perception, other than mind)
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
This is one slick product. It seems like he's eliminated any possible weaknesses with his design.

I don't see too many NEW magic effects that are this well thought out.

Looks like a winner to me.

I've just seen the video, so I don't have any 'hands on' experience yet, but I'm sure it will be great.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, Joe Roberts wrote:
Quote:

"Makes more sense"? That's only because you're confused about what the effect is.

Not only am I not confused but I think your assumption that I'm not familiar with Fitzkee, just shows an ignorance to me and my magic education. A more respectful and appropriate response would have been to just disagree. Try it the next time your giving feedback to me and I'm sure I would be more open to your comment.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
JohnD
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of JohnD
Is the clean up similar to sharpie through note etc ?
Ie You have to hold out the extra piece ? 🙂
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2018, Larry Davidson wrote:
If I were to perform this, I’d borrow a bill, openly place a 3/4” or 1” black Avery® Removable Round Color-Coding Label in the center of one side of the bill, place another one of the stickers in the center of the other side of the bill, and perform this as a portable hole type of effect.

Already mentioned. It’s a good idea, although I’d only place one on. I wonder if you can buy the exact size?
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Thanks for the refresher of the Nineteen Basic Effects from The Trick Brain ... but that was a "little" insulting to Senor Fabuloso.

Oscar
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of macc
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2018, Joe Roberts wrote:
You're confusing two different types of tricks (a penetration and a restoration).

Key/pen through bill don't work because of the "shock value of wrecking the bill." (There's nothing "shocking" about poking a hole in a bill.)

Actually it really can be shocking when you use the spectators bill. When I was a kid I watched David Copperfield tapes over and over and in slomo trying to figure out his tricks.

I didn´t figure out exactly how misled works. But the basic concept of misled. So I modified a pencil. One day I was with my mother in a tavern and approached an elderly man. I asked him for a bill.
And right after I pushed the pencil through the bill he slapped me in the face.

He really was relieved after I "restored" the bill. So I would definitely say that pushing a pen through a bill can be shocking. ;D
tomdeg
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
Received mine today, just briefly examined it... very clever, it IS & IS NOT what I expected, (if that makes sense, it may to those that have it).
Going to work with it a little. I already do sharpie thru bill, so will see how this plays out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Smooth by Nicholas Lawrence (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL