The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Does Coin Size Affect the Effect? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

will lane
View Profile
Regular user
Will likes to post so he has made
160 Posts

Profile of will lane
In my mind, a bigger coin is likely not only easier to handle (in some aspects), but it has more visual flare and will catch the audience's eye more. Like a small diamond ring compared to a big diamond ring. Plus, when a big coin is vanished, the space left is a bigger space compared to the space left compared to a small coin. And the flipside of that would seem to be true.

But, is all that actually true? For us in the US, the most biggest coin of common use is the quarter, which is small by half dollar or Morgan dollar comparisons. I definitely think half dollars look better aesthetically, but does the audience think so too compared to quarters or smaller coins? Would the same routine that I do with half dollars, instead doing them with quarters, would that routine hit just as hard?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5214 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Use the coins with which you can move best. If they are dollar coins, consider half dollars IF you will be performing in the spectators' hands. Always have some quarter effects available in your mind for the times you decide to work only with borrowed change.

Jim
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
I don't think spectators notice the size disparity as much between half dollars and quarters, but they will notice the disparity between a silver dollar sized coin and quarter. In my experience, a Canadian Silver Dollar (very slightly smaller than a US Silver Dollar) seems to be the visual cut off for when the coin will register as "big" to a spectator. FYI I use Philippines Silver Pesos (same size as a Canadian Silver Dollar) for most of my work.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5214 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Hey Evan, I got the half dollar/dollar in the spec's hand advice from Curtis Kam. Not directly of course, but from his lecture notes and posts he has made here on the Café.

Take care.

Jim
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Lots of good talk here. Smile

Whatever's most comfortable works best. That said, most folks probably use half dollar size coins for fit and visibility. Dollar size coins are even more visual but can be more challenging to use for most. But it's good to play with them all, even mix their usage. I do a trick, ReVisiTeD that utilizes both a half dollar and a dollar size Chinese coin. In this effect, specs experience the real differences between the two coins as to size and over-all visualness, and I think it makes repeated deeper impressions upon them during the routine, again and again. Plus, in doing effects like this, you stay comfortable with both size coins.

There's also a lot of good tricks out there with smaller coins, from pennies to quarters. They may take a bit more handle to them, but there's some goodies out there worth the effort. Quarters are good to use if you like asking specs for the coins, because they are more likely to have them, and they'll be about the largest coins they would have on them nowadays. They are decent to do effects with and should be played with a bit just so you're not thrown off by them.

In general for me, I like to do coins across effects with half dollars for more comfortable handling. I prefer a One Coin Trick or a 3-Fly with dollar size coins like Morgans for the greater visual impact. And at the moment I'm just having a ball playing with a new , sorta off-beat effect called "F I T," which is done with a quarter. So, it's all good. Smile
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Does Coin Size Affect the Effect? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL