The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hobby Collecting (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Noodleboy
View Profile

Portland, Oregon
0 Posts

Profile of Noodleboy
Hello everybody! I have just recently caught the magic bug and am hoping to get enough material mastered to start performing some short shows in the next few months (We'll see how that goes). I used to be a professional juggler and was a very early contact juggler (I first started contact juggling in 1991 or 1992). I still juggle for fun and might do an odd gig here or there. I am also a professional improv performer and do murder mystery shows. So, I'm no stranger to performance of many types.

Being a juggler for so long, I have been on the edge of the magic community for a long time. Back in the 90's, I was hired by Samsung to fly out to Germany to perform contact juggling at their space at CeBIT along with another juggler and a magician. I wish I could remember that magician's name... he was a really excellent coin magician. Prior to that trip, I'd never really seen good close-up magic. I'd messed around with some S.S. Adams Magic tricks when I was a pre-teen, but was always rather disappointed.

As time went on, I met a number of magicians through various events (renaissance fairs, street shows, etc) and learned a lot of principles, but never practiced much. I did learn Out of This World and perform it now and then for friends, but have never worked it into any sort of show.

Recently, I started watching clips from Fool Us. Some tricks, I could spot myself. But the hints that Penn would give were sometimes enough to clue me in. More often, they were enough to perk my interest. I could often pick out a magician name, or a concept or trick name (This is actually how I learned the name of Out of This World, which I'd been performing for probably close to 20 years). This lead me to more internet searches and pretty soon I found myself wanting to jump in.

So, now I am at what I expect is my most frustrating time in magic. I've purchased some instructional videos, some gaffs and gimmicks, and am practicing a fair bit and eager to try things out. But I am not very good yet, so I gotta keep it private for now. With juggling, I can show off the minute I can sorta do a trick. If I drop, I can just try again! Magic isn't so forgiving. I need to make some magician friends! Happily, my local magic shop is hosting an after hours gathering next week. I'm really looking forward to meeting some local folks to learn from and with!

Well, this is way too long, so I'll sign off for now. Looking forward to learning from all of you!

-Lance Coombes (I have a request in to change my username to this as well)
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4955 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Welcome Noodleboy! I'm curious how you arrived at your User Name?

You are approaching this in the exact right way...not performing until you are ready. So many beginners feel a little confident with a routine, or have been told that they were good by some well-meaning friends or family, that they set out to show their magic to everyone, even though their performances may be lackluster and subpar at best. It doesn't due the art of magic any favors.

Develop your character, your script, your routine, your blocking (if you are on stage)...and every nuance you can think of, first...and then perform.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3583 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Noodleboy,

Fortunately, being a Juggler, you are no stranger to practice.

It helps to practice imagining a friendly, supportive audience.

I do some Contact Juggling but I'm not very good. I know what you mean about being able to use Juggling before it is perfect as apposed to Magic.

Best of luck and hard work.

- Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hobby Collecting (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL