The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying balls issues (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stevious
View Profile
New user
Poland
76 Posts

Profile of Stevious
Hello folks
I wanted to perform classic multiplying balls routine, I'm an amateur so for a long time I used silly small 1.3 inches plastic balls (3.3cm). I recently purchased new silicon balls ordered from China, those are 1.7 inches (4.3 cm), but one thing bothers me, I got 4 balls and 2 s***ls, together they can cover the whole regular ball, which means they are quite big, I'm slightly afraid to show the ball from both sides.

I've seen some manipulators produce instantly 4 balls just from 2 balls, for that routine having two s***ls this big makes sense to me, they cover the whole normal ball.

Personally I prefer multiplying balls more slowly, showing the balls from both sides. I bought Salvano's dvd about his multiplying balls routine and it fits me well.

So I thought about shortening my s***l, cutting 3-5mm, making it smaller, less standing out, is it a normal idea?

What is the right ratio of the s***l covering the normal ball? 50% is quite a lot. I will manage to get old wooden balls quite soon, maybe those will suit me.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21064 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry to inform you are all wrong. a good shell does cover 50%. So that you can show both sides. If at some point you want to do a color change, then the other color will show up.

On wooden balls, it is all in the lath machine and how they are shaped.

Your 2nd assumption is also incorrect, you only use one shell, the other is for use when you break the other one.

Of course you can get Bond Lee's DVD and learn how to use both shells in a routine.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Stevious
View Profile
New user
Poland
76 Posts

Profile of Stevious
The edge of the shell is quite thick, perhaps 2 mm, the inside is plastic brown, when showing the ball from both sides, everyone can see this brown edge. I might have to paint it red. I thought that the shell should be smaller covering around 45% of normal ball, and not that thick.
rafaelgmagic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of rafaelgmagic
Hi Stevious,

In my experience, all silicon sets have thicker sh****. I've used a Fakini set for almost a decade now, and I can tell you that it took me some time to get used to the thickness of the sh****. I highly recommend that you paint your set and don't worry about the thickness. People barely notice this at a distance and it will help you later with more advanced techniques that require double sh***.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4923 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I own and have used every size silicone ball available, always using the Fakini balls. They all have a thicker shell but with proper handling, it isn't noticeable. Turning the hand briefly to show the ball all around is all that is necessary and from a short distance, the edge of the shell will not be seen. However, the inside of the shell should be the same color as the balls. It sounds like you purchased an inferior set made in China. You can paint the shell but it may cause it to stick to the ball. Silicone balls have the color molded in rather than painted on.

There are many routines and possibilities with two shells. It's all up to your creativity. They are not shipped with the set to provide a backup in case one breaks. They are included to be used in a routine.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21064 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, you can do the instant one to three balls between the fingers, with one ball and 2 shells, but without the proper methods, it will even harder to accomplish, and the Original Poster, sounds like he does not have any instructions.

Being he is just starting out, I would think, more references might help him. He did pick on of the harder DVD's to start with, and the routine is not anywhere near want can be accomplished with them. I have the Salvano's DVD as well, he has his own style, but it will take many hours to get the body movements down.

My advice is don't mess with the shells.

Stevious
View Profile
New user
Poland
76 Posts

Profile of Stevious
Thank you for your advice.

I just painted one of the shells, it looks a bit better now, I will see later if the paint stays on for long. I've spent 35$ for those, so I thought that quality will be sufficient. I suppose the only reason they make the shell so big nowadays is to use both shells simultaneously, both covering one normal ball.

I managed to aquire a very old set of wooden balls from a legendary illusionist, those are completely different. The shell is no bigger than a normal ball, you can show the balls slowly from both sides, however those are very slippery, I won't be able to handle them soon.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I've got the Bond Lee Manipulation balls and they are exactly as you describe, 2 shells fit over 1 ball. That's how they are designed.

I'm able to toss the ball with 1 shell on it in the air and catch it and it looks fine. Between that and turning it as I show it, I've never had the problem you are describing but I am probably doing way more simple moves than you are trying to do.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21064 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Stevious, I believe, I know what set of silicon balls you purchased, the shells are over size and sloppy fitting, and are only thin plastic. I returned mine the day I got them.

Of course wood balls would be made differently then injection molded silicon balls. Wood shells are 1/8" larger then the ball it is covering on the outside. If you have a once inch ball, there is no way you can put a one inch shell on top of it.

I have recommended the white and Red JIELI sets on eBay for around $27 for a set of 4 and 2 shells. They are made in Hong Kong and receive in the U.S. in about 3 weeks.

Stevious
View Profile
New user
Poland
76 Posts

Profile of Stevious
Those are the balls I purchased, pity I've already spent quite a lot $$ for 2 sets of balls. I ordered them from China via Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Doowops-Deluxe-Mu......7FQ87VB3

https://files.fm/u/s5tm8wea

I could paint the shell from the wooden balls set and use it with those silicon balls, it fits them well, however it's a relic not to be altered in any way.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21064 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Stevious, I see nothing wrong with the balls you purchased. If you want to paint the inside of the shell red, that may be okay, except it could change how it looks from the front when back light shines through.

You are holding the balls wrong in the photos, you only hold them by your fingertips, not deep to the 2nd knuckle. I believe you just need proper instructions on performing with Billiard Balls.

Stevious
View Profile
New user
Poland
76 Posts

Profile of Stevious
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Stevious, I see nothing wrong with the balls you purchased. If you want to paint the inside of the shell red, that may be okay, except it could change how it looks from the front when back light shines through.

Glad to hear they are not so bad as I have thought. I'd rather have a smaller shell, but I will get used to those for a while.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21064 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Look at what Stevious has accomplished with those billiard balls, very good routine by Salvano, and Stevious does credit to Salvano's work.

misterbill
View Profile
Elite user
Bill Thompson
414 Posts

Profile of misterbill
That was nice!
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Grey
View Profile
New user
Portland, OR
39 Posts

Profile of Grey
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Look at what Stevious has accomplished with those billiard balls, very good routine by Salvano, and Stevious does credit to Salvano's work.

Well done!
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. Jim Elliot 1927-1956
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying balls issues (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL