The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » UK Insurance help needed please... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wide Viewing Angle
View Profile
New user
UK
3 Posts

Profile of Wide Viewing Angle
Hi,
Been a long time lurker but can't find the info I'm looking for. I am looking for UK Stage Hypnosis insurance with trance cover/psychological damage.
I have spoken to some insurers and they all will happily cover claims whilst audience is on way to stage, trips falls etc, but not on stage. This I understand and is fine, as the stage is the performers responsibility.

However, finding a UK company that supplies psychological cover is proving difficult. Is this now impossible to get through a UK insurance company or do I have to go through a certain sunny Crown territory?
Any ideas? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

PS I am not performing.
PPS You can send me a private message if you prefer
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
What is "Trance cover"? Are you planning on using a 'trance like' effect in your show? If yes or no, what is the insurance supposed to protect you from? Either you want to use a trance like effect in your act, in which case you do, or you don't and you don't. So what danger do you think is going to happen when using this trance effect in your act?

And you wish to be covered for psychological damage? Why? Where you thinking of causing any?

It really is like me contacting an Insurance company and saying "Hi, I want to drink and drive and have hitting and killing people at high speed insurance please!" - Should I be surprised if I can't get cover for that?
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
I think equity have the insurance cover you need.
Wide Viewing Angle
View Profile
New user
UK
3 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, Shrubsole wrote:
What is "Trance cover"? Are you planning on using a 'trance like' effect in your show? If yes or no, what is the insurance supposed to protect you from? Either you want to use a trance like effect in your act, in which case you do, or you don't and you don't. So what danger do you think is going to happen when using this trance effect in your act?

And you wish to be covered for psychological damage? Why? Where you thinking of causing any?

It really is like me contacting an Insurance company and saying "Hi, I want to drink and drive and have hitting and killing people at high speed insurance please!" - Should I be surprised if I can't get cover for that?

Trance cover is my old (and others) short way saying the following in the certificate of insurance, under Occupation/Business: "Stage hypnotist show including talk with audience,invite persons on stage, induction,routines and bringing out of hypnosis". Well, that's what it used to say back in 2010 on the old Hencilla Hanworth contract under written by Royal Sun and Alliance.

I understand it is probably written differently in the Ins Certs these days.

Psychological cover would be written into the certificate so as to cover for any eventualities after the show, up to 5 years, if I remember correctly. For me, I don't cause damage, just covering my rear in today's No win, No fee layer free for all.

And yes, I can get cover. If standard insurance covering the basics but not on stage or psychological cover, then 200-300 quid.
If full cover including psychological and on stage, then £800-£1000 through Hencilla, Hancox etc.
Maybe I should have asked, is anyone able to get FULL cover for a SENSIBLE amount without having to go through the seemingly only 2 companies that offer it at a silly premium?
Is Equity cheapest?
Thanks
Wide Viewing Angle
View Profile
New user
UK
3 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, catweazle wrote:
I think equity have the insurance cover you need.

Thanks catweazle
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I thought that in the UK, hypnosis was not officially recognized and you are not allowed to advertise it as part of you act.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
59 Posts

Profile of Nem
Can't speak to the companies offering this type ins, but better safe than sorry. We all live in a very litigious society today. You never know if a person has some mental issues that will later come back to bite you.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2019, ringmaster wrote:
I thought that in the UK, hypnosis was not officially recognized and you are not allowed to advertise it as part of you act.

Not only is it fully recognised in the UK, we have a whole Act of Parliament concerning it, in the Hypnosis Act 1952.

We do have hypnosis acts going out and advertised as hypnosis acts but there are some very out-of-date hoops you have to jump through because of that Act. If you are following the law then to put on a performance you must get permission from your local authority for each and every performance. You can get this but, of course, before they will allow you they will cover their own backs and ask if you are insured.

Getting insurance can be problematical as your average insurance company doesn't know what hypnosis is or isn't, but may have heard of ridiculous scare stories and so just charge an enormous amount to cover themselves and put you off getting it.

It really is time that The Hypnotism act was re-visited or just removed.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I believe there are international insurance companies or companies that specialize in entertainment insurance policies that woud cover this. They are required for all touring performers from the tour venues.

Here in the states most of them (entertainment insurance companies) cover stage hypnosis (not street or ambush hypnosis) if I remember correctly (unless that has changed in the last couple of years).
RobertTemple
View Profile
Regular user
Newcastle, UK
174 Posts

Profile of RobertTemple
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
How much does it cost Robert? And does it cover the participants while on stage? I am planning something new just now. Not a show as such more of a seminar but will include hypnosis.
Martin S Taylor
View Profile
New user
London, UK
9 Posts

Profile of Martin S Taylor
The Federation of Ethical Stage Hypnotists (FESH) will offer you some useful advice, and recommend insurers depending on what you need. Check out www.fesh.co.uk for contact details.
--
Signature deleted by SysOp owing to offensive content.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » UK Insurance help needed please... (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL